Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My brakes are pulsating at high speed. Typically from 150kph and above.

My mechanic controlled the disks for runout, and all is within spec.

Information to be added:
  • Brake pads need changing
  • Brake pad buildup on brakes (not much, but some)
Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Cleaning the bobbins: I have never done this to any of my previous bikes, and they have all had the same brake construction. I'm hearing conflicting views about this topic. Some say clean them, but the majority consensus seems to be that the construction is to allow heat expansion of the disk itself while the carrier (which is alu) can stay cool.

Cleaning the disk: I've tried cleaning the disk itself, but the glazing is stubborn to get off. Suggestions?

Could changing the pads without removing the buildup result in me ruining the new pads?

Best regards,

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,020 Posts
Damn. Is it really so intrusive?

Any way to notice if it intervenes? Flashing lights?
I am just assume it is just based on your speeds and some worn brakes. Especially after checking all components.
No lights for abs when its active unless the TC is also activating.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try ordering some new pads then. Do I need to remove the buildup completely (metal clean rotors) or can I add new pads without removing it completely?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also had pulsating (front brakes) on my R1 that I couldn't get rid of. The run out on my rotors were also in spec, and I also did some light sandpaper on the rotor, but it still didn't fix it until I bought a cheap used set on eBay to replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to change the pads either way. Not much faith in that solving the problem, but they're toast.

Any suggestion for reasonably priced rotors which is OEM spec in the market? Is 400 per rotor what one have to expect?

320mm and the same bolt pattern as the previous generation. Might pick up some good ones for the 09-14?

·
356 Posts
something making them hot only at high speed; sticking calipers

on a motorcycle bikes tend to be left unused for long periods; this make pad stick to rotor, so make sure both pads can move ; you take screwdriver and push them to see if they can move around

over long period of time pads can bond to rotor as if they glued or are one piece

1 - 10 of 10 Posts