Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
I miss my R1
2,977 Posts
The Yamaha 847cc triple could be made to make more power than the fz09 currently makes. I think a lot of people were hoping for that motor in an r6 chassis.
Kind of unrelated, but what I really want to see is a new R1S based on the current FZ/MT-10 with R1 bodywork. The current R1S/R1/R1M is ridiculous. There is almost no conceivable reason why anyone would buy an R1S, IMO.

If they made a more comfortable R1 for touring, etc. I'd buy one tomorrow.

·
Collector
1,018 Posts
Took the old gal and wrapped her in new cloths, higher heels and put on some makeup.
Throw on a pair of glasses and hearing aid to help her see and hear better.
Hope Yamaha remembered to give her anti depressants to perk her up a bit as well.
Now they can charge more. Still hot but I expected a new gal.

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
Don't forget......

Ram air
Magnessium subframe
New Dash
320mm dual front disks
R1 KYB forks
new KYB rear shock
same master brake cyclinder as the R1
2mm shorter wheelbase
new aluminum gas tank
8% less drag on the front fairings=more front end response (most aerodynamic bike yamaha ever created)
Intelligent Traction control (can detect tire wear)
Drive modes
ABS

Yeah.... Its the "same bike" with new fairings.........
I had been wondering what else had changed.

what is the price difference between this one and last years model?

·
Just happy to be here...
1,748 Posts
There is almost no conceivable reason why anyone would buy an R1S, IMO.
The best reason is if you are buying a bike to do an ACTUAL full build.... not a bolt on build.... Everything the R1S doesn't have that the R1 does, you will be replacing....

Full suspension
Dash
gas tank
wheels
pistons
rods
cams
head *internals*
ECU
Harness
and so on and so on.... In the long run it saved you about 2.5k

·
I miss my R1
2,977 Posts
The best reason is if you are buying a bike to do an ACTUAL full build.... not a bolt on build.... Everything the R1S doesn't have that the R1 does, you will be replacing....

Full suspension
Dash
gas tank
wheels
pistons
rods
cams
head *internals*
ECU
Harness
and so on and so on.... In the long run it saved you about 2.5k
Very few people replace half your list.

Dash, Fuel tank, pistons, rods, cams, head, harness...

for the 2 or 3% who would, yeah the R1S makes sense.

For everyone else, the magnesium wheels alone are worth the extra money at the dealer.

·
Just happy to be here...
1,748 Posts
Very few people replace half your list.

Dash, Fuel tank, pistons, rods, cams, head, harness...

for the 2 or 3% who would, yeah the R1S makes sense.

For everyone else, the magnesium wheels alone are worth the extra money at the dealer.

Completely agree with you...... Even though the R1S was only .1 secs slower than the R1m at Steets of Willow and .4 secs slower on the Big course......

Unless you're @Gearheaded and hate the wheels :fire

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I was at Aimexpo during the unveiling, it looks really good in person, the only thing is, in some angles it looks a little wonky because they have tried to make it like its older sibling. The price is just right too, for those people who really want a great platform to start off with but they do not have a ton of money to spend on a liter bike, this is probably the best option.

You are also able to add the quickshifter from Yamaha directly, it doesn't come with it from factory. I think Yamaha as a company and their product line is way ahead of any other motorcycle manufacturer, be it the R1, R6, FZ10, FZ6, FZ9 etc...

·
Venom X/O
23,219 Posts
Completely agree with you...... Even though the R1S was only .1 secs slower than the R1m at Steets of Willow and .4 secs slower on the Big course......

Unless you're @Gearheaded and hate the wheels :fire
I don't hate the wheels, I just wish Yamaha would actually take time during the final manufacturing to do a better job machining them. They look like the paint is going to flake off :fact

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
I was at Aimexpo during the unveiling, it looks really good in person, the only thing is, in some angles it looks a little wonky because they have tried to make it like its older sibling. The price is just right too, for those people who really want a great platform to start off with but they do not have a ton of money to spend on a liter bike, this is probably the best option.

You are also able to add the quickshifter from Yamaha directly, it doesn't come with it from factory. I think Yamaha as a company and their product line is way ahead of any other motorcycle manufacturer, be it the R1, R6, FZ10, FZ6, FZ9 etc...
Until 2017 roles around lol. Times are changing. Yamaha has always been at the forefront of new technology for production motorcycles. But we are reaching a point where the big 4 are clearly making models to compete with each other that were once left to certain manufactures. 300 , 650, 600, 1000, naked, fairings, upright, supersport, etc. It is like seeing the same bikes with different colors and features lol. But times are changing, and soon yamaha will have to staunchly defend.

·
Ducati stuff
9,933 Posts
I'm thinking about picking one up for the track. I'm psyched on the bigger brakes, 43mm fork and better rear shock. it is a shame you can't disable ABS though. A cross plane would have been amazing but it is what it is. I DIGS IT!!

·
Ducati stuff
9,933 Posts
Pfft, dats what those rusty pliers on the bottom of your tool box are for. Seriously though the ABS system is very aggressive and I rarely activate it, if it's the same/similar to the one on the r1 it's track oriented for sure.
I have EVERYTHING on my 1299 turned way down.. i tried to ride it without the quick shift (up and down) the other day and it was like i just started riding a motorcycle again. All these gadgets make me feel disconnected from the asphalt and i feel like my skill level is diminishing. i should just get an old rawdag R6. but the new one is pretty dern sexy!!! :Mysheep: :Mysheep: :Mysheep:

·
For no ma'am
2,609 Posts
I have EVERYTHING on my 1299 turned way down.. i tried to ride it without the quick shift (up and down) the other day and it was like i just started riding a motorcycle again. All these gadgets make me feel disconnected from the asphalt and i feel like my skill level is diminishing. i should just get an old rawdag R6. but the new one is pretty dern sexy!!! :Mysheep: :Mysheep: :Mysheep:
I rode my Aprilia RSV4 for months before I turned the electronics on, but it's a different bike compared to the R1. The rsv4 works like a bike that had TC added, the R1 works like a fully integrated system. I guess one day I'll turn it all off just to see what the R1 actually feels like mechanically. :)

·
Ducati stuff
9,933 Posts
I rode my Aprilia RSV4 for months before I turned the electronics on, but it's a different bike compared to the R1. The rsv4 works like a bike that had TC added, the R1 works like a fully integrated system. I guess one day I'll turn it all off just to see what the R1 actually feels like mechanically. :)
Pretty sure if i turn the electronics off on the ducati something will break or a check engine light will come on. I call it the princess. high maintenance bitch that it is. hahaha

I had an RSV4 it was a great bike, never an issue. The 1299 had the rear ohlins blow out, steering stop on the lower triple broke off for no reason and when they flashed it for the akrapovic map it wiped the computer clean, they had to contact italy for codes to unlock the bike. all this within 2 months and 1000 miles of owning it.

·
For no ma'am
2,609 Posts
The 1299 had the rear ohlins blow out, steering stop on the lower triple broke off for no reason and when they flashed it for the akrapovic map it wiped the computer clean, they had to contact italy for codes to unlock the bike. all this within 2 months and 1000 miles of owning it.
Holy shite.

My 04 Duc never broke any solid parts iirc, but it leaked in places and needed adjusting pretty regularly. The Pani is a far more complicated animal. I still might get one if nothing interesting comes out in the next couple of years.

·
CLSB MEMBER
2,118 Posts
i like it. i don't like the price increase though. i would've understood the price diff only if they changed it in the engine. but then again you're paying for the options added to it from its big brother. where if one of us try doing it by ourselves it would cost more than $1200 price diff.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
24 Participants
Kman37
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing