Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just finished my first 1000 KM ( still need to go & perform the first service ).

Can it be that after 130/120 KM, I get into reserve tank? meaning I'm fill 15 liters after 120/130 KM = 1/6 1/7 per liter sounds unreal to me, at first I was sure I didn't see correctly, Or missed the km reset after each fueling, but after monitoring it I saw 15 liters after riding 120 KM.

Additional information: The R1 came with, an akrapovic mid pip and
akrapovic slip on, so no cat convector + no Exsup servo, O2 sensor connected.

I'm a big man 1/84 & 130 KG, should this effect that much on the fueling consumption?
I'm not even pushing it yet..

Any insight, would be appreciated

-Shay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
17l/100 km or 13 mpg here, track only, 6'3, 230 lbs for reference
Thank you,

I can assume you're pushing the bike a lot more.
It's a brand new R1, I'm riding it only a week or so, only on street. Still learning how it goes.

In the same pace, on the bmw s1000rr I had, it would go for 1.12 1.14 it's a bit of a shock.

Sent from my H9436 using Tapatalk

·
2016 R1
215 Posts
If you do any exhaust, intake, and tuning to the bike be prepared to plan your ride around fuel stops if you’re gonna be doing longer rides. It absolutely drinks fuel once it’s breathing the way it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
Spend a little xtra time filling the tank to maximum. I shake it as I fill to the top of the neck. I now get almost 150miles to a tank

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you,

That was already performed.
240KM sounds as a sweet dream on my current new R1, I'm on reserve after 120KM, after filling a full tank. so for sure 14/15 liters are gone.

Even if I wait a play with the fuel hose, it will add max 400 CC of fuel. won't make that difference.

next week, I'm going to my first service, I'll mention the issue & hope that Yamaha mechanics will fix it.

I'll update after the service.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thank you,

That was already performed.
240KM sounds as a sweet dream on my current new R1, I'm on reserve after 120KM, after filling a full tank. so for sure 14/15 liters are gone.

Even if I wait a play with the fuel hose, it will add max 400 CC of fuel. won't make that difference.

next week, I'm going to my first service, I'll mention the issue & hope that Yamaha mechanics will fix it.

I'll update after the service.

After I flashed mine with ftecu, it still ran pretty fat and used a ton of gas. I finally had it dynoed by Attack performance. It runs excellent and gets as good gas mileage as this model can get. Aprox 32 per gal

·
I miss my R1
2,978 Posts
Thank you,

I can assume you're pushing the bike a lot more.
It's a brand new R1, I'm riding it only a week or so, only on street. Still learning how it goes.

In the same pace, on the bmw s1000rr I had, it would go for 1.12 1.14 it's a bit of a shock.

Sent from my H9436 using Tapatalk
My friend has a 2017 FZ-10 and I have a 2017 S1000R... I get roughly 60miles/100km more to a 17 liter tank than he does.

The CP4 converts the extra fuel into awesome noise, imo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After moving from a CBR 1000RR to my first R1 a 2016 I'm shocked at the fuel consumption as well. It's clear they set these extremely rich from the factory. Plan to get a flash and mid pipe soon but not expected mileage to improve much if at all.

·
An R1 kinda day!
233 Posts
My 2015 Raven, bone stock, 6.8L to 100km if I am stretching. That's 43 mi per gal. Otherwise 34 after a spirited ride up the mountain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2015 Raven, bone stock, 6.8L to 100km if I am stretching. That's 43 mi per gal. Otherwise 34 after a spirited ride up the mountain.
I wish, 1.14 ( 6.8L to 100K ) is wow.

I did the 1000KM service.
I asked if there's anything they can do, I got a laconic answer that the CP engine is known for his high fuel burning.

After 120KM had to fuel 15 liters. so no change after the first service.

Maybe it's me? I'm holding the RPM, most of the time, around 9-10K otherwise I feel uncomfortable on the bike..

-Shay

·
An R1 kinda day!
233 Posts
It just me. I think I said in a different post that I usually do not cruise in 2nd or 3rd even though the bike is comfortable doing it. Hey, not being a ham fisted maniac on public roads sometimes has its perks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
There's a screen you can see your live fuel consumption and watching that will really put into perspective how your riding affects it. I can cruise gently and normal road speeds and 40+ MPG or 5-6L/100k for our metric friends but once you get on it a bit you will see it drop to around 10 mpg. i have actually had it a couple times where i went into a highway stretch and a quarter of the way in realized i wasnt gonna make it i went back got fuel and had to tone it down to make it the 180K through the BC rockies. My R1M gets consistently worse fuel milage then my 17 diesel F350 and my right hand is purely to blame.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see about 28 mpg per tank (around 100 miles) with me cruising on the freeway at 6-8k RPMs (gotta blast those cagers with that big bang exhaust noise). I do have a Graves Type R exhaust with exup valve that just makes the bike more fun to rev because you can hear the pipe open up, so maybe that's to blame for my lower mpg. I was seeing 37 mpg before my flash. 87.5kg if you want a rider weight reference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
sixtwosix
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing