Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres what happened.
I took my airbox and tank out to put reflect a gold wrap on.
When i was removing the fuel line i had the electrical cable (shown in my hands in the picture) which connects under the fuel tank disconnected. The fuel line spilled fuel but i dont know if the spill got onto the connector or not.

When i was reinstalling the tank the fuel drain line (marked purple in picture 2) started draining fuel rapidly and the spill went over the left side of the bike above the shifter/front sprocket and i dont know if any got on the alternator as it is a bit further away. I managed to control the spill and continued to connect eveything again.
All connectors are in place (both airbox and tank)
The bike has lights up and the dashboard lights up fine but when i try to start the bike it doesnt start. There is an ignition sound but it keeps repeating as if there is no fuel or the battery is drained (without the clicking sound).

Please advise guys im in need to get this bike back up before friday for a ride.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
103 Posts
Fuel evaporates pretty quickyl. Do you hear the fuel pump whirrr when you switch to run before you try to turn over the starter? I'd either guess power connector to the tank or pinched/incorrectly connected fuel line.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont really remember i hope its just the fuel line and nothing with the fuel pump. Its most likely the fuel pump as u said. I will put everything back in within the next hour and see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel evaporates pretty quickyl. Do you hear the fuel pump whirrr when you switch to run before you try to turn over the starter? I'd either guess power connector to the tank or pinched/incorrectly connected fuel line.
I checked and the fuel pump does make a normal sound. All fuel lines are correctly fitted. I suspect its the spark plugs. I removed them to see there is a bit of yellow tint on the white cover part above the seal and some fuel on the bottom part. I will change the spark plugs as this was always a matter i wanted to do before and see how it goes.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
look....anytime you mess with your bike and then it doesn't start...its something you did. one in a million times its something else randomly breaking but thats not what your looking at. the wires need to be dry when you reconnect them. fuel does dry fast like he said but you have to be sure or else you will blow fuses. fuses are under the left panel the plastic one under the grip i believe, its also in the service manual. not he airbag there is a couple plugs that can be switched around you need to check them out and compare it to pictures in the service manual if needed but i would say a blown fuse is most likely or low battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look....anytime you mess with your bike and then it doesn't start...its something you did. one in a million times its something else randomly breaking but thats not what your looking at. the wires need to be dry when you reconnect them. fuel does dry fast like he said but you have to be sure or else you will blow fuses. fuses are under the left panel the plastic one under the grip i believe, its also in the service manual. not he airbag there is a couple plugs that can be switched around you need to check them out and compare it to pictures in the service manual if needed but i would say a blown fuse is most likely or low battery.
Im on it now thanks andrew

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im in it but cant find where the fuse box is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are 2 fuse boxes there, in case you just checked one of them
I checked physically the fuses without the meter to see if they are burnt or the circuit in them are broken.
However no symptoms of burnt fuses.
The fuses i checked:
Under the left handlebar
(it had a number of fuses with spare ones in a small box)
Below the seat there was 2 30A fuses
Abd the main 50A fuse

All physically looks fine. Any other fuses?
Plus how can i check the fuel pump connector and if its working fine or not?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you hear the pump prime when you turn power on, then it's working. If you don't hear it, then there's an issue there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just removed the spark plugs and found fuel on the spark tip.
See pictures bellow.
Im currently replacing them with oem (LMAR9E-J)
I will post the outcome soon

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another failed attempt. Changed the spark plugs but im still having the same problem. I found that the ground is just under the fuel tank. Can this be the cause of the issue?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
So it's not sparking. No ignition for some reason. Put the spark plug into the coil and ground it to. A bolt on the engine n see if it sparks. Looks like it wont. Is the ground connected to the frame or no?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally fixed!!!!
This chapter of my life can be put aside.
I have no idea what was going on but i can tell you what i did to fix it.
I basically kept on cranking with a bit of throttle again and again until it came back to lifeee!!!!
It felt like a cpr room on a patient instead of a garage ffs!!!!
Once i got the enginevstarted i kept my hand on the throttle to keep engine running and burn the fuel.

Any ideas what was happening?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Air in the line since it doesn't have a return line maybe.
You mean in the fuel line? But i was starting the bike with the tank proped up and airbox out and i can hear and smell fuel being injected under the throttle bodies.
So i dont think its trapped air in the fuel line

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Did you have the airbox off originally when it wouldn't start? I wouldn't think it's air either it should prime pretty quick I'm just guessing because it doesn't make sense but I think we aren't getting all the details of what work your doing I think we don't understand fully.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts