Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Nevermore
1,037 Posts
Hate the look from the rear. Looks weird and too Camaro ish. Like everything else.

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,395 Posts
For me this is GM doing what it does best F*ing things up to dead. First they take an american Icon a give it to the Italian to design it. What can go wrong with that?! Well, it looks like a cheap Ferrari. Terrible! GM please pay back the money u stoled from us americans tax payers and then DIE!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the new style. I may be in the minority.

I own a 2002 supercharged Z06 with a fairly large cam...it sounds so good!! GM did good on the LS6 engine and the C5 is such a classic design! I prefer the older styles over the new...I guess I'm old school when it comes to corvettes

·
Nevermore
1,037 Posts
Hopefully the C7 prices crash so I can pick up a silver convertible grand sport with a stick.

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
it will take some getting used to in terms of looks. i've always loved the old tear drop back window hatch..

in so far as performance, i dont mind the direction.. change is good, and as sad as It is locally most Vettes for sale are all automatics.

people are dicks. This is why we cant have nice things. :D

yes, there's a joke in there somewhere, at least it gets paddle shift.. i'm happy :lol

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of too many cars that are manual-only off the top of my head. Manufacturers know they can sell more if they have an auto variant.
I own a 2002 RSX Type S!. from 2002 to 2006 it ONLY ever came with a 6 Speed Standard..

they offered a lesser model with a different engine which did have a 'premium' (read leather interior, bose stereo)
version in Automatic, but of course the Type S is a true drivers car.. It still turns heads whenever you see one. lol

BUT in so far as Corvette and other 'muscle' cars around these parts, good luck selling a STANDARD only version.
It just doesnt happen, the ones that have the money dont care for driving stick. They are the ones placing the
actual orders when a new model is released. So yes Chevrolet literally has the numbers to prove standards dont sell :shake

i get it, technology keeps moving forward and modern times dont require such pleasure toys :(

i can tell you Jerry Seinfeld will likely hate this fvcking Vette.. :lol

·
Super Moderator
45,315 Posts
When i got my 370Z, there was only 2 cars in the country that had what i wanted, which among other things, was the 6-spd manual. The dealer showed up to pick it up, only to learn it was stolen the night before and damaged heavily, so off they went for a few hundred more miles to get the other one. So yeah, I will literally go across the country to get a manual. My son is the same way, the license plate on his Lexus is "NOPRNDL".

·
Booya
34,507 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of too many cars that are manual-only off the top of my head. Manufacturers know they can sell more if they have an auto variant.
Porsche is going to be the only one's left - and I hope they keep them around. I have the last of the 3-series 6mt cars (2018 340i) and we won't get rid of our '14 535 6mt, also the last year they included them. I'm on the hunt for a '16 M5 with low enough mileage to justify the maintenance nightmare. But it's also the last year of the manuals for that car. I had a '15 Z4 with a 6mt as a lease and should have bought it out. Figured the new one would have a stick, but no soup.

It's a sad day, but I'm hoping that a number of the "enthusiast" cars keep them on some trim level. BMW for example is calling the new M3 trim, "Pure" if you want a stick. Works for me.

C/D had a good article why the new Vette doesn't have one. Had to do with the age group they are going after (young kids don't know how to drive a manual) and where they put the foot wells. They claim, a clutch pedal would fit, but its so cramped due to the steering and control arms for the left front wheel, it woudl be like driving an old Lamborghini from the '80s. All in all a great car, but I'm with the guy that said to keep an eye on the '17s and see if you can pick one up for a song. There is a Z06 local here with a manual in it, 22k off msrp right now.

Something else that is truly a win for this car is the price. Acura claimed it wasn't possible to build a sub 100k car anymore with the performance numbers they were wanting. Chevy just blew that out of the water. Granted, the Z06 and other variants, especially with options are going to raise the price somewhat dramatically; but by introducing this car with the intention that if you could afford the old one, you can afford this one hopefully will stress the market enough to drop with the idea that performance = +100k price tags.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,466 Posts
Boooo! I like the old front engined vettes. This looks too European for an American car.
It definitely invokes the image of a number of European supercars. Thing is, I feel like if you look at some of the old Corvette designs, they were reminiscent of a number of European sport car styles, too; not the *same* by any means, but definitely closer than the past couple decades of Corvette designs were.

·
Take the red pill
6,794 Posts
External design looks great except for the rear. Can't believe (well yes I can it's Chevy) the rear like someone else said. Looks like a base Camaro and awful. Love the cockpit. The way everything is aimed at the driver, very cool. No manual is a true disappointment. I've driven so many DCT's, and still choose manual every time. My performance car in the garage is a manual, and always will be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
Gearheaded
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing