Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
There's NO way to argue against the fact that the Yamaha is as many as 8-9 MPH slower on some straights than the others. That's HUGE power differences.

Give that same power to the Yamaha (as long as all the other "positives" stay in tact for that bike), then we have a new game.
Top speed isn't just power, it's aero as well now. The factory Yamahas were slower than the Petronas bikes; maybe their aero package is part of the problem.

Quateraro would have been on pole if Marquez hadn't drafted Dovi so brilliantly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My basic understanding of AREO is that the more downforce created results in less TOP SPEED,being a direct factor that cant be changed, unless of coarse they invent rotating winglets that flatten out on the straights.

·
I miss my R1
2,976 Posts
You're not wrong, but used properly, winglets can prevent wheelies under hard acceleration without relying on anti-wheelie to cut the power which can actually result in a higher top speed on the straights depending on the track.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds too simple, but servo motor controlled winglet angles that work in conjunction with anti wheelie sensors could deliver the best of both situations.Not unlike aircraft and their controllable flaps.(Anybody got the phone number of Rossi's chief engineer!)

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
Top speed isn't just power, it's aero as well now. The factory Yamahas were slower than the Petronas bikes; maybe their aero package is part of the problem.

Quateraro would have been on pole if Marquez hadn't drafted Dovi so brilliantly.
Aero actually slows the bikes down in a straight line. It's done to keep the front wheel on the ground. You don't know what you are talking about. The engine has never been more important in the history of Grand Prix than it is today.

The Petronas bikes are using the 2018 engines. The 2019 engines tamed down the power to make the rear tire last. What have the Petronas bikes done well? Qualify that's what. Get in the race and they aren't doing anything spectacular.
Pole is neat but no championship points for it. Race results are all that matter.

What is scary for factory Yamaha is the beginning of the year they were somewhat competitive. But Ducati and Honda have been having to figure out their 2019 packages. They are starting to dial them in and getting everything clicking. As this progresses Yamaha will be left in the rear. Low speed corners, coming out of them they are getting killed, getting killed on the straights. It's only going to get worse for them. Aero improvements aren't going to solve engine problems.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Aero actually slows the bikes down in a straight line. It's done to keep the front wheel on the ground. You don't know what you are talking about. The engine has never been more important in the history of Grand Prix than it is today.

The Petronas bikes are using the 2018 engines. The 2019 engines tamed down the power to make the rear tire last. What have the Petronas bikes done well? Qualify that's what. Get in the race and they aren't doing anything spectacular.

Pole is neat but no championship points for it. Race results are all that matter.
Exactly, it could be the factory aero is creating more drag and slowing the bikes. So the M1 engine may not be that far down on power, but they are losing speed to drag.

Another issue this year is they can only homologate 2 aero packages for the whole season, so get those wrong and you're in trouble. And Yamaha seem to keep getting things wrong.

Morbidelli has a 2019 bike. There are some minor differences, but it is basically this year's model. Quatararo has an older bike, possibly Zarco's from last year.

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
Exactly, it could be the factory aero is creating more drag and slowing the bikes. So the M1 engine may not be that far down on power, but they are losing speed to drag.

Another issue this year is they can only homologate 2 aero packages for the whole season, so get those wrong and you're in trouble. And Yamaha seem to keep getting things wrong.

Morbidelli has a 2019 bike. There are some minor differences, but it is basically this year's model. Quatararo has an older bike, possibly Zarco's from last year.
Fabio is on Zarco's old bike which is/was Lorenzo's old bike. The chassis he is using is the last one Lorenzo used while at Yamaha. Like Zarco, Fabio's riding style is similar to Lorenzo which is while the package is working for him. The factory riders are slugging it with the new packages while Petronas can mix and match.

·
I miss my R1
2,976 Posts
I read an interview with Merengali the other day (can't recall the source atm) and he said the bikes Franky and Fabio are on are 90% the same as the bikes Rossi and Maverick are on.

I don't believe this "so and so is on so and so's old bike" the serial number on the chassis might be the same, but unless the head honcho is feeding the media lies, that sounds like it'd be where the similarities end.

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
I read an interview with Merengali the other day (can't recall the source atm) and he said the bikes Franky and Fabio are on are 90% the same as the bikes Rossi and Maverick are on.

I don't believe this "so and so is on so and so's old bike" the serial number on the chassis might be the same, but unless the head honcho is feeding the media lies, that sounds like it'd be where the similarities end.
Fabio is riding Zarco’s chassis which was Lorenzo’s chassis.

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
F*ckin' Lorentho.
Needs to get penalized. One rider race incident. Scuttling three, all three factory riders, and a championship contender, race direction needs to throw the hammer down, not the mantequilla.

The POS didn’t even walk down to the garages and apologize. May have cost Andrea any remote chance of a 2019 title bid.

·
Just Me.
220 Posts
To see the top contenders chopped down like that, especially at the beginning of the race, it takes all of the excitement and fun out of the race. Accidents happen, but...

I'm glad everyone was okay.

Big ups to Quatararo.

·
The Poe Poe!
636 Posts
Nothing to contribute for the longest time, until he can gloat about Rossi having bad luck.

Yep, Troll.

·
The Poe Poe!
636 Posts
261 - 280 of 333 Posts
About this Discussion
332 Replies
27 Participants
Mysteryman
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing