Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
FT won't have it till 2021, and don't have your hopes up. If you want to uncork 2020+ R1, go race kit route.
Curious... Where did you get this info? I spoke to them (FT ECU) about two weeks ago and they wouldn’t give ANY info as they don’t want anyone getting their hopes up. In all the vendors I have personally talked to, it sounds like they can get into the ECU to keep the changes or get to a dead end road, somehow. Once again, assumptions because of the limited info they are giving. Not calling you out, just hearing different things. I ended up putting a PC V and dyno tuned because the decat system was making the bike cut out like Motonosity in his video. Now I get the PC check engine light every now and then.. I’m ready to have this damn thing flashed like everyone else.

·
Crash OverRide
1,354 Posts
It’s pretty lame to have bought this bike and still hung with this bs of no flash available or thinking of dropping $2k to get a harness and ecu to do a proper tune. Like what is the difference in the ‘19 vs ‘20 besides euro 5 emission?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It’s pretty lame to have bought this bike and still hung with this bs of no flash available or thinking of dropping $2k to get a harness and ecu to do a proper tune. Like what is the difference in the ‘19 vs ‘20 besides euro 5 emission?
I heard Yamaha used a different ecu than what was in the ‘19 and earlier.
The ‘20 is 100% TBW too.
They also tweaked the heads a bit too and increased the hp.

·
Crash OverRide
1,354 Posts
Now that you say that I just remember that too.
I believe this bike would be a hell of a rocket once it’s unlocked

·
Registered
340 Posts
Curious... Where did you get this info? I spoke to them (FT ECU) about two weeks ago..........
The info I got does not give any hope, it's from FT and other companies in EU. No one has cracked the ECU, all hope for 2021.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The info I got does not give any hope, it's from FT and other companies in EU. No one has cracked the ECU, all hope for 2021.
I’m not saying it gave hope, you actually even stated, “don’t have your hopes up”. Haha What I’m getting at is, did they specifically state it would not be until next year? When I spoke to them, they would not give any timeline at all and then others within the forum have stated they heard the timeline is potentially November.. A lot of people saying different things and I’ve talked to some of the same vendors but I don’t have connections to get any inside info. I feel like with sporting events opening back up and going into 2021 racing season, I’d hope that they push to have this ECU cracked/flashable for us prior to spring.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, they said not until 2021. Until we actually see a flash, it's all speculation. Either keep and ride the bike stock, or go GYTR route. Some go with piggyback systems, but not the direction I would go in. All of the restrictions are in the ECU.

Or do like me, and switch to a GSXR 2020.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, they said not until 2021. Until we actually see a flash, it's all speculation. Either keep and ride the bike stock, or go GYTR route. Some go with piggyback systems, but not the direction I would go in. All of the restrictions are in the ECU.

Or do like me, and switch to a GSXR 2020.
Since the crystal ball isn’t telling us anything about the ECU flash.... How do you like the GSXR compared to the R1?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm picking up the GSXR this weekend, only sat on one, did not ride one. Right away it felt narrower than R1, better ergos for me. My tuner said with race harness/ecu, superstock engine, GSXR makes 190-195HP to the wheel, most linear power of all liter bikes, weighs 370lbs in race trim without fuel. All of the racers I talked to in expert think it's a well balanced bike.

Only factory teams (Attacks in US) that know how to tune the 2020 R1, even if you put race harness/ecu on 2020 R1, no shop would really know how to dial it in. Because no one has the data, only race teams do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm picking up the GSXR this weekend, only sat on one, did not ride one. Right away it felt narrower than R1, better ergos for me. My tuner said with race harness/ecu, superstock engine, GSXR makes 190-195HP to the wheel, most linear power of all liter bikes, weighs 370lbs in race trim without fuel. All of the racers I talked to in expert think it's a well balanced bike.

Only factory teams (Attacks in US) that know how to tune the 2020 R1, even if you put race harness/ecu on 2020 R1, no shop would really know how to dial it in. Because no one has the data, only race teams do.
I think Chuck Graves (Graves Motorsports) still races R1’s

·
Registered
101 Posts
No they race Kawi now. I don't know that I agree with the comment about getting the 2020 R1 dialed in. It's a new bike so of course "Data" is going be limited. But it would be the same for any new bike. So if Suzuki had updated the GSXR it would be the same "issue" But any competent shop should be able to get a general baseline setting. The R1 is a fairly common bike that is raced a lot so setup really wouldn't be an issue. Tuning the motor well again being new that would take some work but still it's not anything that wouldn't have to be done to any new bike model.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I’ve got my fingers crossed, I hope Ftecu can deliver next month. That’s a rumor I’m hearing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well this sucks.... I guess I should of read this post before putting a full Akra system on mine then.... Just rang my local bike mechanic for a remap and they informed me it wasn't possible yet with the stock ECU...

What are my options?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts