Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here on the R1 forum so hello to everyone. I just purchased my 6th R1 (02', 04', 05', 07', 08', 17') and I'm super excited to continue the break-in process (I know everyone has different opinions on this)... I still have my 07 R1 and have always been able to get it up on either wheel no problem for pretty much any distance comfortably. I know this new 2017 is not a stunt bike but I can't help myself going from 50mph to 0mph while approaching a complete stop at a light or what not. Such a cool feeling and I am addicted. As I become familiar with all of the YRC settings, does anyone have suggestions to set the bike up so it is able to wheelie and into/stoppie easily? I have about 160miles on the bike so I haven't started to get onto one wheel quite yet...thats after first oil change and learning the bike as it is different from my 07' that I am so used to. I know I can turn off the TCS, SCS, LCS, QS, & LIF... will the ABS have an affect on this? Is there a way to turn the ABS off? I know I don't want the front wheel to lock up when trying to throw the bike up onto the front wheel... just wondering if any of you experienced riders out there have suggestions on how to accomplish the best settings for a little play around time on one wheel?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to spend a little time and effort in replying to this post. I scanned through all 20 pages of threads and didn't find anything that touched on this, so apologies if it has been covered before. Thank you again.

·
My R1 go to warp drive
489 Posts
LOL, dude if you're that nice in wheelies and indo it's a little silly asking this question. Those stunts are feeling actions, just go for it and embrace the feeling you need to accomplish the stunts. Now, how does one join since 2008 and the first post is 10 years later?

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
Maybe the OP should have bought an MT-10. :p

PS: If he had truly scanned through 20 pages of posts he would have discovered that short of doing an ABS delete, there is no way of actually "turning off" the R1's ABS.

·
Unacceptable
1,205 Posts
Pull the fuse.....
True, but I meant an easier way, such as how the BMW S1000RR has it. IIRC you can disable/re-enable it from the dash via the controls, without having to pull the seat and dig around in the fuse box. Yamaha should have followed suit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cyclepsycho 7 - I figure that might be the case...I figured may be I could have the best of both worlds in one. Maybe I need to keep my 07’ around for that.

Sabotage - I don’t know if I understand your response...I was just curious about the bikes ability to get up on the front tire, not mine. Embracing that type of riding is the easy part, whether or not this new R1 wants to is another story. Yes, I joined a long time ago but haven’t had a question that wasn’t already answered...so here I am.

Hooli - not sure what OP is... I did go through all 20 pages, I read the posts on ABS, and still I posted this because no one touched on the ability to do, or not do stoppies and I was curious. I still have my 07’ if needed. Just wanted some other opinions of riders who have the same bike.

K-n-D - Pulling the fuse... I like the idea. May be I could wire in a switch leading into the fuse? Not sure how that’d work but I might look into it further.

Probably a good reason not to post on this forum... Some people on here get computer strong...think that if you don’t know something you’re inferior, and they can talk down to you because of it. Wouldn’t a knowledgeable rider be more humble and able to share info with out being an ass? Interesting how people react to some of these threads.

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Happy 4th.

·
Registered
153 Posts
True, but I meant an easier way, such as how the BMW S1000RR has it. IIRC you can disable/re-enable it from the dash via the controls, without having to pull the seat and dig around in the fuse box. Yamaha should have followed suit.
No doubt! All those buttons on the clip-ons, all those detailed screens on the dash. You can control everything but the ABS.

Mine even has a little hand that comes out of the tank and gives ya a.... nevermind....

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Cyclepsycho 7 - I figure that might be the case...I figured may be I could have the best of both worlds in one. Maybe I need to keep my 07’ around for that.

Sabotage - I don’t know if I understand your response...I was just curious about the bikes ability to get up on the front tire, not mine. Embracing that type of riding is the easy part, whether or not this new R1 wants to is another story. Yes, I joined a long time ago but haven’t had a question that wasn’t already answered...so here I am.

Hooli - not sure what OP is... I did go through all 20 pages, I read the posts on ABS, and still I posted this because no one touched on the ability to do, or not do stoppies and I was curious. I still have my 07’ if needed. Just wanted some other opinions of riders who have the same bike.

K-n-D - Pulling the fuse... I like the idea. May be I could wire in a switch leading into the fuse? Not sure how that’d work but I might look into it further.

Probably a good reason not to post on this forum... Some people on here get computer strong...think that if you don’t know something you’re inferior, and they can talk down to you because of it. Wouldn’t a knowledgeable rider be more humble and able to share info with out being an ass? Interesting how people react to some of these threads.

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Happy 4th.

OP stands for Original Poster or you in this case as you started the thread. I didn’t understand the need for the rude responses either. Enjoy the new bike brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bhansen & Hooli - Sorry if my response was abrasive earlier, I was having a morning and from a previous time in my life OP meant something different and I was jumping to conclusions. Thanks guys and have a great day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
R1 Horse
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing