Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· 2ND is the first LOSER!
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new R1M, 2 teeth broke on front sprocket!

My bike only has 270 miles on it, Well I have the ECU out getting flashed I decided to tear it down and check it out...OH NO!! I took the front sprocket cover off to really inspect and clean the chain and 2 teeth are completely busted off the sprocket!!! The chain is within spec and the bike has been ridden very easy so far... I have owned several bikes and have NEVER had this happen, Just given everyone the heads up...Maybe I will be the only 1 with this, It is only 3 bolts to check it out... I have 2 pics on my phone but not sure how to post them?

760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My bike is #67. I believe R1 150 from NJ is #66. I would be interested in the status of his bike... Well now I will be doing the 520 conversion ... I will post picture later when I figure out how..LOL

760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That could have been so much worse. Did you notice any clunking noises or anything odd at all? Did your bike have zero miles when you got it?
I could not tell anything was wrong, yes bike brand new 2 weeks ago..EASY miles....I cant even imagine what could of happened on May 2nd when I take it to the track!!!

· Go Hard or Go Home!
1,090 Posts
I could not tell anything was wrong, yes bike brand new 2 weeks ago..EASY miles....I cant even imagine what could of happened on May 2nd when I take it to the track!!!
I know it was brand new I was just curious if it possibly had a couple if miles on it when you picked it up from the dealer taking a "safety check ride". hopefully it's just an isolated issue.

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
Looking closely it looks like the sprocket and chain aren't mating properly, you can see marks where the plates have been hitting around the perimeter on the outside face of the sprocket.

They are both 525 are they?????

· Premium Member
39,036 Posts
and get another oem that might be in the same batch? I'd ask for part credit and switch over to a 520 setup with renthal sprockets. Man that really sucks donkeyballs.

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,564 Posts
Holy crap!:no
yeah...take it to your dealer right now!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.