Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 R1M track bike. Yoyodyne slipper clutch and Woolich quick shifter + autoblipper. Last weekend at the track, as I clicked from 2nd to 3rd, during acceleration in 3rd gear, I felt a loss of power, like a complete dead spot in the power band. It feels like the bike wants to go, but it just wont. Noticed the gas light was on so I pitted in, checked gas levels, even filled the tank, went back out, same thing. Then just yesterday at a different track event, with an (almost) full tank, I felt it again. This time I kind of anticipated it, so when it happened I looked down at my dash and it seems the RPMs are still climbing and I can hear the engine getting louder in sync with the RPMs, but there is no power delivery to the rear wheel. This usually indicates clutch is slipping - but I messaged the previous owner and he said the yoyo slipper was put in the bike just before I bought it so it doesn't even have 10 track days on it. Talked to a few coaches/riders who have R1s or R1Ms, got an array of responses - gas level too low, that's just TCS kicking in, that's just LIFT control kicking in, etc etc. So I turned all these settings either off or to the lowest possible setting. And still... no dice. Still no power in 3rd gear. Coming out of the last turn onto the straight, 600s were accelerating passed me. My PWR setting is on 2, but I've always had it on 2, did a few track days with it last fall and never had such a loss of power that 600s could accelerate passed me on the straight.

Does anyone have experience with this? I am hoping its not the clutch. I have the OEM clutch so I could switch them out, but I'd rather not if thats not the root cause. I guess it could be anything - Low fuel pressure, bad tune, dirty air filter, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that was my initial thought. But then I started thinking if it was indeed the clutch then it'd be slipping in every gear, and not just 3rd...

·
Venom X/O
24,985 Posts
What track and how often were you riding out a gear or switching gears. Was it a track you were primarily shifting around the 2-3-4 gear range? Could you have been heating the clutch riding out a gear vs maintenance throttles around the track or only a few sections where you top out 4th? I guess it’s dependent, but if it was “gear specific” I think you’d audibly hear it. If you spent a lot of time in the same gear, maybe it was the clutch. I compare it to say PBIR. Besides a back straight, I’m in 2-3-4 most of the time with a lot of emphasis on 3rd gear, so if I had a clutch issue maybe it would seem like a 3rd gear issue

·
Registered
86 Posts
PWR settings only affect the throttle input to the ECU, not the actual fueling/ignition maps itself. So it's unlikely that it's the ECU maps if the bike was running fine prior to you encountering this issue.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,453 Posts
It’s most likely clutch. Air filter or fuel would be all over, tune maybe but not as likely as the clutch.
Kinda like @Gearheaded ole lady. Runs outta power in 3rd round.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts