Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I am hoping that maybe someone may see my bikes that were stolen this last week. The '16 R1S is grey and the '17 FZ09 is silver. They were stolen from my residence in Alexandria, VA.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
That really sucks man, hope you find em or your insurance pays out enough to at least get a newer model.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That really sucks, hope you find em or I at least hope your insurance pays out enough to get a newer model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too... I want my old bike back, but if it is really gone I will be looking for a '21.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,484 Posts
Totally sucks man!

You have comprehensive coverage for theft I hope...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have comprehensive... so that is a good thing. I will get something :/

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
You think they started them or carried them off ? Obviously hindsight is 2020 but did you ever think about putting a tracker on them before hand I am thinking the same thing about mine but have not done it yet ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well with both bikes being sub-600 lbs it was likely that a couple of guys just lifted/scooted them... if you know what you're doing it doesn't take long to lift and load. I had a tracker on the R1, but the service sucked and the battery was always dying. Oh yeah, the tracking company went out of business without letting anyone know, so there is that. Anyway, there are a couple of lessons... 1) a crappy tracker is better than no tracker; 2) get a hardwired tracker with battery backup, it will save you headaches with trying to replace batteries or recharge the tracker; 3) get a tracker with 4G, avoid anything else including 5G (limited coverage and it is probably BS anyway); and 4) look at it as insurance... not paying for insurance is great until something happens. So my next bikes will have trackers (there are more choices now than ever before). I just got a tracker for my Jeep, which plugs into the OBDII slot. As a side note, if you can, get video cameras on where you park your bikes... it won't necessarily stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you will have evidence and a better idea of who and when.I just picked up a wireless security camera set up for sub-$200 with a 1 TB hard drive, which is supposed to be good for up to 50 days of 24/7 vid.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Well with both bikes being sub-600 lbs it was likely that a couple of guys just lifted/scooted them... if you know what you're doing it doesn't take long to lift and load. I had a tracker on the R1, but the service sucked and the battery was always dying. Oh yeah, the tracking company went out of business without letting anyone know, so there is that. Anyway, there are a couple of lessons... 1) a crappy tracker is better than no tracker; 2) get a hardwired tracker with battery backup, it will save you headaches with trying to replace batteries or recharge the tracker; 3) get a tracker with 4G, avoid anything else including 5G (limited coverage and it is probably BS anyway); and 4) look at it as insurance... not paying for insurance is great until something happens. So my next bikes will have trackers (there are more choices now than ever before). I just got a tracker for my Jeep, which plugs into the OBDII slot. As a side note, if you can, get video cameras on where you park your bikes... it won't necessarily stop someone from stealing your stuff, but you will have evidence and a better idea of who and when.I just picked up a wireless security camera set up for sub-$200 with a 1 TB hard drive, which is supposed to be good for up to 50 days of 24/7 vid.
Thank you so much for sharing that !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts