Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
The GYTR ECU is an option, but its an expensive option. Most of these guys don't want to be on the hook for that. And you have to get it all tuned for your setup. Its not cheap.

Moreover, if you want it for the street, you will have to have the harness modified for lights and such. Regardless, you will lose the ABS functionality.

Most racers here are only tracking their bikes as a hobby. To lose so much on a ECU and tune is a tough pill to swallow.

I will just wait for the unlock. I can wait.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Call me crazy but....

What are the chances you simply wont be able to reflash a 2020-2021 ECU?

Its been what....close to 2 years? And no flash available.

If you knew you wouldnt be able to flash/tune the bike...Would you still have bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Call me crazy but....

If you knew you wouldnt be able to flash/tune the bike...Would you still have bought it?

Was thinking the same thing ....I don’t know if I would have bought one. But I do like the bike more in many ways, than my zx10s. But no flash is a biggie. There lies the irony

·
Registered
133 Posts
The GYTR ECU is an option, but its an expensive option. Most of these guys don't want to be on the hook for that. And you have to get it all tuned for your setup. Its not cheap.

Moreover, if you want it for the street, you will have to have the harness modified for lights and such. Regardless, you will lose the ABS functionality.

Most racers here are only tracking their bikes as a hobby. To lose so much on a ECU and tune is a tough pill to swallow.

I will just wait for the unlock. I can wait.

The kit isn't intended for street use but wouldn't take much effort to make it so. I wouldn't factor in a tune as an issue because you'd be in the same boat with any other option ,flash included, as well. You either buy a map or have one created, so that's a wash. The other items

1. Yes ABS is removed. I'm not a fan of ABS so I removed that even before I got the kit
  2. Lights - your statement is incorrect. the harness doesn't need to be modified to work with lights. There is an optional light harness available that works with the OEM lights But do you lose your signal lights,
  3. Installation - this one is tricky. I had issues getting someone to install it. Ended up doing it myself and it wasn't to bad at all
  4. Fans - you lose fans and would have to have some sort of manual switch for those
  5. Ignition - This is the big one the kit eliminates the ignition module so you'd have to mod that or get a replacement

Call me crazy but....

The answer for me is simple. Yes. Just would have gone about things differently and gotten a slip-on and left the cat alone. The biggest thing for me was being able to get rid of ABS which you can.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Call me crazy but....

I’m convinced with the new Euro 5 standards being required, that this will be the norm for the future. However, I’m able to flash my ‘21 BMW S1000RR (Euro 5 compliant)
Idon’t regret buying my 2020 R1 because I never planned to track it.
It’s more than enough for street use with the factory map.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’m convinced with the new Euro 5 standards being required, that this will be the norm for the future. However, I’m able to flash my ‘21 BMW S1000RR (Euro 5 compliant)
Idon’t regret buying my 2020 R1 because I never planned to track it.
It’s more than enough for street use with the factory map.
are you running the cats ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call me crazy but....

I probably would have bought a 2019 if I knew there wasn't going to be a flash available by now. I came from an r3 lol, so the power certainly is not the issue. But, in my opinion, the bike's sound doesn't wow me at all. And a slip on probably wouldn't do too much for it since it seems the CAT is what dampers it so much. But oh well, other than the sound, it is still a hella fun bike to ride!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I probably would have bought a 2019 if I knew there wasn't going to be a flash available by now. I came from an r3 lol, so the power certainly is not the issue. But, in my opinion, the bike's sound doesn't wow me at all. And a slip on probably wouldn't do too much for it since it seems the CAT is what dampers it so much. But oh well, other than the sound, it is still a hella fun bike to ride!
DO NOT waste your money on a slip on and leave the cat. I removed the cables from the exhaust side, tied them off, left the servo plugged in, then I wired open that valve on the stock pipe... that would be pretty much the same sound you are going to get from a slip on. Try that first if you want to make sure the engine is actually running LOL 😂 Its FREE to try. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ve personally heard a ‘20 with a SC Project slipon and it sounds awesome. I have a ‘19 that I installed the Graves Moto GP slipon and it sounded great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If these tuners were convinced that an unlock was not possible, I think they would have given up by now. Its possible that we will never see an unlock option, but I still have hope. I would have purchased my bike regardless.

The kit isn't intended for street use but wouldn't take much effort to make it so. I wouldn't factor in a tune as an issue because you'd be in the same boat with any other option ,flash included, as well. You either buy a map or have one created, so that's a wash. The other items

1. Yes ABS is removed. I'm not a fan of ABS so I removed that even before I got the kit
  2. Lights - your statement is incorrect. the harness doesn't need to be modified to work with lights. There is an optional light harness available that works with the OEM lights But do you lose your signal lights,
  3. Installation - this one is tricky. I had issues getting someone to install it. Ended up doing it myself and it wasn't to bad at all
  4. Fans - you lose fans and would have to have some sort of manual switch for those
  5. Ignition - This is the big one the kit eliminates the ignition module so you'd have to mod that or get a replacement

The answer for me is simple. Yes. Just would have gone about things differently and gotten a slip-on and left the cat alone. The biggest thing for me was being able to get rid of ABS which you can.
I was a Tech by trade. I think bikes are stupid simple to work on personally. And while yes you can buy the additional harness for the driving lights, you will still need to modify the harness for the turn signals, hence the pointing it out for street application. I was not aware of you losing fan control. Most vendors who unlock ECU's have base tunes that they can flash right away with without a tune and they are pretty good out of the box. I would not use this for a GYTR ECU. Its a missed opportunity.

Did you install this ECU to your bike?

·
Registered
430 Posts
They did:

·
Registered
2020 yamaha r1
6 Posts
Has anyone fitted bazzaz unit at all believe controls all 8 injectors can this be set up to improve fueling low to mid range

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was a Tech by trade. I think bikes are stupid simple to work on personally. And while yes you can buy the additional harness for the driving lights, you will still need to modify the harness for the turn signals, hence the pointing it out for street application. I was not aware of you losing fan control. Most vendors who unlock ECU's have base tunes that they can flash right away with without a tune and they are pretty good out of the box. I would not use this for a GYTR ECU. Its a missed opportunity.

So I'm not sure what the argument here is. Never said or recommended the kit ECU for street use which is why I pointed out the fan, ignition, etc..... My point was that you made it seem like a lot of extra $$$ on top of the cost of the kit and it's really not. The only actual feature you lose is ABS so there is no other loss of functionality with the electronics. For sure if the intent is for a street only bike it's not a route I'd go but hey I don't have the resources of some people, so lol. Like I said had I known back in Nov 2019 when I got mine there was going to be this much drama regarding a flash I would have just gotten a slip-on, removed the ABS and be done with it. Boredom, curiosity and stubbornness is really the only reason I ended up going with the kit especially since I knew I wouldn't be riding on the street with it

As for the tune I still stand by my comment. Yes vendors will generally have a map that works, but with all the talk of "fine tuning" it's basically the same thing. It wouldn't be hard to either find a map for the kit or get a tune.

Yes I have the kit ECU. and was able to get installed by myself without much mechanical experience. The biggest issues I had initially was space and information because the manual doesn't go into detail for some items. Now that it's done it's really not a big deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For sure it's not working better now than with cat. Or better yes after 6-7000rpm. But under that not so great, you just got used to it.
Just opening the exup with stock exhaust it launches shit and you feel how lean the bike is at low rpm.

It's nearly at 16 afr at some low rpms with de cat..
I see ...:well let me ask you this ...does the ecu “learn” and readjust with time ? Thanks

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,414 Posts
I’m curious how it is working without fans, and without a larger radiator.
I would assume like most bikes it will over heat in stop in go traffic road riding.

And start to over heat from pit to track or vice versa.

Just keep it moving.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
exactly. So now no more sitting on grid or in the pits with the motor running. That's really it. Temps have not been an issue when I've been on track and the bike was moving

321 - 340 of 377 Posts