Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys! Name's Memo, I'm in SoCal (The IE), and I just recently picked up a wrecked R1S that I'm currently in the process of rebuilding. I wanted to share my progress and struggles with you all. Thanks in advance for your help and support!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here we go boys!
Welcome to the site and the R1 world!

Did the person that wrecked the bike come out of it ok? Did you have the frame and forks check to see if it's bent? I assume you picked it up pretty cheap being it's going to take a good deal of work to get it back to rideable.

Yeah, I had it all checked and it was all straight (thankfully). Damage was mostly cosmetic as it was a low speed crash. My initial assessment of the damage: the radiator was toast, the fans were pretty shot, the stator cover was just damaged enough to need repair/replacing, te front brake was leaking fuild, and most of the plastics are done for. All in all, it's need a pretty good amount of work and some love!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a little bit of background on me, I'm a college student currently going to RCC (Riverside). I've been riding since I was 18, I'm 26 now so that's about 8 years now, and I've got about 80k miles of saddle time under my belt. I've owned a lot of bikes, but I love my Yamahas! Haha currently own two R6's (2003 and 2005) and two R1's (2004 and 2016). I love wrenching on all on my machines, and I've always come to the forums for answers in the past so it's only natural that I'd come back to share this new build with you guys.

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
Just a little bit of background on me, I'm a college student currently going to RCC (Riverside).

Currently own two R6's (2003 and 2005) and two R1's (2004 and 2016).
I thought that college students were always broke? :lol

J/k, welcome and enjoy your build!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha you are correct my good sir. This is a budget build. The budget being 6k total. Doing all the work myself, sourcing the cheapest parts available on the world wide web and locally (or not so locally sometimes.) Stay tuned for a progress update.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Budget Build SitRep:

I started off ordering as many parts as I could afford before my credit card was declined. Repeated the process with my other credit card. Lol Managed to snag a radiator from China for surprisingly cheap, along with a brand new steering damper, a and slip on exhaust all on ebay. The servo buddy I had to drive to Laguna Beach for, and I went to Compton for the front air ram, main stay, and a minty set of headlights! Only thing is, I waited for the guy at a gas station in the middle if the hood for 3 freakin' hours. Reminded me if home. Haha Just as I was about to leave, he pulls up, and comes through with really nice parts and tells me he's a parts guy with new all the time because he gets parts bikes at the auctions. >>New Plug Unlocked << Also ordered shorty levers, a new stator cover, and a new killswitch housing, also from fleabay. Now i just need an expensive ass speedo. Lol That I find out in Baldwin Park. Now all that's left is the actual fairings which I have coming in at couple of weeks. (Thanks Ebay)

First he first thing to arrive was the radiator. Of course that's the only thing preventing the bike from running at this point. I slap it on, fill it up and badda bing badda boom! She's purring like a lioness and the fans come on right on cue. Wasn't too hard, just annoying fixing the fans and getting them to align perfectly so nothing rubs. Prefection.

Next I threw on the air ram and front stay bracket. Finally I can hook up the speedo and check the old girl for engine codes. To my surprise, they automatically pop with the actual code number right on the top on the screen! Sweeeet. She throws 3 codes: 22, 42, and 66. First one is for the air temp sensor fixed with the new air ram (it contained the sensor). Second one was the rear wheel speed sensor which also controls the ABS. Fixed that with a new sensor. Now I can change my power modes and TCS/SCS! Last sensor was the steering damper. Fixed it with the new one. Now I put on the new stator cover, adjust the chain slack, lube it, and she's good as new!

I tentatively ride her up the street hoping I bolted everything up correctly. Lol WE'RE GOOD! Cool, I put on the new shorty levers (ASV look-a-likes), and notice the slip on SC Project clone sitting on the couch. Oh, yeah..she's gonna sound so good! Just as I finish tightening down the last bolt, I examine my whale tail of a rear license plate fender..this just won't do, but I don't want to plop down another 50 bones for an eliminator kit. Lol Guess I better find my hand saw!

I end up chopping it up and cobbling it back together into something a thousand times more sleek. It looks good from about 5 feet away, but upon closer inspection, you'll see how I McGiver'd the hell out if it. Hahahahaha Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by what you can do with some elbow grease and some zip ties. I manage to find a servo buddy, and remove the servo motor (weight sayings breh), and plug it in, FI code is gone!

I've got a set of Dunlop Q3+ on the way, and bought the equipment to balance them myself. WINNING. She's looking better already. Butt-ass naked, she actually doesn't look too bad. It's kind of growing on me. But I can't wait for the fairings to arrive so I can throw on the headlights and have her looking brand new!

Anyways guy s, it's been a long week, and I'm just about done for the day. I'll put the parts cost and total for those of you curious as to how far above budget this thing is going to be. Better put your bets down now boys! Haha Keep the rubber side down gentlemen. God Speed.

AirRam, main stay, headlights: $600
Speedo: $450
Fairings: $360
Slip on: $180
Radiator: $150
Stator Cover: $150
Tire removal balance tools: $80
Shorty Levers: $25

PARTS TOTAL: $2050
20180806_223643.jpeg 20180806_234745.jpeg 20180806_235245.jpeg

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Budget Build SitRep:

I started off ordering as many parts as I could afford before my credit card was declined. Repeated the process with my other credit card. Lol Managed to snag a radiator from China for surprisingly cheap, along with a brand new steering damper, a and slip on exhaust all on ebay. The servo buddy I had to drive to Laguna Beach for, and I went to Compton for the front air ram, main stay, and a minty set of headlights! Only thing is, I waited for the guy at a gas station in the middle if the hood for 3 freakin' hours. Reminded me if home. Haha Just as I was about to leave, he pulls up, and comes through with really nice parts and tells me he's a parts guy with new all the time because he gets parts bikes at the auctions. >>New Plug Unlocked << Also ordered shorty levers, a new stator cover, and a new killswitch housing, also from fleabay. Now i just need an expensive ass speedo. Lol That I find out in Baldwin Park. Now all that's left is the actual fairings which I have coming in at couple of weeks. (Thanks Ebay)

First he first thing to arrive was the radiator. Of course that's the only thing preventing the bike from running at this point. I slap it on, fill it up and badda bing badda boom! She's purring like a lioness and the fans come on right on cue. Wasn't too hard, just annoying fixing the fans and getting them to align perfectly so nothing rubs. Prefection.

Next I threw on the air ram and front stay bracket. Finally I can hook up the speedo and check the old girl for engine codes. To my surprise, they automatically pop with the actual code number right on the top on the screen! Sweeeet. She throws 3 codes: 22, 42, and 66. First one is for the air temp sensor fixed with the new air ram (it contained the sensor). Second one was the rear wheel speed sensor which also controls the ABS. Fixed that with a new sensor. Now I can change my power modes and TCS/SCS! Last sensor was the steering damper. Fixed it with the new one. Now I put on the new stator cover, adjust the chain slack, lube it, and she's good as new!

I tentatively ride her up the street hoping I bolted everything up correctly. Lol WE'RE GOOD! Cool, I put on the new shorty levers (ASV look-a-likes), and notice the slip on SC Project clone sitting on the couch. Oh, yeah..she's gonna sound so good! Just as I finish tightening down the last bolt, I examine my whale tail of a rear license plate fender..this just won't do, but I don't want to plop down another 50 bones for an eliminator kit. Lol Guess I better find my hand saw!

I end up chopping it up and cobbling it back together into something a thousand times more sleek. It looks good from about 5 feet away, but upon closer inspection, you'll see how I McGiver'd the hell out if it. Hahahahaha Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by what you can do with some elbow grease and some zip ties. I manage to find a servo buddy, and remove the servo motor (weight sayings breh), and plug it in, FI code is gone!

I've got a set of Dunlop Q3+ on the way, and bought the equipment to balance them myself. WINNING. She's looking better already. Butt-ass naked, she actually doesn't look too bad. It's kind of growing on me. But I can't wait for the fairings to arrive so I can throw on the headlights and have her looking brand new!

Anyways guy s, it's been a long week, and I'm just about done for the day. I'll put the parts cost and total for those of you curious as to how far above budget this thing is going to be. Better put your bets down now boys! Haha Keep the rubber side down gentlemen. God Speed.

AirRam, main stay, headlights: $600
Speedo: $450
Fairings: $360
Slip on: $180
Radiator: $150
Stator Cover: $150
Tire removal balance tools: $80
Shorty Levers: $25

PARTS TOTAL: $2050
View attachment 990675 View attachment 990677 View attachment 990679

It didn't cost ya as much as I thought it would. I love doing my own wrenching on my bikes also. I've never had a bike in a shop in the 40+ years I've been riding. A good set of tools and a shop service manual and there's nothing you can't accomplish, great job!

·
2016 R1
215 Posts
Nice job man!!! Can’t wait to see the finished product once you get the fairings in. Looks like it was a lot of fun bringing it back to life and now you have yourself one HELL of a bike for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Trust me, I just bought the same bike off the showroom floor hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2016 R1
215 Posts
I'm at a standstill now boys. I'm waiting on tires and fairings. I threw on the quickshifter yesterday, but I couldn't get it to read on the settings menu. Idk, maybe I bought a dud. You guys have a good weekend! View attachment 990777

There’s a thread on here I just saw very recently on how to activate it. I have the standard R1 so it already has it and is activated so I don’t know how to do it but I think that thread has the instructions from Yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: So I asked around the thread that was suggested, and ended up testing my quickshifter, and found it to be no good! Which sucks, but I'll find another one. All my fairings should be here in the next two weeks or so, and we should be cleared for take off! Got a special surprise in store for you guys. Hehe Just got my Q3s in, but I haven't put 'em on yet because I got distracted redoing my garage. Lol I think I came out pretty good, what do you guys think? IMG_20180815_201305_215.jpeg 20180816_161638.jpeg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
6 Participants
TheoreticalApex
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing