Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I have a 2015 Yamaha R1 with an akra slip on and a link pipe. To be able to ride it on trackdays I have to have the catalyst in place (for noise restrictions). Though I would like to run the bike on the street with the cat removed. (Because of the lovely exhaust note).

Is it:
A) Possible to use an ECU flashing tool and load two different maps? One for the factory one and one for the unrestricted, full exhaust so I can easily switch between them? (ie. dont have to remove the ecu each time to flash)

B) Possible to ride the bike with the unrestricted map and the catalyst in place to just be switching between the cat and the linkpipe?

Obviously would have been the best option to have a DB-killer for track days, but noone have been able to get one quiet enough for the akra.

Best regards

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Haugormen, I am sure that is possible, I am getting race 4 maps.
That is in the UK Seton Tuning generation 7, modes will then become race maps. Due to the latest events it had to be cancelled but it will be flashed and mapped when things return to normal.
You will have to have it done in both guises, with each exhaust.
I love the Akro exhausts they sound beautiful but unfortunately they won't pass the the track noise tests in the UK. Mine has a MHP exhaust that has two little silencers in the belly and I have two end cans, Tbh the latest can I had made for it, does not sound much louder, as it just the end can being changed it probably does not effect it much. I am sure if you get it mapped and flashed with both exhausts and then both maps loaded or flashed onto the ecu, then you will be able to switch between the two maps. The only other way is to fit a Dynojet Powercomander 5 get it mapped with both exhausts and with the map switch they sell you will be able to switch between the two maps from the clipon.
I have only had my 2015 for a year so still learning myself.
You can see the the little silencers where the cat was, when it was flashed with this exhaust but a different end can, the quiet one 102db, the dyno sheet shows 197.63hp at the back wheel.
Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could probably be able to download the maps for the Pcv on the Dynojet website. They do set maps for oem and Akro exhausts.
Just need a map switch to switch between the two. Give dynojet a ring they are always helpful, if they do the two maps, you could do it yourself no need to go to a tuning shop. Or have a look on their site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! So Dynojet is offering this option.

One thing Ive always been curious about is if these piggy back units give as good results as a flash tune for the ecu?

Ive always thought that more parameteres were changed when flashtuning? And that only some of the powerband where tuned with ie the PCV?

The throttle response is choppy down low. That is one thing i hope to eliminate with a tune. Wouldnt that be hard with a standard PCV?

As for the silencer. Was maybe thinking that modifying one of these to fit with the midpipe would maybe bring it down to below 100db?

That accompanied with the silencer for the triangel, titanium end can.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can only change the AFR, so basically the fuel, but you can't adjust the ignition timing with a Pcv. Mine has been flashed but that initial throttle opening from a closed throttle is not quite to my liking so I am getting it done again. Mine has a Fectu flash with the autoblipper enabled. The Woolich is great too. and if you are not happy with the choppy throttle, I would get it done all at the same time also you could have the autoblipper enabled too, you would have to check that with Woolich first. With mine you have have to have a Translogic Durashift and and small Translogic box for it to work, all that work was done by the previous owner.
Tbh if you need the throttle sorting you may as well get it flashed with each exhaust and a custom map for each of them. Plus you get more options with a flash, like the timing and the autoblipper on some abs delete too. So getting it flashed with two maps loaded on, would be your best idea. The pcv is great if you want to mess around yourself with the fuel, I have on on my Aprilia twin with an Autotune. But the R1 has too much electronics, when I get mine done this time the slide control and the LIF will be changed too. You so many options with a flash.
I hope that make sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts