Magnessium subframe
New Dash
320mm dual front disks
R1 KYB forks
new KYB rear shock
same master brake cyclinder as the R1
2mm shorter wheelbase
new aluminum gas tank
8% less drag on the front fairings=more front end response (most aerodynamic bike yamaha ever created)
Intelligent Traction control (can detect tire wear)
Drive modes
ABS

Yeah.... Its the "same bike" with new fairings.........

·
Collector
1,018 Posts
=power, +2lbs, +$$, +bonus unbypassable ABS...
And I was ready to put down my deposit :rant

Don't forget......

Ram air
Magnessium subframe
New Dash
320mm dual front disks
R1 KYB forks
new KYB rear shock
same master brake cyclinder as the R1
2mm shorter wheelbase
new aluminum gas tank
8% less drag on the front fairings=more front end response (most aerodynamic bike yamaha ever created)
Intelligent Traction control (can detect tire wear)
Drive modes
ABS

Yeah.... Its the "same bike" with new fairings.........

·
I FEEL THE NEED...FOR SPEED.
205 Posts
took one of the greatest ever made design and just ruined it, don't like the the idea the 600cc to look like the r1, should have it's own character, meh!!!
the tach is the same as the previous gen r1, this sucks too.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I really like the white and grey scheme with the lime wheels!

Not entirely sure why they bothered to put TCS on a 600cc bike tho?
That TC has already been in the ECU for a while now. You just needed to work with a good shop that knew what they were doing with flashing to unlock it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
took one of the greatest ever made design and just ruined it, don't like the the idea the 600cc to look like the r1, should have it's own character, meh!!!
the tach is the same as the previous gen r1, this sucks too.
This. Sport bike designs are getting so boring. Nothing is exciting anymore like it was back in circa 2008 with ground breaking, beautifully designed masterpieces.

Honda made a bike that looks a little different, Suzuki made a bike with a smaller headlight, Kawasaki made a completely different bike that looks exactly the same as the old one, Yamaha made an "interesting" looking bike that has yet to grow on me...and then made it again...

Did all the good bike designers go into retirement? The scene isn't as cool as it used to be :/

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
My mechanic, who races CMRA took a look at it and shrugged it off because of the exact same motor. They missed an opportunity here but can't fault them too much, bikes don't sell like they used to.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,748 Posts
Has anyone considered that in the past 6-8 years no one has made a 600cc motor with an extra 5-10 hp...... besides the 636.......
Maybe thats because those motors are topped out *as they sit to meet emissions and noise restrictions AND longevity concerns*

So everyone saying "its the same motor" needs to consider that they did that on purpose, because to the yamaha corporation that motor is "perfect".

i.e. - makes great stock power, meets emissions, is quite enough, lasts long enough that you don't have to rebuild it too soon......

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
I agree it is unrealistic to expect huge changes in the motor for a 600 right now. The demand is low on all fronts for the 600's. However, the 675R makes extra power. Inline 4's seems to be basically maxed out currently for many reasons. The Yamaha 847cc triple could be made to make more power than the fz09 currently makes. I think a lot of people were hoping for that motor in an r6 chassis. Even if they kept the r6 the way it was for racing needs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
24 Participants
Kman37
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing