Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that a 150 miles are worth writing about, but.... (Stayed under 8500 rpm)

Sound:
Sounds great even with stock exhaust. Quite sitting there, but rap it up and wow.

Display:
Display is super intuitive. It was always a pain to change the time on other models. All adjustments are easy. adjust on the fly. Change the wallpaper colors. I love just watching it power on and off, lmao.

CCU/solo cap
Installing the CCU is a pain in the ass. It's a must though to keep the thieves from making an easy get away with you GPS unit.

Passenger pegs and mud flap:
Removing passengers pegs super simple. The mud flap took some finagling, but was quick.

Storage:
Absolutely zero storage, and the "document storage" compartment up front is a waste of plastic.

Wheels:
The side air-stems are a MUST. Ordering mine right now. Otherwise checking air psi and adjusting is a task. Didn't go fast enough to measure benefits. Wheels are going to be a little tough to clean, but look great.

Clutch:
Feels great. Can't wait to launch this bad boy.

Throttle response:
I noticed a little delay in the fly by wire. But keep in mind I am comparing this to a YEC equipped Race bike. The different power modes are all up to where you set the adjustments. The throttle response or difference in power delivered can be felt.

Power
Still has some punch down low. You shouldn't miss it. Really comes on in the middle. Can't wait to flog it. Felt incredibly super smooth. I mean awesome smooth. I personally won't need anything more than 2 modes. Maybe 3. I actually prefer the 1 setting. I want to feel the power and immediate response.

Quick shifter
QS is almost too smooth. For a while I thought I maybe it wasn't plugged in. I mean it shifts,,, but you can just sorta feel it shift in your foot. My PC QS on the race bike is set at .25, but takes little foot psi to activate. Staying below 8500 and trying not to be too aggressive probably made this a tough task to analyze. More on this on the 300-600-1000 notes.

Seating position:
Bike is much taller. With everyone saying it felt small, I actually felt the opposite when I sat on it. Although looking down at the front, and you can see it's smaller. Comparing to my 09 race bike, I can say you sit on the 15 and more in the 09-14 model. I'll see how this translate to corner feel soon.

Suspension
So far all I've ran is in auto. Absolutely didn't make a real adjustment and the bike felt great. Just got on it and took off. You should be able to fell a difference. My current race bike is macked out and the new 15 feels great. I noticed the rear sagging too much. Will set sag and everything tomorrow. Bike did not step out of place one time. Would have liked to see a hydraulic preload adjustment on the rear.

Brakes:
So much speculation on the brakes. They worked great for just going through the little scrub in. I am dead set on racing with the abs at least once or twice. I want to give all the components a fair shake. I remember everyone dumping the big piston forks for 25mm. I went with Ohlins big piston forks and loved them. Gotta give it an honest go. (Right?). The abs on the BMW allowed my boy Brian to run his best time every. So,, hopefully yamaha's set will be just as good once I learn to ride around its characteristics. For the simple ride,, they worked GREAT.

Geometry:
Bike turns in effortlessly. With coming right out the box, I don't think we could ask for anything more. Tomorrow's ride will involve adjustments. Looking for forward to cooking it into a turn or two.

TC, SC, LIF:
All this gets worked over tomorrow.

Direct comparison to my current race bike:
- Race bike = is a beast. Motor is temperamental. Power is real abrupt. Brakes grabby. With my VA Michelins it falls into a corner and ride likes it on rails.
- 2015 R1M = smooth. Hard to explain past that. Just super smooth. Power comes on strong, brakes are effortless. The stock tires provides confidence. The bike is bad ass and super smooth. It has some flogging coming over the next few days. :)

(Excuse the typos, I'll clean up later)

Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire Automotive design
Iron Vehicle Metal Auto part Gadget

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Great review! Looking forward to your higher mileage reviews when you actually rip on her! Congrats on the beautiful bike and also, welcome to the forum :33:

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2015 R1M first 150 mile notes;

Great review! Looking forward to your higher mileage reviews when you actually rip on her! Congrats on the beautiful bike and also, welcome to the forum :33:

Thanks.
Not really new,,, screen name is. Remove a letter and it might ring a bell. ;)

Will definitely be on it tomorrow.

Block off plates go on tomorrow as well. Then off to Race Connections on Monday for some Dyno tuning.

Will post up everything as it happens including a lay over from when I had the 09 tuned there.

Btw,,
The vortex gas cap off the 09 fits. Just need to trim the black rubber around the edge. Otherwise the gap is too big. I velcro'd my tag on. Will shoot a pic of that over tomorrow as well.

The tail section is not carbon (or doesn't appear to be. My shark skinz should be in next week. Can't wait to dress it up in race clothes. Woohoo

9,338 Posts
Thanks.

Block off plates go on tomorrow as well. Then off to Race Connections on Monday for some Dyno tuning.

Will post up everything as it happens including a lay over from when I had the 09 tuned there.

Btw,,
The vortex gas cap off the 09 fits. Just need to trim the black rubber around the edge. Otherwise the gap is too big. I velcro'd my tag on. Will shoot a pic of that over tomorrow as well.

The tail section is not carbon (or doesn't appear to be. My shark skinz should be in next week. Can't wait to dress it up in race clothes. Woohoo
Let us know how much more of a PITA the smog plates are...I really really REALLY hate doing that mod!!! Which way are you going in from the top airbox side or the front radiator side....gawd I hate doing smog plates!!!

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Thanks.

Btw,,

:hammer::hammer: ooops

· SEMPER FI 0331
422 Posts
Hey mach, what did they setup, basically the sag and preload?

And then they went through the menu and set the compression and rebound maually and saved it in the YRC ERS settings?

Thanks!!
Yeah set up sag and all that. Changed the A1 and A2 settings a bit A3 isn't andjustable. Also set up non ERS modes. They shop next to them is building a M race bike. Once they get the geometry and everything figured out on that they will call me back in to get all that sorted.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let us know how much more of a PITA the smog plates are...I really really REALLY hate doing that mod!!! Which way are you going in from the top airbox side or the front radiator side....gawd I hate doing smog plates!!!

Yeah,,
Not looking forward to it, but am looking forward to tearing into the airbox to figure out what flapper others were talking about.

I'll shoot some pics and vids.

9,338 Posts
Yeah set up sag and all that. Changed the A1 and A2 settings a bit A3 isn't andjustable. Also set up non ERS modes. They shop next to them is building a M race bike. Once they get the geometry and everything figured out on that they will call me back in to get all that sorted.
Awesome, post up your setting if you dont mind and your weight. I will be taking her to WCW shop in NJ for suspension setup as well. But I am curious what your settings will be.

Yeah,,
Not looking forward to it, but am looking forward to tearing into the airbox to figure out what flapper others were talking about.

I'll shoot some pics and vids.
TY Fast, please document as much as possible, you might convince me to do this all over again if I am confident enough tearing her up with a nice DIY....:D

· Back from retirement
80 Posts
Thanks.

Btw,,

Looking good, can't wait to ride it buddy.
:tocoo::tocoo:

· Rather be riding.
247 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.