Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I was in the local Mazda dealership getting the second complimentary service on my CX-5 (love it!...also an original owner of a first gen 1995 Miata, with the bigger 1.8 engine and last year before OBD-2-the simplicity is magic-plenty of nicer, faster cars but none will put a bigger smile on your face!!) and while I was waiting I picked up an issue of Motor Trend Magazine April 2019 and there was an interesting article pitting an R1M ($22,999) against a Z06 Vette ($110,000), a Mercedes AMG GTR ($196,000) on the track.

True, drivers and riders come with all different levels of skill and some tracks will suit some bikes and cars better than others but the R1M smoked em!

Well actually it was still pretty close but all things considered pretty impressive I have to say considering its competition!

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,995 Posts
Well actually it was still pretty close but all things considered pretty impressive I have to say considering its competition!
no cup holders though :corn

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,995 Posts

·
Just Me.
223 Posts
My $0.02.

I saw the car review and interview with Tadge Juechter, and I have my :thumbsup: and :thumbsdwn.

I'll explain. First, I understand that a manual transmission can't compete with a computer that allows a transmission to shift in xxxx millisecond. I get it. The fact that the C8 will not be manufactured in manual sucks @ss IMO. :thumbsdwn

"When I asked Corvette lead engineer Tadge Juechter at the reveal of the 2020 Corvette on Thursday if there is any chance the manual will come back, he replied simply: “No.”"

Source: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124170_corvette-chief-engineer-no-manual-for-c8-its-a-dying-business

I also know that the design of the previous generations was holding performace back. I've grown used to the styling of the Vette over the last umpteen years, and I still love the older body styling. This is not to say the C8 will not grow on me, but for now, it's just okay.

Power and performace wise, I understand it's the best ever made. With a newer generation car, I'd always expect that. On paper and performace/track testing, it's confirmed/verified/validated. That's a plus. I'll experience it when I get to drive it myself. I heard GM has damn near made it close to a 50/50 weight distribution. I don't know what it is, but blance is good. Ideally,

Also, it's even closer to compteing with the supercars, although previous model (not the base model) already tackled that problem at 1/3 the price.

As of now, I'm neutral, and should I go out and buy a Vette tomorrow, it'll be a mint condition low mileage C6 ZR1. This is not to say I wouldn't consider a C8 in the near future, but I need to experiemnt and evaluate.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
ussprinceton
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing