Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've owned many suzuki's and even older r6's. Does anyone notice the R1 has a bit of hard start when you press the ignition?

at the dealership, i started a 2018 GSXR 1000, and literally i barely touched the ignition and within 1/8 of a second the bike was started. My current 2018 R1 feels a bit laggy to start, same as my 2009 GSXR 750. It doesn't struggle, but its long enough (1 second) where it makes me second guess if there is something minor wrong? I'm only comparing this to the GSXR 1000 that i tried and it blew my mind how quick it started, like flipping a switch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok mine takes a second. I know it's not long...just a bit surprised how average the ignition is versus the gsxr, instant!

Yup I let the console do its thing and let the pump prime.

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
102 Posts
Yup 2015 cringe starting it everytime, never know if it's gonna go, and this is with a speedcell

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,933 Posts
Just a character of the R1, laboured starts, they burst into life.
Fitting a lithium battery can help, the OEM is garbage.
Yeah it’s like it’s being stubborn when you try to wake it up and then it’s going to get revenge and try to kill you when you get on it’s back and twist the throttle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The battery on my 2018 R1M died (after only having the bike for a little over a year) and I swapped out to a lithium. It helps a bit. Instead of hearing 2 to 3 cycles before the thing cranks over, I only count 1 now. It's just a characteristic of the crossplane. My S1KR doesn't give me the same kind of startup issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it’s normal for the R1. I have a ‘17 FZ10 (mt10) that starts up immediately. Then I added a ‘19 R1 to the garage and was surprised at having to hold down the start button for about a full second. I totaled the ‘19 and replaced it with the 2020 version and it act the same way; a bit longer than you would expect compared to other bikes. I think it’s the fuel mapping. Anyone with a flashed ‘15-‘20 have better results? Anyway, the R1 and MT 10 have “the same” motors essentially (mt10 has longer conn rods, different cams, steel vs. titanium and magnesium internals, and only revs to 11,800). Both are Yamaha cross planes though, but they act very differently starting up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I thought I was being overly OCD but sounds like a know characteristic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
When I had my 2010 R1 it was always hard work starting it in the morning, and that's after taking it off the battery conditioner, then it would sit at work for eight hours and start much quicker when it was time to ride home.

·
back to the world...
1,965 Posts
I have had my 18 for two years. Feel same way. Sometimes worse when warm but so far she always starts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts