Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is a screenshot of the Seton Facebook page, but there's more on there.
But how it's done, there's not much, but they are still testing it on on their racebikes.
Like Phil says till there's a solution to 2020, this is an option

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is a screenshot of the Seton Facebook page, but there's more on there.
But how it's done, there's not much, but they are still testing it on on their racebikes.
Like Phil says till there's a solution to 2020, this is an option
So yes, 2019 electronics package means pre 2020 ECU\harness\dash\throttle, using a 2020 engine. Chassis is the same, except for a bit longer swingarm. Also the stack differ from what I'm told.
If you are building a bike or need a new engine for example, this is the combo to go for of course. You can even get the older kit harness to run on those ECUs, they are quite flexible. All electronics need to be 15-17 or 18-19

·
Registered
331 Posts
So yes, 2019 electronics package means pre 2020 ECU\harness\dash\throttle, using a 2020 engine. Chassis is the same, except for a bit longer swingarm. Also the stack differ from what I'm told.
If you are building a bike or need a new engine for example, this is the combo to go for of course. You can even get the older kit harness to run on those ECUs, they are quite flexible. All electronics need to be 15-17 or 18-19
Hi ramocs, you seem to have a better grarp of what's gone on there, as they have done it using 15 ,16,17,18" and 19 Ecus
He's a clever man, my 15 cuts out one cylinder at a time on the on lif control, instead of all 4 as in oem. Some thing that would have come in handy at Portimao which was cancelled at the start of this month, I got a thumb brake fitted now which will be of some use in some parts of that track.
All the electronics have been changed slide, launch and the TC, which can go 40% below TC1, so for ex TC5 is what was originally TC1, then TC4 is 10% less TC and so on. The throttle to me on track was snatchy at best in mode A and Pwr 1, so I started to Pwr 2 which was much better tbh, but still some times it would not give me the throttle I wanted it coming out of corners.
I have now four full power maps now with varying engine braking.
I get access to it on the 17th of next month because of lock down over here and it sounds different too, i look forward to trying it out .
I don't know if I would go for another R1, there's other bikes that need less doing and are more adaptable for track, with race abs or type you can turn off, suspension and the fueling.
I love my R1, but it ain't oem and I will keep it, I love the engine, the way it comes out of corners, but there's more choice now than when it was built in 2015. And £23k the for that R1M now. I would want something a bit better than that fit that sort of money, but it is personal choice.
It needs an upgrade, and with an ecu that you can flash, but I think that is going to get harder I reckon, probably go Italian again.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
There is an ecu for a 15 bike with with a rider's aid package and a gen 6 flash, that is the Gen before the latest like mine which is a gen 7 on Facebook £500. That a bargain really, but you have problem of integrating into a latest bike. Like you say about using the older electronics. Tbh it would be good for an earlier bike at that price, but really for a trackbike as you won't have the less power modes as oem. But a bargain all the same

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is an ecu for a 15 bike with with a rider's aid package and a gen 6 flash, that is the Gen before the latest like mine which is a gen 7 on Facebook £500. That a bargain really, but you have problem of integrating into a latest bike. Like you say about using the older electronics. Tbh it would be good for an earlier bike at that price, but really for a trackbike as you won't have the less power modes as oem. But a bargain all the same

Someone with a 15-17 would be happy with that ECU for sure.

I'm happy with mine as is. We've got 2016 stock ECU that runs a kit harness, which can also run an autoblip making it direct plug and play. That wasn't available from the factory till the 2018 bike.

Anyone currently looking to swap all the electronics on a new bikevjust to have a flashed ECU for the street, should probably wait. As the info out there seems to suggest that next year's bike will have a new stronger engine, and likely updated electronics. They may want to trade in for the newer bike instead of going through the huge expense of going backwards to an older electronics package.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a 15, but the revs are oem, the brakes, suspension made a noticeable difference. The I used to worry about the crank, but I maintain it well so I don't worry too much. As long as the throttle is sorted I will happy

·
Registered
331 Posts
ramocs do you think it will be big revamp of the bike?
The reverse crank that they were the first to use in GP.
There were talks of an seamless gearbox, how they would make that for the street. Plus more close ratios would be better.
I feel the cross plane engine is a great base for them to give the bike a massive revamp, some sort VVT, plus like you say the electronics, now other manufacturers have caught them up with slide control. I really don't know because of the epidemic, but 2022 bike needs to be up to the Italian and German competition.
Also I wonder why Japan won't go 1100cc and I do understand racing restrictions. But BMW has showed 1000cc can be made to be a match for the Italian 1100cc.
Do you think that they need a bigger revamp than just the electronics? Also these memory stick looking things that Ducati sell for their bike if you want to buy an aftermarket exhaust and take it on track.
My friend who told to buy an R1, a decision that I would never regret although it is far from the oem bike that bought. He's picks up his new Ducati SP, and I understand you can't compare that and the M model as the price is £9k difference, but the electronics and all the info it can hold in the dash, plus it has some really special things. We are taking it to Almeria later on this year, he said I could have a go on it. But on track I don't think i could afford a repair bill for that 😬so I will be declining that offer, but on the street I wouldn't mind, especially them carbon wheels, I nearly bought some CA5 and Dymags for mine but some OZ mag came up with the quick release kit so I abandoned the carbon ones.
But it would be nice to see how all the tech feels like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the roaring 90's in the Honda VTEC/RX7/R34 tuning world, there where aftermarket companies who produced their own standalone Ecu (Apexi (Japan) & now Link ECU. No IMU/SCU though.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
In the roaring 90's in the Honda VTEC/RX7/R34 tuning world, there where aftermarket companies who produced their own standalone Ecu (Apexi (Japan) & now Link ECU. No IMU/SCU though.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Hi ak69, interesting info, it is amazing the acceleration of the Tech lately, and that Duc has virtually got some sort a linked thumb brake, not physically but integrated into its system, even takes up the chain slack as it accelerates coming out of corner, tbh i don't understand it, but some amazing things coming out. Should be interesting out with that bike and me chasing it on my R1, or trying to, the R1 was hard to beat on corner exit, but that bike has much later tech and you can adjust settings on the fly.
The Suzuki, BMW and Honda have variable valve timing, their own version of it, I would not be surprised if Yamaha brings something or a magor revamp soon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Lads,
There is no point installing 2019 electronics onto 2020 model as Electronics been changed in 2020 around the engine braking and the way how the throttle bodies are controlled.
At the moment I know the only way to flash 2020+ ECU to use dimsport platform, the license is very expensive itself around 500 USD or something like that, also the only place who is flashing who I know is Justin my good friend, in Elche Spain, his workshop Motomecanica.
Yamaha have officially released unlocking for the ECU , which is meaning the 3rd party vendors will be able to start flash them, like FTEcu and Woolwhich Racing. These are still not available from them as I believe they are working on the software updates and protocols updates to allow 2020 models to be flashable.
Installing 2019 electronics by Phil could be a great solution for those who can't wait and want to reuse the 2020 machine potential is great, however I would personally rely on 2020 electronics designed for the 2020 engine as Yamaha has done couple of changes around the cylinder head and fuel injection from throttle bodies and airbox. The only option is to either use dimsport platform but the flash will cost around 800-1000 Euros, or simply sit and wait.

·
It's here !!!
186 Posts
Where did you hear that Yamaha were releasing something that will 'unlock the ECU' that will then enable access and writing of the ECU? I'm interested as I have not seen anything posted anywhere regarding this.

·
my genius knows no bounds
517 Posts
they already did, for the EU bikes. not for here. just yet another newly registered user who, heyyyy, is hyping his buddys shop, how bout that =]

·
Registered
3 Posts
they already did, for the EU bikes. not for here. just yet another newly registered user who, heyyyy, is hyping his buddys shop, how bout that =]
Who they? I am not hyping my friend, Garry littlewood is doing the same in the UK.

Sent from my M2011K2C using Tapatalk

61 - 74 of 74 Posts