Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Running like a dream 😂😂 you for sure haven't owned many bikes in your life?

Just wait my train driver is doing the race ecu with my r1 with my oem wiring , i can already tell you that mine is going to make 30-40hp more than your over 11k rpm and is not going to blow up like yours will..
I'm with you on the tune with a full pipe and high flow air filter. My bike will be on the track once in a while, I don't want it burping and chugging while I'm mid turn in one of the long sweepers, and high rpm is much different than street riding. As for the race ECU working with the stock harness.... I don't have this answer, BUT are the ECU pinouts even the same? If it is at least the same connector I would imagine some pin swapping? I would think there are less wires, but again I don't know about this, for example, I would think it eliminates the ABS module control, so there would be less pins... again, not sure about that. . But on the same note, I do feel that you could street ride the race setup, so I would not rule it out as an option, but for me that is out of the budget.
Either way, options are good to have!
my .02¢

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm with you on the tune with a full pipe and high flow air filter. My bike will be on the track once in a while, I don't want it burping and chugging while I'm mid turn in one of the long sweepers, and high rpm is much different than street riding. As for the race ECU working with the stock harness.... I don't have this answer, BUT are the ECU pinouts even the same? If it is at least the same connector I would imagine some pin swapping? I would think there are less wires, but again I don't know about this, for example, I would think it eliminates the ABS module control, so there would be less pins... again, not sure about that. . But on the same note, I do feel that you could street ride the race setup, so I would not rule it out as an option, but for me that is out of the budget.
Either way, options are good to have!
my .02¢

Yes it can be done with oem harness, if I understood correctly have change the pins on the ecu connector and just buy the race ecu.

The problem is the signals, but as I said Justin Wells (mechanic) said that he can do it so I sure as hell trust him 100%.

He has many clients at the shop who drives there r1 2020> on track with straight pipe and oem ecu etc.. he said they are ok at high rpm, but transitions etc are shit.

Then again for street setup, I have eu model and even if I just open the exup on oem exhaust the bike runs like shit at low rpm and launching the bike is shit. So I don't even want to know how shit the bike is with full exhaust under 6000rpm.. I have seen the dyno sheets on straight pipe r1 2020 no tune, afr is at ~16 in acouple of spots under 6500rpm.. not good.

Hopefully this guy with his two bro has not disconnected the two oem afr meters.. there is a handful of guys who's r1 2020 with the graves full exhaust who's engines already said quits..

Let's see what happens, i will for sure tell you guys how it went.. good or bad!

·
Registered
2020 yzfr1 Raven
15 Posts
Running like a dream 😂😂 you for sure haven't owned many bikes in your life?

Just wait my train driver is doing the race ecu with my r1 with my oem wiring , i can already tell you that mine is going to make 30-40hp more than your over 11k rpm and is not going to blow up like yours will..

Take it easy, don't get all touchy cuz its 2021, now obviously the train driver line was a joke meant to lighten whoever's day up. Everybody could use a little humor especially during this shit storm America is being forced through. That is far as I wanna go on that. I am a little upset about you saying my bike is going to blow up. But I will put my anger aside because I can tell you were triggered cuz I said your mechanico pal drove trains...... BTW nothing wrong with driving trains if he actually is. Also you nailed it first bike ever..... fo sho. Which might be one more than you, you can't even upload an avatar of somebody else bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take it easy, don't get all touchy cuz its 2021, now obviously the train driver line was a joke meant to lighten whoever's day up. Everybody could use a little humor especially during this shit storm America is being forced through. That is far as I wanna go on that. I am a little upset about you saying my bike is going to blow up. But I will put my anger aside because I can tell you were triggered cuz I said your mechanico pal drove trains...... BTW nothing wrong with driving trains if he actually is. Also you nailed it first bike ever..... fo sho. Which might be one more than you, you can't even upload an avatar of somebody else bike?

Hah don't start 😂😂 Ok man I'll take you with a pinch of salt and you are right, this world is too fucked at the moment and humor helps. But just to be helpful and all joking aside, have you still got your oem o2 sensors connected to the new pipe? And the bike is running really lean, it's ok at correcting 7000rpm-> the dyno sheets afr i we seen has been pretty good past that.

Ps. Not triggered been driving since I was a 13, iam 37 now so owned 1 or 2 bikes ;) i sank so low that I added a avatar, iam becoming a internet🤓

·
Registered
2020 yzfr1 Raven
15 Posts
Yep I connected both of the o2 sensors to the new pipe, actually I had to disconnect them from the harness, screw them in then reconnect, other wise they might not be working. Honestly no signs of any leanness, I even pulled the pluggers at 6000 miles and they look like they have been operating normally no white crusties or no damage just almost brand new looking plugs. Lemme see if I have pictures of them I can post I know I took a couple. If not today I will post tomorrow. I was a little worried about the pipe no flash deal but it was a ridiculous thing to worry about. Wait I will post the pics of my plugs if you post a pick of your bike and make it your avatar. Can't go wrong posting pics of your whip on these forums! Lastly I am at apprx a mile in elevation.

·
Registered
2020 yzfr1 Raven
15 Posts
Hah don't start 😂😂 Ok man I'll take you with a pinch of salt and you are right, this world is too fucked at the moment and humor helps. But just to be helpful and all joking aside, have you still got your oem o2 sensors connected to the new pipe? And the bike is running really lean, it's ok at correcting 7000rpm-> the dyno sheets afr i we seen has been pretty good past that.

Ps. Not triggered been driving since I was a 13, iam 37 now so owned 1 or 2 bikes ;) i sank so low that I added a avatar, iam becoming a internet🤓
Nice I like the avatar!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don’t want to get anyone upset in here LOL but I have been running a decat pipe myself and it has been running fine. I even have a friend with an older tuned r1(2018) and the temps etc are the same.

Weirdly my bike ran even better and smoother with less popping AFTER installing sprint filter. Can’t explain that one.

I also know a guy who had a 2020 r1m with stock cats and he told me his bike got over 240 degrees while idling stopped. So go figure.

I personally think my bike ran a little bit cooler after removing the cats. Yes I still have the stock o2 sensors.

Yes a tune can definitely get more power out of the engine. Not arguing that

BTW I don’t run the bike in mode A. I did notice more popping while in mode A. I run B and C or any other mode but I make sure the power is on max, number 1

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't understand the controversy here. Have any of you guys/gals that say your bike runs fine/better without a cat and no tune put your bike on a dyno and gotten a reading? Not to offend but all I hear is bro science. Every dyno run I've seen has shown the bike runs lean (mine did as well). and that's not just the 2020 R1. So that shouldn't be a question. The question is the effect of a bike running lean. And that is going to be debateable and results are going to vary. My 05 R1 is going on 15years and 18K track miles with a link pipe and no tune. And I've never had an issue with it, so go figure.

But here again I don't understand the issue. You spend $20K on a bike and then another $1K on a pipe and then wince about another $300 -$500 to try ensure the bike runs properly? Trust me I'm so so not rich. Not even close. An insider friend warned me about the 2020 R1 in particular so unlike my 05 I didn't think it was worth the risk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That’s for the akra decat pipe. Of course ALL bikes run lean from the factory to conserve fuel. Whether or not you leave the cats in or not. I do not believe decatting without a tune “hurts” the bike. I’ve done it many times with many bikes with and without tune. Actually sometimes I’d go back to the factory tune because it ran better!
The main point of the tune is to richen the fuel mixture to get more power from the engine but if the manufacturers are selling the bikes setup lean then I’m sure it’s safe. Too rich is no good also

YES performance is better with tune

·
Registered
59 Posts
also I don’t think anyone in here DOESNT want to spend the money on a tune it’s just that it ISNT available for the 2020 and 2021 r1. I’m sure most of us in here would pay much more in a heartbeat to have a flash available

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can anyone in here EXPLAIN the science as to why removing the cats would make a bike run any LEANER ? Seriously we need some clarity on the issue. Thanks

it seems to me the bike would run richer without cats since the o2 sensors are exposed to more airflow etc ...the computer would go the other way and richen the mixture yes or no ?

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Can anyone in here EXPLAIN the science as to why removing the cats would make a bike run any LEANER ? Seriously we need some clarity on the issue. Thanks

it seems to me the bike would run richer without cats since the o2 sensors are exposed to more airflow etc ...the computer would go the other way and richen the mixture yes or no ?
@Tad158

·
Registered
306 Posts

Because a catalytic converter is a restrictor by its design? And because air has an easier time moving through a link pipe than a honeycomb of platinum screens? So since a motor is basically a vapor pump it moves more air, but since the fuel is metered by an ecu that controls injectors you can't just rejet to move more fuel so you have to reflash or it runs lean?

I mean, I'm just saying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah see that’s sort of my point we are all just guessing including myself but I have yet to see any facts from a reputable source. I would also venture to say that everything that happens BEFORE the o2 sensors is what makes the bike run rich or lean.
Like I said my bike def runs better and cooler after removing the cats. Idles beautifully too

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah see that’s sort of my point we are all just guessing including myself but I have yet to see any facts from a reputable source. I would also venture to say that everything that happens BEFORE the o2 sensors is what makes the bike run rich or lean.
Like I said my bike def runs better and cooler after removing the cats. Idles beautifully too
I'm not guessing bud. Have you ever seen the diagram of the stock fuel map in the service manual? It looks like a pyramid. The lower the rpm's the lower the duty cycle on the injectors. The stock flash has some wiggle room to accommodate elevation changes etc. It doesn't have enough room to accommodate removing the cat because that's a lot of restriction you just removed. Maybe they've changed things and it's 'ok' because they let the ecu make bigger changes, but I doubt it.

Question, does your bike pop on decell? Moving more air would lower temps, no contest. The idle could be very stable, even slightly lean. What is your a/f ratio now? I mean, you could put it on a dyno and check, but you already dispute those results.

·
Registered
280 Posts

The way I understand the way engine control unit/modules (ECU / ECM) work;
The O2 sensors are narrow band, so they are limited in range to O2 sensing.
The O2 sensors maintain the air fuel ratios within the factory map. aka Closed Loop (typically up to 60% throttle).
Outside of closed loop (beyond the narrow band O2 sensors range) the O2 sensors are not sensing the O2 levels in the exhaust and sending the O2 readings to the ECU (open loop >60% throttle).
At this area of the factory map is where you may experience a leaner condition with a aftermarket exhaust.
The O2 sensors are placed “downstream” of the cats.
Removing the cats unrestricts the exhaust flow.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
@1202067 My bike pops very little on decel. Even my tuned Zx10r popped on decel. Actually when I decatted my Zx10r it idled like shit with and without a tune because that bike needs more back pressure to idle smoothly. So for example a db killer or a bigger can with more packing would make it idle much better

Ok I thought you were guessing because of all the question marks. I have not seen any of the factory diagrams etc.

I’m not contesting anything just trying to get some answers. I know that the bike are setup lean from the factory for fuel and emissions purposes.

281 - 300 of 322 Posts