Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My R1 scares me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just wondering if I should go full synthetic or semi synthetic for the first oil change on my 18 R1. I've been told that the existing oil in there is still mineral oil, so I can go anywhere from there.

Has anyone gone semi synthetic? My 06 Ninja has been running like a champ on semi synthetic for 13 years.

Always trying to save a little cash, but not at the expense of my bike. The owners manual says full synthetic, and yet I'm still unsure.

Any recommendations on the oil for my first service?

Thanks, everyone!

-J

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thats what I was leaning towards. Any recommendation on brand?
Oh boy... If you ask 50 different people you may get 50 different answers. I'm a Castrol fan. Why? Because I've never had any issues with it in any of my vehicles lol. That's pretty much the argument anyone will make for any brand of motor oil that they choose. In the end it seems to boil down to personal preference, though there is science and research done to see which brands of oil maintain their properties longer. If you want to dig that deep into it there are multiple forum discussions about it. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

·
My R1 scares me
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh boy... If you ask 50 different people you may get 50 different answers. I'm a Castrol fan. Why? Because I've never had any issues with it in any of my vehicles lol. That's pretty much the argument anyone will make for any brand of motor oil that they choose. In the end it seems to boil down to personal preference, though there is science and research done to see which brands of oil maintain their properties longer. If you want to dig that deep into it there are multiple forum discussions about it. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
Ha, very good point. I only want to get far enough to come up with a few options. I'm a castrol guy myself in my ninja. So i guess it'd make sense that I could put that in my yamaha as well. I'll find a full synthetic oil to put in there.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
24,345 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts