Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2020 R1 back up with a new radiator and I must say the front brake/ABS system is an awful mess. There is ZERO BITE, you can feel the ABS activate early and pulse the lever and then with a lot of pressure hit almost max braking after 30-35mph of speed drop (from 70-80mph speeds). I demand that Yamaha issue a recall. I think the good news is, some EBC HH pad's should cover-up the issue as my prior experience with them is that they require about half the brake lever pressure, they will probably bite in the ABS pump's failing moments. This is severely making me question Yamaha, I should had tried to see if I could get my belly to fit over a S1000RR tank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why's everyone so salty today? Stock brakes are old news. I knew this and don't even own the latest generation. Just put new pads on. The stock pads aren't defective, just underwhelming. By no means ground for any sort of recall.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seriously like the bike and the crossplane but the brakes are scary. I think I can buy the EBC efpa hh pads this month if not next month for sure.

·
Venom X/O
23,290 Posts
I didn’t have any complaints, I was able to get within 1 second of my personal best at my local track on the mostly stock (had exhaust)15 R1 vs my previous well equipped ‘09. Sure the brakes didn’t bite as hard but they were still pretty good. They did fade after you really put some work in them, but it was manageable.
I can’t wait to test my new setup with new pads, new MC, new lines, and a fresh fluid flush.
My complaint is this rear shock, it’s about worthless by lunch, and couldn’t compress two pieces of soft bread together after some aggressive riding. Other than that, the bike is amazing to ride on the edge

·
I miss my R1
3,046 Posts
I could just be a sucker for a fancy name, but the Brembo brakes that came on my S1000R and my Multistrada are light years above the OEM brakes on my 07 R1, even with all of the ABS interference.
Again, could just be mental from seeing the word brembo written on the calipers...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I could just be a sucker for a fancy name, but the Brembo brakes that came on my S1000R and my Multistrada are light years above the OEM brakes on my 07 R1, even with all of the ABS interference.
Again, could just be mental from seeing the word brembo written on the calipers...
no not a sucker. After getting off of a Duc or anything with Brembo, everything else is second .

·
Unacceptable
1,235 Posts
Vesrah RJL & good fluid (I prefer Motul RBF 600) will take care of the majority of brake issues, even with the stock front MC.

But, yeah, like the others said...wooden brakes on this bike are old news.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,145 Posts
and here i thought every rider in
'stock' class was perfectly happy with the 'wooden blocks'.. :D

i love these threads..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a set of EBC EPFA380HH pads, $158 shipped. But there defiantly seems to be a bug, Yamaha called a "tweak" in the 2020 ABS firmware that activates early to prevent excessive initial braking force, I think I read something about this somewhere in one of the preview articles. I hope FTECU figures out how to flash this out.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,145 Posts
^^ i'm gonna stay out of this, but you would have been better off with Versah's

EBC pads are ok at 1st but before long they'll fade like mad, specially if riding at a brisk pace.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's what is wrong with the 2020 brakes. The ABS prematurely activates into its feathering mode, as if it were guessing the traction limits in the rain to activate a limiter before the sensors pick up any slippage. The solution to ride around it is to grab the brake in a slower motion and not pull the lever full force, if you do pull it full force it will activate the feathering system before rear wheel hop would have had happened. It is tuned to guess traction limits in the rain, its horrible. The only way the pads could fix the problem is if the ABS feathering system is activated by lever pressure/system PSI and not actual braking force, which would require either a gyro or wheel speed sensor. If I had to guess its by pressure/psi. Yamaha should easily be able to come out with a recall firmware update for the issue. Personally, I don't mind stock pads normally, even if they require more lever pull, even though these pads are about the same as my old 2000 R1. Yamaha brake pads didn't get good until when I noticed the 2003 R6 pads were awesome, as were 06 R6 and 07 R1 pads were not great nor bad and otherwise OK but just required a little more pressure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone with a 2020 model who has complaints about the front brakes and the ABS activating early, please call
Motorsports Customer Relations - (800) 962-7926 with your vin # and make a formal complaint, with enough complaints I assume Yamaha should do a dealer performed firmware flash update recall on the 2020 bikes to eliminate the problem. For me the issue is, grabbing a handful of brake prematurely activates the ABS system.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice wish OP. You expect Yamaha to do that when they wouldn't even offer a recall on models that suffered from faulty generator assemblies for years? Those literally puked magnets inside the oil pan. Instead of a recall, they redesigned the faulty part. That was all.

If they choose to change this, they'll silently do something for next year and it'll be done. In all honesty, it's probably intended for the safety of the every day rider.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed my EPFA380HH pads today and put about 50 miles on my bike with the new pads. I'm not sure if they need more bed-in time, but the result is that my stopping distances did improve by probably 20%, the algorithms on the 2020 ABS system is MESSED UP. Basically a smooth progressive brake that does not exceed about 75-80% of braking force wont activate the ABS, but anything track like or emergency stopping activates the ABS feathering system, which actually is so messed up it makes the front tire squeal when it regrips the pads which defeats the entire purpose of ABS. There appears to be no way to just grab a handfull of brake from the start, like as if you were triyng to outbrake someone into a corner on a track, the ABS just goes straight into feather mode. I'm surprised the bike passed DOT inspections with this. It makes me wonder if Yamaha rides their own product. Basically I think what happened is one of their engineers was taught a college class that gave some formula type example of some kind of dynamics of chassis upsets and they tried to apply it to high traction ABS motorcycle systems and it didn't work because modern tires on sportbikes get unlimited traction on clean pavement and they wrote the ABS so it keeps trying to predict traction loss before it happens. It makes sense they messed with it, because the Yamaha manual states BC2 does this taking into account lean angle, but this isn't at 45 degrees of lean angle (a R1 with good tires can probably take full non-ABS brake to roughly 35-40 degrees of lean), it is with the bike stood up. I am riding in BC1 so it does not take into account lean angle to guess my traction limit. Basically they gave the 2020 ABS brakes a drunken mushroom trip.

The ABS doesn't seem to be gyro activated but rather decel rate activated with the initial bite having the weakest part of the curve, but still too much brake force midway through the stop will also trigger the ABS feathering system.

I am sure Yamaha will issue a firmware flash recall, or ECU recall when the print magazines publish this in the spring, hopefully they are already working on a fix. Basically I give the braking system a "F" grade and with the new pads a "F" on steroids. This is going to be impossible for Yamaha to not fix. I love how the bike handles, I love how it makes good power under 13k.

I have 1100mi on the bike now. Basically it handles better than any bike I have ever ridden so I'm real happy about that and having some idea of what is wrong with the ABS I have confidence Yamaha will issue an recall/firmware update to fix it. Other than that, it needs a FTECU flash to get rid of the throttle shutting down to 83% at 13k.

·
Venom X/O
23,290 Posts
Either there’s something wrong with your bike, or maybe you. The brakes aren’t that bad, it’s impossible. You may have a factory defective part or something, because guys win races with the 2020 bikes on stock brakes, and they are fast!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts