Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with stability leaving corners, mainly long sweepers. I'm familiar with adjusting suspension and the theory behind it due to racing motocross since I was 8. Making my way into asphalt world so I'll take all the advice I can get. I ride mainly mountains and around some country roads, but I don't ride easy.
My mods are as follows:
Austin racing exhaust
XplaneR1 custom tuning
Tires: pirelli diablo corsa 3's

I've adjusted the front and rear already to a setup someone recommend. It's good everywhere except on hard exits. Adjustment are as follows:
Drop forks 2mm. 8.5 total
Fork preload 0
Compression 20 out
Rebound 25 out

Shock
Low speed 16 out
High speed 3.5 out
Rebound 16 out

Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming out of the apex the rear starts to wobble, but it doesn't feel like the tire is losing grip any. I think maybe it trying to rebound too fast so I'm gonna slow it down some. Note that the corners I' talking about are high speed sweepers 90entry to 130 exits

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think I went 2 clicks in from the stock settings on the rebound for the shock. That's -10 I believe out.

-16 out that you are running is pretty loose I would think

·
Registered
276 Posts
The smart guys are going to start with making sure you have the basics covered - ride wt. vs spring rating, correct sag, tire pressure. Don't ask me anything beyond that, I'm no expert!

I did run a set of Corsa 3's on my Ducati 1098S and did a couple of track days with them too. I thought they were great mid-performance tires overall, but nowhere near the best available. When pushed hard they got scary. How that translates to what you are feeling on corner exit, again - I don't know!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Coming out of the apex the rear starts to wobble, but it doesn't feel like the tire is losing grip any. I think maybe it trying to rebound too fast so I'm gonna slow it down some. Note that the corners I' talking about are high speed sweepers 90entry to 130 exits
That makes it sound like you're describing the shock pumping. When I raced on the stock shock, I had to turn the rebound all the way in and it still rebounded too hard. I should mention I was also running a 100 N/mm spring in the rear which would make the rebound damping less effective. I have a friend that is racing on stock suspension now with stock springs and he has rebound turned all or nearly all the way in as well. Also, I believe I was at 8 clicks out on compression on the shock.

So in summary, it sounds like you need to try closing up both compression and rebound damping a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OP, any update on your settings. Btw, what is your weight? With zero preload I assume the front will dive significantly with hard braking?

·
my genius knows no bounds
429 Posts
yes it will. i run 0 preload for the street and even just weighing 150 i can get the front to go down like a new york hooker

as for the OP, hes saying.. rear feels like its moving around but tire doesnt feel like its sliding. this is usually rebound. hes probly experiencing a funky geometry thing that happens when the bike feels like the rear wants to steer itself around the steering stem. per dave moss, thats rebound. tweak that a bit and probly be ok.

all this of course after double checking the usual.. especially rider sag, front and rear.. and therefore rear preload. if the rear is collapsing under ya as you really get on the gas, that would be equally problematic.

=)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you go to the sportrider website,they have the settings they use on their test bikes and the numbers are way off what was recommended to you. They also have a very comprehensive article on suspension set up.

·
Ya I track it
113 Posts
As stated above Pirellis have much softer and more carcass flex then other tires. Alot of what you are feeling I call Pirelli squish. They squish to conform and grip. Takes I but to get used to and read. But that's is all feed back the tire is giving you, some like it others dont.

·
Ya I track it
113 Posts
The other thing you should have done is a Sag set up for your weight and riding position. Dont go off of settings and numbers someone else is giving you. That may work for them or what they think works for them. You and your bike are unique and work together... make sure you're adjusting suspension properly and have your sag setting set to your weight and rising position

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
With everything wound out sounds like you have it set to softest possible which is probably great on the street, but may feel a little soft on the track.
As mentioned already you probably need to start adding back some rebound damping.
Also you say you dropped the forks? Do you mean you dropped the top yoke/raised the forks?

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
As stated above Pirellis have much softer and more carcass flex then other tires. Alot of what you are feeling I call Pirelli squish. They squish to conform and grip. Takes I but to get used to and read. But that's is all feed back the tire is giving you, some like it others dont.
I've been running the Pirelli Corsa's for years and love the squish you're describing. Gives a great feel for what's happening in the rear. Like you said, some like it, some don't, it's all preference. :33:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts