Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion on the 2019 r1 is it's awesome! I had a few bolt vibrate out to start with but that's no biggie as I should have checked them myself. Now I’ve had to replace the air intake 2 weeks ago. Now it’s cracked again. I suck at wheelies so I come down really really hard which snaps the air intake in two. I don't blame Yamaha... I blame myself. My old 2001 r1 witch I had for 10 years never had this issues. I could slam it down again and again but it would never break. So I need to figure out some way to reinforce this one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So, you figured out how to pop the front up. Congrats. Now, practice your roll off and bringing her down easy. This time it was just an intake that got cracked. Wait until you spit all the oil out of the forks.

Remember, practice is key. Be easy when you bring her down, don't just chop the throttle.

Just my .02

·
Registered
83 Posts
Use the back brake to control wheelie, it's the best way something that existed for years on track. The wheelie control for me works better in 2 the 3. Mine is a 2015, for it to crack the front air duct mount, it can't be doing the fork seals any good . I never clutch up wheelies, it has near on 200hp at the back wheel. Mine is a track mainly, it will be getting gen 7 Seton mapping it which will make smoother.

·
Become one with THE ONE.
584 Posts
My 2016 cracked too. That air duck holds so much weight. Pain in the butts to remove so many items to get to it too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call it piss poor riding all u want I’m not perfect like y’all claim u are. Didn't ask for sarcasm or negative comments. Yea sometimes it comes down hard. Shit happens but still 1/4'' of plastic holds up the whole front end is just piss poor design by Yamaha. And yeah I’m not a perfect wheelie guy. I’m practicing and it takes time. I’m sure you were perfect when u first started riding. My bad, I know I’m going to reinforce this air duct so it’s not just 4 small points taking up the weight on the front end.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hear you bud, and I personally was just weighing in with some advice. I realize some harsh words have been levied, but I kept mine pretty clean.

If you are dead set on altering the front cowl and enhancing the mount points, that's on you, and commendable. If you have a tig handy and some tube I'm sure you can twist something in there. Before you do though, can I recommend going back with stock and gluing the scoops to the plenum with some rtv before you screw them in? Rtv should be stiff enough to keep the ducts from cracking and rubbery enough to put up with the vibration.

Again, just my .02

·
Registered
83 Posts
my bad, I didn’t mean to misspeak. It’s piss poor illegal riding.
He could be doing them in his driveway, we don't know. Besides, I've been known to bring up the front from time to time. I've also been known to exceed the posted limit from time to time. If I just wanted reliable transportation to and fro with little to no fuss or excitement I'd have bought a Corolla.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
so aside from the obvious coming down hard from wheelies, which i do sometimes and i have never broken an intake. make sure you aren't over tightening the bolts when you install it. make sure the side fairings are aligned and you aren;t having to push on anythings when assembling it. extra tension from other places can cause this. there really isn;t that much weight on the intake. they make aftermarket intakes if its something that concerns you, i have the carbon intake on my track bike.

·
Venom X/O
23,675 Posts
He could be doing them in his driveway, we don't know. Besides, I've been known to bring up the front from time to time. I've also been known to exceed the posted limit from time to time. If I just wanted reliable transportation to and fro with little to no fuss or excitement I'd have bought a Corolla.
You won’t justify breaking the law to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gear, that's fine bud. Back to the thread though. Head says he had an '01 he flogged and that his '19 don't stand up to a good thrashing. Now there are a myriad of reasons things broke. We can call it piss poor illegal riding. That seems dismissive. I understand that an r1 is not a dirtbike and shouldn't be treated as one. I agree that wheelies on public roads are unsafe and put bystanders at unnecessary risk. I also will add that poorly executed wheelies pose more of a threat. The above said, squids gonna squid. Now, how can we, as a community and as individuals help head grow into the rider we want him to be? I've attempted to give my advice although I've been rather reckless with it and haven't given any caveats like, be safe. Do stupid things when you put only yourself at risk. Don't do stupid things on public roads etc. My bad. I've also admitted that I engage in hooligan behavior. Also a bit of a misstep on my end. I was simply presenting my point of view without regard for any consequence that may come from my admission. On the other hand there is you. You are a long time forum member. I'm sure you have a wealth of invaluable perspective to share with this fellow rider. Instead you have chosen to simply insult him. Twice.

I agree with your statement that I will not justify lawbreaking to you. I will state that I don't intend to change your point of view and that I admire your commitment to being an upright member of your community. I will consider wheelie rehab if they open one near by.

·
Venom X/O
23,675 Posts
Gear, that's fine bud. Back to the thread though. Head says he had an '01 he flogged and that his '19 don't stand up to a good thrashing. Now there are a myriad of reasons things broke. We can call it piss poor illegal riding. That seems dismissive. I understand that an r1 is not a dirtbike and shouldn't be treated as one. I agree that wheelies on public roads are unsafe and put bystanders at unnecessary risk. I also will add that poorly executed wheelies pose more of a threat. The above said, squids gonna squid. Now, how can we, as a community and as individuals help head grow into the rider we want him to be? I've attempted to give my advice although I've been rather reckless with it and haven't given any caveats like, be safe. Do stupid things when you put only yourself at risk. Don't do stupid things on public roads etc. My bad. I've also admitted that I engage in hooligan behavior. Also a bit of a misstep on my end. I was simply presenting my point of view without regard for any consequence that may come from my admission. On the other hand there is you. You are a long time forum member. I'm sure you have a wealth of invaluable perspective to share with this fellow rider. Instead you have chosen to simply insult him. Twice.

I agree with your statement that I will not justify lawbreaking to you. I will state that I don't intend to change your point of view and that I admire your commitment to being an upright member of your community. I will consider wheelie rehab if they open one near by.
The answer to his problem comes in three forms:
1. Stop being an idiot
2. Stop sucking at wheelies
3. Buy a upgraded fairing stay that’s made from aluminum.

it took me two seconds and a google search to find a forum sponsor who sells an aluminum DBHolders stay, or a carbon fiber one.

again if he thinks a fairing stay is his problem hes got another thing coming when the front forks start weeping.

One thing about me is I’ve been on this forum for quite some time, and I’ve seen many types of individuals roll though. The OP in this situation barges in and starts calling the bike piss poor, yet it’s actually his riding style that licks balls. I’m so sick and tired of mouth breathers blathering about on how something that was masterfully engineered; with thousand of man hours and hundreds of years of collective experience was poorly designed. Yet I’d love to see something the OP engineered and massed prodcued... I bet he doesn’t have anything.

then, come to find out is actually his “piss poor” riding style that is causing the bike to fail. Plus, he’s lucky its the cheap parts right now and not something expensive like the forks, or the frame, or the headstock, or rims. It’s a 150$ OEM part letting him know he needs to stop slamming the front.

ive been on here quite some time, and yet there’s active members on here who have been around longer and have not said a word to him, who are much more opinionated then me. I’m just tired of the people who have zero experience designing or manufacturing a mass produced product bashing it in the internet all the time; so yea, I’m gonna speak my mind.

·
I miss my R1
3,260 Posts
There are lots of threads on this forum about how to properly execute wheelies, why not take the time to read/research how to do them, rather than get snotty when someone points out you're crashing the front?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he thinks he knows how to do a wheelie (although he didn't know to turn off or turn down lift control without starting a new thread) and that it would require the use of the search button. We all know folks barely use the search feature. One need only to look at the introduction section to see.

I look forward to seeing head grow both as a member here and as a rider. If that means I have to use the search feature for him from time to time, so be it. So far his attitude has been pretty negative, then again he has been given some salt to add flavor.

I'm not going to bash on him for being a hooligan because I share some of that dna. I should have cautioned him not to put others at risk and to practice in a controlled environment.

When I wanted to practice my wheelies I actually found it rather difficult to locate an appropriate place. I was almost cited for using a school parking lot (on a Sunday) etc. I refrain from practice on public roads. In the end I found a strip club that doesn't mind if I practice during the day when they are closed and authorities seem to be satisfied with that solution. Can't do them at home, can't do 'em on the street and heaven forbid you do one at the track. Where are the kids supposed to wheelie? Before you say in the dirt, I'm not taking an r1 to an mx course.

Though this deviates from the original post I feel it is important to Express the idea that we all need to remember that we were green once too. Perhaps with some patience, understanding and some advice we can salvage some of these users rather than sk them.

·
Venom X/O
23,675 Posts
I don’t have a problem with
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he thinks he knows how to do a wheelie (although he didn't know to turn off or turn down lift control without starting a new thread) and that it would require the use of the search button. We all know folks barely use the search feature. One need only to look at the introduction section to see.

I look forward to seeing head grow both as a member here and as a rider. If that means I have to use the search feature for him from time to time, so be it. So far his attitude has been pretty negative, then again he has been given some salt to add flavor.

I'm not going to bash on him for being a hooligan because I share some of that dna. I should have cautioned him not to put others at risk and to practice in a controlled environment.

When I wanted to practice my wheelies I actually found it rather difficult to locate an appropriate place. I was almost cited for using a school parking lot (on a Sunday) etc. I refrain from practice on public roads. In the end I found a strip club that doesn't mind if I practice during the day when they are closed and authorities seem to be satisfied with that solution. Can't do them at home, can't do 'em on the street and heaven forbid you do one at the track. Where are the kids supposed to wheelie? Before you say in the dirt, I'm not taking an r1 to an mx course.

Though this deviates from the original post I feel it is important to Express the idea that we all need to remember that we were green once too. Perhaps with some patience, understanding and some advice we can salvage some of these users rather than sk them.
ah, I admire your optimism. I too share optimism for growing the sport.

what I want you to do is read his original post again, and see if you still have the same opinion.

If he can take the time to register for a forum and trash talk, he’s got time to google a reinforced fairing stay and order it.

the question here isn’t how to save a rider and grow a community; the topic is it OP’s crap attitude, laziness, and lack of respect for a very well crafted machine.

if you want to discuss how to grow the community, advise a “green” rider, (who shouldn’t be doing wheeliea in the first place since he’s apparently so green), and where it’s safe to ride with intent to push limits, start a thread like that and I’ll come in with all kinds of respect, willingness to share my experiences and opinions, and be civil about it.

come in here like a crybaby gossiping school girl, I’ll call it like it is ??‍♂

I don’t have an attitude or anything, obviously text over the web can’t display body language. But it is what it is

·
Registered
83 Posts
The LIF control won't do nothing if you are going at a certain speed and clutch it up. The 2018 I believe had an electronics update where the LIF is smoother. With mag OZ wheels in mine it is a bit lively, but it seems handle everything on the circuit.
It is not a stunt bike, if I wanted to learn to do wheelies I would get a Supermoto. To me it is a race bike, I have one tooth down on the front and one up on the back. It will pull a wheelie on the throttle in the first 3 gears no problem and the LIF control works OK, it is better on 2 than 3 as it is not so abrubt. At Donnington on the back straight as it goes over the rise it lifts the front and keeps it there for little bit and brings it down nicely with no intervention from me i just keep it pinned . You are asking the bike to do something it ain't designed for. I have had mine for a year and the front is always lifting on circuit and it has never broke the front air duct. I am with Gearheaded on this one.
I would not say it is a bike to be practicing wheelies on.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I do believe the db holders only has aluminum for the bracket that holds the gauges and the mirrors the rest is fiberglass or carbon. I don't know why you guys have become so worked up over this. Just because someone buys the same motorcycle as you doesn't mean you have anything in common. I saw this when I went to coat and got to see all the pieces of human filth that bought R1M's. OP is a bit of a squid slamming wheelies and then slammin the bike for not being designed for it but he's just talking shit whatever. The new R1 is geared too tall it isn't meant for this but he will figure it out and once he puts that pizza size sprocket on the back and he gets rid of the front end to put the street fighter setup and the crash cage he's gonna come back and make you guys regret the day you called his wheelies trash. He'll be hammering in that gas tank (even though it's aluminum and will leak after) and poppin up on there while he wheelies circles around you guys. Stay tuned haters ...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts