Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Unacceptable
1,267 Posts
Spoke to someone in Europe and they said the 2020 can’t be flashed and that the kit ecu/harness is required to tune. So unless dynojet or bazzaz or the like make a module we are screwed. Right now pretty pissed (at myself for not following my own advice) and will probably ditch the R1M the first chance I get. It’s been nothing but a pain in the ass since I got it. And while it looks awesome it’s not worth the headache let alone the $$$. Back to back had more fun on my R6 anyway. Yes I’m very grumpy today
Get an MT-10. More fun than the R1 with less backache. Who cares how ugly it looks, haha.

·
Super Moderator
24,452 Posts
Spoke to someone in Europe and they said the 2020 can’t be flashed
Spoke to someone in Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, North America and South America and they all said the 2020 can be flashed. I wonder who is correct?!?!?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I spoke to Bazzaz and they should have a module for the 2020 real soon possibly as early as next week. I would prefer an ecu flash but at this point I'm just tired of waiting so if the Bazzaz is an option that's what I'll take.

As to the issues with flashing the 2020 I don't know why given the bike isn't all that different from the 19, unless it's some kind of compliance thing or Yamaha just decided to make it difficult for the heck of it.

It they are saying it can be flashed who has done it? FT Ecu has been working on it for a while and still haven't cracked it yet. Given their track record I think that says something about the 2020 ecu

·
Registered
2020 R1 Raven ediiton
15 Posts
Sounds so aggressive though. I can’t get enough. And the crackling/popping BETWEEN quick shifts up and down, beautiful.
View attachment 1012874 View attachment 1012875
Where did you get that half belly pan piece from? The first thing I noticed when you remove the cats is the huge empty space it leaves underneath the bike, but that part you bought restores the shape back to the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damn I wish I would’ve read this sooner. I got a full akra system installed on my 2020 r1m with 2200 miles on the bike, I’m now at 2700 miles. I’ve been riding pretty hard too. Am I damaging the bike? If so I guess I won’t be riding until I get the tune :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Damn I wish I would’ve read this sooner. I got a full akra system installed on my 2020 r1m with 2200 miles on the bike, I’m now at 2700 miles. I’ve been riding pretty hard too. Am I damaging the bike? If so I guess I won’t be riding until I get the tune :(
My tuner says it unlikely to have an issue as the bike will not run lean. It’s more likely to run rich and that’s why you get a lot of back firing. I am running mine without a tune and am not really worried about it. Tune would be the better way to do things but not really an option atm. I did however order a kit ecu and harness for the 2020 and it should be here next week. Then we will tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
My tuner says it unlikely to have an issue as the bike will not run lean. It’s more likely to run rich and that’s why you get a lot of back firing. I am running mine without a tune and am not really worried about it. Tune would be the better way to do things but not really an option atm. I did however order a kit ecu and harness for the 2020 and it should be here next week. Then we will tune it.

I’m a big newbie, how does that work? Is that the same as an ecu flash that everyone is saying isn’t out yet for the 2020s?

·
Registered
2020 R1 Raven ediiton
15 Posts
I’m a big newbie, how does that work? Is that the same as an ecu flash that everyone is saying isn’t out yet for the 2020s?
I believe you can purchase a Race ECU which replaces your current ECU and it is unlocked, however it is quite expensive compared to an ECU flash. I don't know what all it includes, if it would have all the same features as the stock ECU.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m fairly new to all as well but I have some good people guiding me in the right direction. The kit ecu will from what I understand unlock everything like how much throttle your asking for. Say you think your full gas the ecu may only give you 60%. You can also map the fuel on the kit ecu. Not 100% sure if all the lights and stuff work after a kit ecu and harness. For me it doesn’t matter as I bought it to race. For guys on the street a flash may be the way to go so you can keep the stock harness. I have done the smog block offs, thermostat bypass, bmc air filter and a 3/4 Hindle exhaust system. Rode on the street about 350km and took to the dyno today. Did a bunch of pulls and the best without a fuel map was 159hp at I think 14500 rpm. I’ll get the charts from today and show them tomorrow. Then I’ll swap out the stock stuff for the and see how it makes out after being unlocked. Should be about a week from now. Was very humid today too so lost a few bp I’m sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you intend to use the bike on the street then the race ecu is not the way to go. The ecu/harness removes all the items that make the bike street legal, so you have to be committed to track only or really love being a rebel!!! lol

As for the bike running "not" running lean....well a friend from Yamaha told me specifically that if I remove the cat from the 2020 R1 to get it TUNED as it runs very lean. He didn't go into details and I didn't ask. Could be because of the Euro4/5 stuff, but as he's never said anything like that to me before regarding any of the work I've done to my Yamaha's I'm going to err on the side of caution and take his advice to me it wouldn't be worth taking the chance. These bikes aren't cheap. If I keep mine I will either
1) get a mod to piggy back the OEM ecu so it can be tuned (not preferred)
2) put the cat back on and get a different exhaust
3) fully commet to tracking the bike and get kit ecu/harness
4) be patient and wait until someone can unlock and flash the OEM ecu so I can get it tuned

·
Registered
2020 R1 Raven ediiton
15 Posts
I’m fairly new to all as well but I have some good people guiding me in the right direction. The kit ecu will from what I understand unlock everything like how much throttle your asking for. Say you think your full gas the ecu may only give you 60%. You can also map the fuel on the kit ecu. Not 100% sure if all the lights and stuff work after a kit ecu and harness. For me it doesn’t matter as I bought it to race. For guys on the street a flash may be the way to go so you can keep the stock harness. I have done the smog block offs, thermostat bypass, bmc air filter and a 3/4 Hindle exhaust system. Rode on the street about 350km and took to the dyno today. Did a bunch of pulls and the best without a fuel map was 159hp at I think 14500 rpm. I’ll get the charts from today and show them tomorrow. Then I’ll swap out the stock stuff for the and see how it makes out after being unlocked. Should be about a week from now. Was very humid today too so lost a few bp I’m sure.

159 WhlHP? That seems a bit low. I know every dyno is going to vary but the stock setup should be a little more than that. With a 3/4 system you should see about 190 WhlHP with the biggest gains around 6k-7k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you intend to use the bike on the street then the race ecu is not the way to go. The ecu/harness removes all the items that make the bike street legal, so you have to be committed to track only or really love being a rebel!!! lol

As for the bike running "not" running lean....well a friend from Yamaha told me specifically that if I remove the cat from the 2020 R1 to get it TUNED as it runs very lean. He didn't go into details and I didn't ask. Could be because of the Euro4/5 stuff, but as he's never said anything like that to me before regarding any of the work I've done to my Yamaha's I'm going to err on the side of caution and take his advice to me it wouldn't be worth taking the chance. These bikes aren't cheap. If I keep mine I will either
1) get a mod to piggy back the OEM ecu so it can be tuned (not preferred)
2) put the cat back on and get a different exhaust
3) fully commet to tracking the bike and get kit ecu/harness
4) be patient and wait until someone can unlock and flash the OEM ecu so I can get it tuned
There will be a power commander shortly for tuning fuel.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Spoke with Superbike Unlimited yesterday (5/28/20) and Freddie said Neither they (nor anyone else) has been able to crack the 2020 ecu code yet, so at this time, still no flash available. Hope someone can get this figured out soon, I just bought a new blue 2020 R1 today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yup correct the wait continues for the flash. kit ecu/harness aside Bazzaz and Dynjet should have modules coming pretty soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but will a Yamaha dealer not do the tune with a new exhaust? My brother has a Harley and got all kinds of aftermarket parts put on (including cat remover) and they're installing it all and tuning it and the dealership. Does Yamaha not offer the same? I am also looking to put an exhaust on my bike, but don't want to do it yet until I know I can get it tuned.

·
Super Moderator
24,452 Posts
They can if the have a dyno and you buy a fuel management system like a Dynojet PC5 or a Bazzaz Zfi, but an ECU flash is 100% different and offers a lot more than a dyno tune. Here's the 18-19 R1 race flash from Superbike Unlimited... check out the features below.

www.superbikeunlimited.com/performance/ecu-tuning/2018-19-yamaha-yzf-r1-yzf-r1m-r1s-race-ecu-flash
Included features:
Remove all throttle based restrictions
Fully revised Power Modes
Remove all speed and gear based restrictions
Optimize ignition timing for 91+ octane pump fuel
Fully customized fuel mapping
Customized race throttle maps for Power Mode 1-4
Customized engine braking strategies
Ability to load Power Commander maps directly onto your ECU
Adjustable radiator fan temps for more efficient cooling
Adjustable rev limiter
Disable closed loop mode
Adjustable velocity stack opening point
Disabling the factory AIS (smog) system
Disabled EXUP & error recall
Disabled fuel injector cut
Disabled steering damper (removes code for aftermarket units)

41 - 60 of 106 Posts