Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new 2018 R1 this week.
Just finished prepping for the track. going to Road Atlanta May 5th.
Flushed coolant and replaced with distilled water + water wetter.
Installed Woodcraft frame sliders and Yoshimura engine case covers.
Safety wired PSR oil filler cap, PSR magnetic oil drain bolt and K&N oil filter.

I did the engine break in like this.

50% throttle 30-60% rpm 3 times
75% throttle 30-80% rpm 3 times
100% throttle 30-100% rpm 3 times
did the above and about 50 miles.
then change oil and filter.

I have been riding all my life and have had every kind of bike. air cooled kawasaki 550 4 cylinder.
air cooled yamaha XJ900 4 cylinder.
Multiple GSXR 750's from 98 model to 05 and a 92 GSXR 400.
2003 Suzuki SV 1000.
2004 ZX10 was my favorite. Would wheelie everywhere, even in top gear at 150mph over crests in the road! It had a reputation as a widow maker, but I never found it to be scary or intimidating to ride.
This 2018 R1 scares the life out of me. I am scared to take it to the track. the thing is a beast, an animal. the way it rips through the top end rpm is insane.

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some pics

Attachments

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did first track day on the 2018 R1. Road Atlanta with PRE. The bike is incredible on the power. I could barely hang on to the thing.
Wheeling everywhere and the way it would reel in other bikes on the straights it was ridiculous. Brakes are brickwall strong. I started the day using the back brake but the ABS pulsing got to be annoying so I stopped using the rear and just used the front. I never noticed the ABS on the front brake.
Absolutely exhausting to ride, I can see why they have to be so fit and have the seats padded to help hold them in place.
Hoping to go to Roebling Road on memorial day weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've got the CCU on my M and the back brake gets applied even with 0 input. Enough to engage ABS on the regular. I'm debating on the ABS delete kit, but it's a good feature on the street.

The bike is gorgeous.

Get you some type of traction pads for the tank, i'm using TechSpec but they're all good for keeping you in place better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just did first track day on the 2018 R1. Road Atlanta with PRE. The bike is incredible on the power. I could barely hang on to the thing.
Wheeling everywhere and the way it would reel in other bikes on the straights it was ridiculous. Brakes are brickwall strong. I started the day using the back brake but the ABS pulsing got to be annoying so I stopped using the rear and just used the front. I never noticed the ABS on the front brake.
Absolutely exhausting to ride, I can see why they have to be so fit and have the seats padded to help hold them in place.
Congrats on your new bike and getting it to the track. I would highly recommend upgrading your pads for track use; I had issues on track almost immediately with them.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I've got the CCU on my M and the back brake gets applied even with 0 input. Enough to engage ABS on the regular. I'm debating on the ABS delete kit, but it's a good feature on the street.

The bike is gorgeous.

Get you some type of traction pads for the tank, i'm using TechSpec but they're all good for keeping you in place better.

I get this on my M as well. I figured it was the wheel locking up from engine braking as I don’t use my rear brake. Are you sure it’s the brake, maybe from the UBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's the one thing that bugs me on my 17 is the abs pulse. I still have the sensation in my foot for a while after the ride is over. How smooth is the new blipper?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I get this on my M as well. I figured it was the wheel locking up from engine braking as I don’t use my rear brake. Are you sure it’s the brake, maybe from the UBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, UBS. You can go through logs and see it's applying brake pressure and abs intervention. I wish we could tune this for less rear brake on track.

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on your new bike and getting it to the track. I would highly recommend upgrading your pads for track use; I had issues on track almost immediately with them.
No issues here. Just did 2nd track day at Roebling Road and brakes are amazing.

·
Gas it wanker
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got a card in the mail from yamaha giving me a free trackday with sportbike track time!
woohoo!!

·
Twisty Roads for me!
859 Posts
Come up to VIR and do California Superbike school. I'll there May 6-7 on my R1.

I'm doing a trackday at CMP 04/07
come say hey if you're there

·
Twisty Roads for me!
859 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
r1guysc
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing