Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought a new bike 5 days ago which I’m still breaking in riding it in Mode B and keeping the rpms below 7000. The first day of riding the bike starts to reach temperatures of 240F and feels very hot. So I took it back to the dealership and they did a quick inspection and test ride and told me it’s fine and those temperatures are normal for this bike.
The next day I rode the bike during the day when it’s hotter and while it still ran hot it didn’t overheat. Then at night I pulled up to a gas station after light riding and the bike is showing the three lights one of which is the overheating light. Also the C. Temp is blinking at 244F. I kill the engine like the user manual says, which stops the fan too. It takes a long time for the bike to cool again. I take it back to the dealership the next day and a how them the video of the bike overheating. They kept it overnight and said they can’t replicate the situation and the bike is fine.

I had a 2016 r1 and the fan kept working even after I turned off the bike not in this 2020. Is this normal for a brand new bike to act this way.
Can someone help me out? I even contacted Yamaha motor sports customer support on their phone line and they said they have documented it but only the dealership has the authority to decide if their is something wrong with the bike.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Sad New R1

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,155 Posts
I call air in the cooling system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I bought a new bike 5 days ago which I’m still breaking in riding it in Mode B and keeping the rpms below 7000. The first day of riding the bike starts to reach temperatures of 240F and feels very hot. So I took it back to the dealership and they did a quick inspection and test ride and told me it’s fine and those temperatures are normal for this bike.
The next day I rode the bike during the day when it’s hotter and while it still ran hot it didn’t overheat. Then at night I pulled up to a gas station after light riding and the bike is showing the three lights one of which is the overheating light. Also the C. Temp is blinking at 244F. I kill the engine like the user manual says, which stops the fan too. It takes a long time for the bike to cool again. I take it back to the dealership the next day and a how them the video of the bike overheating. They kept it overnight and said they can’t replicate the situation and the bike is fine.

I had a 2016 r1 and the fan kept working even after I turned off the bike not in this 2020. Is this normal for a brand new bike to act this way.
Can someone help me out? I even contacted Yamaha motor sports customer support on their phone line and they said they have documented it but only the dealership has the authority to decide if their is something wrong with the bike.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Sad New R1
I don’t want to sound like a hooligan because I’m not. But I had a few brand new ones. When breaking them in. Ride it like an R1. I’ve done it with a few. And they run like a dream. Riding them slow annoys them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
what kind of riding are you doing? are you getting those high temps while on the hwy? If you are city riding, the bike tends to get really hot when I first broke in my bike. Once I took it to the hwy, it ran very cool and continues to run very cool. I'm in the middle of my break in period. I try to not ride red light to red light on a hot day until the bike gets broken in a bit more. I rev mine hard up to 7K, on/off throttle. Don't be coasting at 7K, the bike needs the variance in RPM during break in...at least that's what I've read and been told.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Arizona while the current temperature is still above 100F and I feel you! Also doing the engine break in right now and it still feels like hot as HELL even riding in freeway!

·
Registered
53 Posts
You didn’t mention in your post if you saw these temps while the engine was running or not. I’m assuming it was directly after the engine being killed...it’s normal.

This exact scenario happened to me when I first got my new 2018. After a short ride in the first 50 miles, I saw the temp 244 blinking. Scared the crap out of me.

I ended up checking the radiator coolant level and purged the system of any air. And ended up taking it to the dealer and they couldn’t reproduce the high temp as well.

New engines always run hotter and the temp will
always increase directly after killing the engine.

BTW, you commented on my overheating post. You have nothing to worry about.

Cheer up:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts