Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I wish my bike was set up this meticulously. I think I am going to bring it into the dining room this weekend, I can tinker with it while recovering from surgery this winter.
This thread has me itching. This is definitely one BA build.
Bring that bish inside!!! Wine and dine her!!! I find it satisfying to work on the bike for 1-2-3 hrs at a time, leave and come back.

8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So a little background info here. I just did an “unbuild” for one of my track fam on an R1M. He’s selling his bike stock and already took delivery on a Ducati SP. All the parts that came off his bike, I’ve sold or kept for this R6 build, for example the calipers and master.

So some parts are used and some are new.

By the way, putting a bike back to stock is no where nearly as fun as building a race bike!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,098 Posts
So originally we were not doing wheels, but I ran across a for sale on the forums and the guy was local to me about 60 mins away. The price was reasonable, I think I paid 1650 with galfer rotors all around. We are not going full send here, trying to fit this into somewhat of a budget...:D

And I think you would notice the weight savings more on a carbon front than a forged alum front.

View attachment 1021667
Ah, not going full send. ;)
I found that, due to the mass and the one, smaller rotor on the rear wheel versus the two rotors up front, the weight reduction was more pronounced on the rear.
Opinion on the Galfer rotors? I prefer others that may not have as great of a market presence.... But since you're not going full send... :ROFLMAO:

8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ah, not going full send. ;)
I found that, due to the mass and the one, smaller rotor on the rear wheel versus the two rotors up front, the weight reduction was more pronounced on the rear.
Opinion on the Galfer rotors? I prefer others that may not have as great of a market presence.... But since you're not going full send... :ROFLMAO:
Galfer has been in the market for as long as I can remember riding, I think they make a good product. The rotors look nice, but I prefer T-drives. But these will do just fine for our application.

Regarding wheel weight, I think you would notice losing weight on the front more than on the rear no, during turn in for example?

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,098 Posts
Regarding wheel weight, I think you would notice losing weight on the front more than on the rear no, during turn in for example?
Fair point. I think the weight loss numbers are greater in the rear but more noticeable in the front, due to feel and turning. (y)

8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You have a nice set up brother!
Thank you broham!! You should of seen what the garage looked like before. I honestly wish I had a larger garage so I can fit 2 lifts and a couch so I could have my friends over while we do the builds. Oh yea and a fridge, and insulation and heat

8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Decided to do the chain adjusters, was getting impatient and bored…

Also mocked up the rear wheel. I didn’t have enough room for the rear stand, and obviously couldn’t flip the bike around. This was certainly nerve racking!!!

8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
what’s the main purpose of the after market chain adjusters? Stronger? Chain adjustment precision?
Love the Oz’s. Had a set on a Duc streetfighter .
You won’t have to deal with axle blocks anymore, just remove the axle and wheel. No need to adjust the chain anymore.

The OZ rear wheel is very nice. Can’t wait to mount the carbon BST front!!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts