Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Question about off the shelf maps only. Not looking for "get it custom dyno-tuned" comments.

2016 Anniversary with an AR cat eliminator pipe setup. I have an FT-ECU bench kit and currently run the Graves cat eliminator map. Runs well but very noticeable backfiring.

Interested in feedback on other maps available via FT-ECU, as it relates to smoothness. Not really concerned with power output, bike makes plenty of power as is.
  • Anyone run the base unrestricted map? How does that feel? I read about the 5-6k flat spot?
  • Anyone run the Graves full system map? Is that smoother than their cat-eliminator map?
  • What about the Graves slip-on map?
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the mjs cat eli + stock can, same problem with the graves map (too much pop, and i think it was running a bit rich too), tried the unrestricked then and there was considerable less popping and no pops if the i disable the inyectors cut off .

Now im always running the unrestricted ftecu + active tune ( also saved a few corrections to the base map with the active tune)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey guys,

Question about off the shelf maps only. Not looking for "get it custom dyno-tuned" comments.

2016 Anniversary with an AR cat eliminator pipe setup. I have an FT-ECU bench kit and currently run the Graves cat eliminator map. Runs well but very noticeable backfiring.

Interested in feedback on other maps available via FT-ECU, as it relates to smoothness. Not really concerned with power output, bike makes plenty of power as is.
  • Anyone run the base unrestricted map? How does that feel? I read about the 5-6k flat spot?
  • Anyone run the Graves full system map? Is that smoother than their cat-eliminator map?
Thanks.
The problem is the pipe you have fitted. It's never going to run correctly with the AR. Sell it and get the Graves EVR it's the cats a--. So smooth looks and sounds amazing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have graves blockoff plates installed and 3/4 decat Hindle + auto tune.

I started with unrestricted map, bike did not run smooth, fuel economy sucked, twitchy throttle. Not much pop.

I switched to Graves decat map, bike runs better, there is a bit of pop, but not much. Throttle is better. I think the bike is running rich. But power is crazy, no deadspots. I think I'll stick with this setup.

Not sure running Graves slipon or full system map make sense for a 3/4 setup. But curious to hear others feedback.

·
Unacceptable
1,255 Posts
I switched to Graves decat map, bike runs better, there is a bit of pop, but not much. Throttle is better. I think the bike is running rich. But power is crazy, no deadspots. I think I'll stick with this setup.
I too feel that the "plug-and-play" Graves map I'm running now definitely feels a bit on the rich side. The plus to that is popping on the overrun is gone, and I can now use 'A' mode on the streets; throttle response is much smoother especially in the lower gears.

Can't help but wonder what the performance would be like if things were leaned out just a tad though...too bad the EVR map doesn't allow changes in the fuel table cells.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can't help but wonder what the performance would be like if things were leaned out just a tad though...too bad the EVR map doesn't allow changes in the fuel table cells.
I put a sprint air filter to let more air in. With auto tune I'm hoping things are as close as they can be. Of course a dyno tune map would be best, but no tuners in my area.

·
Unacceptable
1,255 Posts
I put a sprint air filter to let more air in. With auto tune I'm hoping things are as close as they can be. Of course a dyno tune map would be best, but no tuners in my area.
BMC in the near future for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hooli...

...we gotta meet up so I can hear the Graves in person! I just had BRG do a Woolich tune on my 3/4 Akra kit. Feels butter smooth, definitely more responsive, but a strange flat spot persists a 6k rpm...

Anyway, I have the block offs but didn't get to install before my tune. I was thinking of doing so while adding a MWR or BMC kit too. Think I'll need a remap/touch up tune?

..b16r1ch

8,382 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I dyno'd both AR and graves systems back to back, and found the best setup for both was graves ftecu map and stock air filter. Graves pipe made 4 more HP up top and smoother power delivery.

Please refer to pink line on sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dyno'd both AR and graves systems back to back, and found the best setup for both was graves ftecu map and stock air filter. Graves pipe made 4 more HP up top and smoother power delivery.

Please refer to pink line on sheet.

Thanks for this info. With the ar pipe, specifically which graves map did you find the best? There are 3 to choose from. Slip-on, cat eliminator and full system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the AR pipe dyno...if I were you get a diff pipe....

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm running the cat eliminator map now with the ar 3/4, so based on what you posted, I will leave it and just live with the popping on decel.

I'm not concerned at all about the 4hp difference, with so much power on tap, 4 hp is quite ok to give up. It's a race bike so when I eventually go down on the right side and trash the ar pipe, I'll get a graves to replace. Not till then.

Thanks again.

·
Unacceptable
1,255 Posts
Hooli...

...we gotta meet up so I can hear the Graves in person! I just had BRG do a Woolich tune on my 3/4 Akra kit. Feels butter smooth, definitely more responsive, but a strange flat spot persists a 6k rpm...

Anyway, I have the block offs but didn't get to install before my tune. I was thinking of doing so while adding a MWR or BMC kit too. Think I'll need a remap/touch up tune?

..b16r1ch
If you are changing out to an aftermarket air filter it's possible that a tuning tweak could net you a couple more hp, but as the OP stated there's already so much power that unless you're racing, for street use (or even trackdays) you're really not going to notice it. The plates might affect things; talk to KC up @ BRG and see what he suggests. He's old-school but knows his shit. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's an interesting observation. I installed new Woodcraft rearsets, and so had to fudge how the AR pipe mounted up to the rearsets. i.e., had to use a spot on the rearset bracket that's not typical.

Anyway, I was able to mount it up securely, and immediately, all the backfiring is gone. I wonder if changing the angle of the slip-on and mid-pipe and mounting the slipon more securely caused the backfiring to disappear.

Leaving the Graves cat eliminator map on and not worrying about anything else for the moment.

·
Gian11
1,595 Posts

Are you still using the stock air filter Ruben?

·
Gian11
1,595 Posts
Running the BMC race filter at the moment. Heard good things on the sprint filter as well.

ah! I kinda had a feeling that you were not going to run that paper filter for long. Try out the p16 it seriously impressed me a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve got a EU 2015 R1 with akropovic 3/4 exhaust, BMC air filter and have dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. Bike runs awesome, no dead spots, great power with stock tune, just a lot of popping. However I’ve brought a ftecu bench kit to flash the ecu and try some different tunes and turn off emissions restrictions. I loaded the unrestricted tune into my bike yesterday...ran like shit. Massive dead spot around 5000 rpm, sluggish initial acceleration. I’m going to try the graves map today. If that’s not a good as before, I’m going back to stock with a few restrictions disabled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts