Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well today was the day....... Bike came in March and have been modding and just waiting to ride.
FINALLY, today was 50 degrees but windy. I said screw it, I'm going to do my first ride.I just put on a set of shorty levers, and had been itching to try the Graves exhaust/Tune as well.
Roads are still a bit sandy from winter, so took it easy, Mode C and did about 40 miles, up/down in RPM's to break in rings, never went over 7K.
The bike is awesome and I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it is. The seating position, although race inspired, was actually OK, the seat was also OK. The rear suspension was a bit harsh, but still need to play with that a bit. ( I have been riding a 2013 675R full Ohlins race suspension, for the last couple of years, now that is uncomfortable )

Overall, really impressed, looking forward to beating on it in full race mode at the track in 3 weeks.

I did find quite a bit of popping on deceleration, yes, I have block offs and yes, they are installed correctly. Also noticed the idle a bit high.

·
Super Moderator
24,112 Posts
Did you flash the ECU yet? It will remove some of the decel popping but not all of it.

Oh and please never say blank offs again... they are block offs. :D

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
SBU has confirmed that most bikes will exhibit some popping on decel, even with block off plates. Something like either they can use a flash that will result in no popping but less performance. Or a flash that is performance with some popping. For example, look at the motoamerica super bike R1's. They are all heavily modded and all of them still pop. Josh Hayes and Cameron Beaubier bikes are specifically what I am talking about here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you flash the ECU yet? It will remove some of the decel popping but not all of it.

My bike used to pop like crazy on decel. Ever since the ECU flash, I have only heard it pop once and that was at decel on redline.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

As per the post it has a Graves Tune installed, and I fixed that for ya, wouldn't want you to lose any sleep, them blank offs may chase you all night >:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SBU has confirmed that most bikes will exhibit some popping on decel, even with block off plates. Something like either they can use a flash that will result in no popping but less performance. Or a flash that is performance with some popping. For example, look at the motoamerica super bike R1's. They are all heavily modded and all of them still pop. Josh Hayes and Cameron Beaubier bikes are specifically what I am talking about here.
Read quite a few previous posts, seems to be the norm.
Agreed, If I can at least sound like Hayes/Beaubier, I'm Ok with it :)

·
Greenfield, MN(55357)
1,168 Posts
My bike used to pop like crazy on decel. Ever since the ECU flash, I have only heard it pop once and that was at decel on redline.
09-14 are a different animal than the 15-16 regarding a flash and block-off plates to eliminate popping on decel. My '11 with Akra 3/4 exhaust had not popping or backfiring decel after the flash and block off plate install. My 15 still has it on decel with a flash, block off plates, and a custom dyno tune. Seems that it jus cannot be eliminated on the 15-16's.

-John

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the bike in C mode as it was first ride and popping was quite a bit. Yesterday, I was out and toggled between B and C, the popping is a whole lot less in B mode.
Going to try A today and see if it is even less.
Either way, loving the bike! That Graves exhaust is sweet!

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
Glad you are loving the bike. I like your mods, very tasteful. You seem to know your way around a bike. You wouldn't happen to have a DB meter by chance? I would love to know what DB level the 3/4 graves exhaust is reaches. My local track DB level is 104.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you are loving the bike. I like your mods, very tasteful. You seem to know your way around a bike. You wouldn't happen to have a DB meter by chance? I would love to know what DB level the 3/4 graves exhaust is reaches. My local track DB level is 104.
Thanks for the compliment!, I do not have a decibel meter.
I am sure if you called Graves, they would give you the db level.
It is loud, but far from obnoxious

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, have 200 miles on now and wow, I love this thing.
The power is awesome, B is better for road/street, in my opinion.
The electronics are amazing, and I think I have the suspension dialed in, track time will tell in a couple of weeks
Brakes could be better, may do Brembos at least on the front

·
Unacceptable
1,242 Posts
Brakes could be better, may do Brembos at least on the front
Try quality aftermarket pads and good fluid first.

Dealerships don't always use the best brake fluid, and you also don't know how long that stuff was sitting around before they actually used it.

·
(insert witty statement here)
257 Posts
I picked up my 60th just last week. I noticed if definitely feels more track oriented than my 09, that I kept too. Had some lucky Washington state weather this past week... I was able to hit 575 miles a couple days ago and did the first oil change. The location of the filter is much appreciated especially since getting off that first filter was a PITA on the 09.

Hey OP, do you have any pics of your bike with the Lacomoto bellypan? I'm thinking about going that route myself after I get my 3/4 system installed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 60th would look better with gloss black wheels and a belly pan of course.

After all said and done, I like it.
agreed, BP done, wheels will get powder coated when tires get changed

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up my 60th just last week. I noticed if definitely feels more track oriented than my 09, that I kept too. Had some lucky Washington state weather this past week... I was able to hit 575 miles a couple days ago and did the first oil change. The location of the filter is much appreciated especially since getting off that first filter was a PITA on the 09.

Hey OP, do you have any pics of your bike with the Lacomoto bellypan? I'm thinking about going that route myself after I get my 3/4 system installed.
here you go...and yes, I know, there shouldn't be a tank bag on it.

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
11,043 Posts
Don't you have to be very very careful when powder coating mag wheels?

I've read that they can corrode under the finish.

What I read could be wrong. It was from a forum member here. A reputable memeber though.

Let me know if you know anything about this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts