Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after trips to the track. 4 Times. I’m getting rock dings mainly on the wheels.

Seems the stock powder is pretty crap.

Is this common for all powder coat? Touching up is easy enough but damn.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not recall my other bikes wheels getting dinged like this. Maybe the Blue is just more noticeable.

·
Unacceptable
1,241 Posts
That's not even powder coat on the stock wheels, just standard electro-statically applied paint. True powder coating would be far more durable.

That being said I'm strongly considering getting my stockers powdered. Hate to say it but for the yellow 60th color scheme, gloss white would be perfect even though I detest that color for wheels because it gets dirty in a New York minute and I hate cleaning wheels.

·
My R1 eats Gixxers
375 Posts
I think I remember reading in the manual to be sure to touch up any chips because the magnesium will oxidize.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a place that does mag wheels.

I’m gonna let these get chewed up a bit then do them gloss black. I don’t like the blue much anyways.

But yeah it’s super easy to ding and scratch. Very little effort to chip them.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I remember reading in the manual to be sure to touch up any chips because the magnesium will oxidize.
No doubt. I have some colorite paint I have been dabbing on the nicks. No clear and it kind of covers it up.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not even powder coat on the stock wheels, just standard electro-statically applied paint. True powder coating would be far more durable.

That being said I'm strongly considering getting my stockers powdered. Hate to say it but for the yellow 60th color scheme, gloss white would be perfect even though I detest that color for wheels because it gets dirty in a New York minute and I hate cleaning wheels.
I’d like to see how the white would look.

I’m gonna go gloss black. I like Blue bike with black wheels. Like my 06 was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts