Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha YZF-R1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting my 19’ ready for season and went to dealer to get oil. They didn’t have any yamalube full synthetic 15w50 that I normally use. So the counter guy sold me Motul 5100 15w50. Thinking it was full synthetic. But when I got home found the 5100 is semi. Should I be okay to use it? or should I return and get full synthetic?

Counter guy says Motul 5100 is on par with yamalube? And I should be okay to use it. That’s why I got it.

·
Nevermore
1,207 Posts
If anything he should of sold you 7100.

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
813 Posts
Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w50 for spring and summer. Then 10w40 for fall and winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would not use anything but full synthetic oil. The bike is built/tested/shipped with full synthetic oil. I even verified with dealer that synthetic oil is used at first service during break-in.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha YZF-R1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. I'll return it then and get full synthetic. The guy was going to give me 300V for price of Yamalube but didn't have 5 qts. So only 15w50 was Motul 5100. Will have to shop around for full synthetic then. Thanks!

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
813 Posts
I'm just a crazy old man. Owned bikes since the early 70's. Learned a few things along the way.

Summer time temp here run in the 90 degrees range. Fall on into winter 60s and 70s.

I like the slightly thicker when it's hot.

Liquid cooled is great, but I like to give her a little help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Motul 300V is really good stuff. Highly recommend it. Personally I only run 40 weight. I see early morning Temps as low as the 50's in the early part of the season. No real need to run 50w where I live because it never really gets that hot.

As far as running different weights....the reason why is for starting and warm up. The thinner the oil, the easier starting and warm up would be in colder Temps. 50w is thick and gives great lubrication, but when Temps drop, can get a little too thick for my taste for engine start up. The worst thing you can do to an engine is start it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Yam R1S
13 Posts
Just getting my 19’ ready for season and went to dealer to get oil. They didn’t have any yamalube full synthetic 15w50 that I normally use. So the counter guy sold me Motul 5100 15w50. Thinking it was full synthetic. But when I got home found the 5100 is semi. Should I be okay to use it? or should I return and get full synthetic?

Counter guy says Motul 5100 is on par with yamalube? And I should be okay to use it. That’s why I got it.
Like other comments- stick w/ full synthetic. Mixing oil types is not good for these hi-rev engines. AS for viscosity (resistance to flow), it‘s a matter of typical climate temps. In TX it gets hot, thus use 15W50 year round. Even up north w/ colder climes, I don’t see R1’rs riding when the temps dip below 30, unless you’re a gnarly mountain man ;-) or you ride cruisers or tour bikes w/ heating gear, etc. The only reason to use a lower viscosity oil is for colder (ie, <32) riding, which to my understanding from friends up north, is not typical- they ‘winterize’ their bikes, which is unheard of here in the South

1 - 9 of 9 Posts