Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2016 R1m
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas and it’s been pretty hot so far I’ve noticed that after riding 30 mins home in the afternoon I’ll stop to put gas and when I start my engine back up the temp is blinking at 244 just wondering if this is normal I’ve called the motorcycle shops around here and no one knows crap and they want to go drop off my bike so just wondering if anyone has some info that can help me thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you boiling over your coolant? Low on coolant? Ecu ever flashed? It can set the fans to turn on at a lower temp to keep it from getting that high. Fueling running too lean? Tip of exhaust coated in a layer of white? Are your radiator fans coming on at the proper temps or at all?

·
2016 R1m
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not boiling over , coolant is full, I hear the fan kick on, never flashed the ecu, and I pretty sure my bike is running rich, no layer of while on exhaust .

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Does it blink for just a minute until the bike has been running and then goes back to a more normal temp like 215-220?

My bike does this. I think what happens is you’ve shut the motor off for a minute and the temp spikes because no fans or air flow or coolant flow. Once you start it back up, the temp gauge gets a more accurate reading and you are fine.

What temps show when you are riding? As long as you aren’t in the 240s when riding, I’d say it’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
yea to shut it off for fuel or something and when you start it then its super hot thats normal and it comes down right away. if its at 244 while your riding thats a major issue

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
207 Posts
It does that because the engine block is heating up the water as it sits there during your fuel up. Once u turn the bike back on the water pump starts circulating the water again and the fans kick on and the cooling process starts working again. This is normal. Yes u can get your ECU flashed and it will turn ur fans on earlier (to a temp u choose), but once u turn ur bike off the water, that is no longer circulating, will begin to heat up as heat from the engine block is transferred to the water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
R1rick85
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing