Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 R1 is at the dealer now but they are closed :-/ I have a question about the 2015+ generation R1's and EBM. I know the 2020 has an extra EBM setting, but generally, do most people that ride wheelies turn off EBM and does anyone wheelie with EBM and what is that like?

·
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90
88 Posts
I can't speak for the 2020, but on the 2015, I assume you mean lift control which works fairly well. I did turn it off to play around a bit, but to be honest with the character of the motor it can be harder to modulate on the track and still get the maximum out of the bike. I generally let the lift control (on the least intrusive setting) do its thing, although you end up putting a lot of trust in it. It does work, but when you are wheeling at redline in 6th @ WOT it takes some faith.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the 2015+ models had EBM, but I was corrected, it is only on the 2020 model. I mean on the 2020 model. I'm not even going to try to do wheelies with EBM on mine, because I have been off the bike for 11 years, but I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I can't speak for the 2020, but on the 2015, I assume you mean lift control which works fairly well. I did turn it off to play around a bit, but to be honest with the character of the motor it can be harder to modulate on the track and still get the maximum out of the bike. I generally let the lift control (on the least intrusive setting) do its thing, although you end up putting a lot of trust in it. It does work, but when you are wheeling at redline in 6th @ WOT it takes some faith.
no he means engine brake management (EBM). its a new system put onto the 2020 that changes the throttle opening at different rpm and conditions (basically what we have been doing with flash tune for years) but yamaha finally got around to it. it won't be long before people with 2020 are disabling it for a more consistent setting.

to answer your question op you can do it with it on or off. if you use the rear brake when riding a wheelie then keep the setting so it will have less engine braking and if youre a throttle one guy then have it give you more braking so you don't loop it. if you find it giving you an inconsistent feel then turn it off. play with it and find what works for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never used the rear brake doing a wheelie, and I have probably ridden 200 miles on one wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts