Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

581 - 600 of 638 Posts

·
my genius knows no bounds
476 Posts
oh I don't disagree, I'm just saying certain things shouldn't be changed by default in the tune and the steering damper software is one of them. More options rather than fewer is better but some things should require the rider to proactively use them, such as things like the decel fuel cut.

On my friends 2020 which he's had since day one, rearsets helped a surprising amount, the stock shifter and that stupid rubber surround are clunky af. Mind you this is on tracks like chuckwalla and willow streets, as we're in SoCal so yeah, a little more twisty and a little lower speed, as far as tracks go. At tracks with higher possible speeds like VIR maybe it's different?

·
Registered
2020 yzfr1 Raven
22 Posts
Troy,

I have a question that hasn't been addressed yet.

Are you guys able to disable the AIS (block off plates delete the solenoid) and Servo(exhaust and/or steering damper) check engine light codes? Or is this strictly fixing the throttle and fueling? On the 2020 if you have a CEL you're locked out of changing the settings on the dash unlike the BMW.

Need to know if I should buy a "servo buddy" so I can change: TC, EBM, SCS, WC etc
or
wait a bit longer for the flash to disable all that fluff.

Oh yeah any idea what the 3/4 Akra made on the dyno?

Cheers
When i installed my cat delete and slip on i just unplugged the servo and there is no idiot light for it. (you dont need one of those servo buddies just unplug it)

·
Registered
175 Posts
oh I don't disagree, I'm just saying certain things shouldn't be changed by default in the tune and the steering damper software is one of them. More options rather than fewer is better but some things should require the rider to proactively use them, such as things like the decel fuel cut.

On my friends 2020 which he's had since day one, rearsets helped a surprising amount, the stock shifter and that stupid rubber surround are clunky af. Mind you this is on tracks like chuckwalla and willow streets, as we're in SoCal so yeah, a little more twisty and a little lower speed, as far as tracks go. At tracks with higher possible speeds like VIR maybe it's different?

you touched on something I was going to ask. It's seems its all or nothing with the QS. Some say it's the best they've ever used while others think it's the biggest load of ........ I really don't use mine but when I tested it for a few sessions it seemed fine. Fast smooth shifts (Chuckwalla and ButtonWillow) but then again one of the first thing I did was replace the OEM rearsets

I agree with the options item but then again I don't really understand the service BT is offering. Are they offering a tuning service only? Or a module that will allow people to do their own setup? I had them do a flash if I wanted something change would I have to have them do it, or would I be able to connect and just doing it myself?

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
303 Posts
If anyone has a R1M, we need one in-shop for testing. Shop is in Massachusetts. Please email [email protected] if you have one and I’ll schedule you in.

On another note, if anyone that rides these bikes daily and has good pull in the community is in SoCal, I’m able to flash your bike. I need feedback and posting about how the bike feels from stock. Anyone game?

·
476 Posts
On another note, if anyone that rides these bikes daily and has good pull in the community is in SoCal, I’m able to flash your bike. I need feedback and posting about how the bike feels from stock. Anyone game?
Me, but mines an R1M so is your M specific stuff good to go, or not yet, hence you calling for an M in your parent shop's local area?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had spoken to Brenntunning out in Maryland, and they did say the only option now is just the dyno tune and 1 week at a 1000$ fee like previously mentioned, and they don't currently offer mail in ECU tuning for the base 3/4 or other maps. Have to wait several weeks, just in case anyone is curious.

·
476 Posts
crap, hang on... see also:

"....2020+ owners will need to custom order by call in to have the front 02 sensors added to this model"

/sigh @retiredtk have you guys put together a tune with the graves slip+midpipe yet? that's the one i'd get (the one in the link), but if it requires semi-custom fab, i'm wondering if YOU guys had one. is the nonsense with the O2's due to the cats they added to the 20+ models? cars require O2 checks before and after the cats, and supposedly the euro5 stuff requires bikes to do the same. this could be the reason why the R1 now has 4 catalytics? right about now may be a good time to let us know what all various options/equipment/etc you guys have done tuning for, as i'm ready to pull the trigger on all this right now, but the various combinations of all this kinda determine what to do/buy and when. no real interest in full exhaust though, stock headers are good enough for me.

in other words depending on your answers i need to order blockoff plates, slipon, midpipe, maybe O2s and so on right now =/

i'm assuming theres not THAT much difference in the tune from one exhaust to the next but a potential wild card might be what each make/brand does about sensors. leaning toward stock air filter usage also, my extended warranty is something i wanna make at least a token attempt at retaining. dont give them an excuse, right? i dont care about every last single bit of HP, i care about overall usability and smoothness, quality of life stuff xD

·
Registered
100 Posts
If anyone has a R1M, we need one in-shop for testing. Shop is in Massachusetts. Please email [email protected] if you have one and I’ll schedule you in.

I'm game but im in Asutralia, care to sign me up as reseller for OZ? been flashing these puppies for 10 years

·
Gian11
1,614 Posts
They have always made their full and cat elim exahusts without those o2 sensors since you were supposed to use it with their ecu map/flash.

"....2020+ owners will need to custom order by call in to have the front 02 sensors added to this model"

/sigh @retiredtk have you guys put together a tune with the graves slip+midpipe yet? that's the one i'd get (the one in the link), but if it requires semi-custom fab, i'm wondering if YOU guys had one. is the nonsense with the O2's due to the cats they added to the 20+ models? cars require O2 checks before and after the cats, and supposedly the euro5 stuff requires bikes to do the same. this could be the reason why the R1 now has 4 catalytics? right about now may be a good time to let us know what all various options/equipment/etc you guys have done tuning for, as i'm ready to pull the trigger on all this right now, but the various combinations of all this kinda determine what to do/buy and when. no real interest in full exhaust though, stock headers are good enough for me.

in other words depending on your answers i need to order blockoff plates, slipon, midpipe, maybe O2s and so on right now =/

i'm assuming theres not THAT much difference in the tune from one exhaust to the next but a potential wild card might be what each make/brand does about sensors. leaning toward stock air filter usage also, my extended warranty is something i wanna make at least a token attempt at retaining. dont give them an excuse, right? i dont care about every last single bit of HP, i care about overall usability and smoothness, quality of life stuff xD

·
303 Posts

Yes, we’ve been doing multiple systems on the dyno to get mapping right. This includes graves. The errors for O2’s and other race modifications will be cleared from the dash as well.

Finalizing the remote solutions for customers or dealers to flash at their locations. We will have OTS mapping and if people want it dead nuts, we’ll suggest a piggyback controller to exact the AFR. Our mapping will be close but there’s always those people that want it perfect.

I'm game but im in Asutralia, care to sign me up as reseller for OZ? been flashing these puppies for 10 years
Yes, anywhere in the world can be a dealer for us.

·
476 Posts
first time i've heard of needing a power commander or similar along with a tune. yeahhhhh i'm gonna need alot more detail than these occasional posts, if i'm to drop in total a few grand on all this. pm sent =D

·
303 Posts
first time i've heard of needing a power commander or similar along with a tune. yeahhhhh i'm gonna need alot more detail than these occasional posts, if i'm to drop in total a few grand on all this. pm sent =D
Unlike the S1000RR the R1 doesn’t have factory widebands we can command a lambda target with. This means our flash will be close but it won’t be dead accurate (no two bikes are exactly the same). For most people the flash itself will be fine. For others that want to squeeze every bit of power that can out of the bike, a piggyback controller and dyno time will be the best. When Yamaha comes out with a wideband bike no AFR tuning will be needed.

Dealers that we authorize with the flash will be able to flash the bike on the dyno until it’s right. People at home typically don’t have dyno’s so that’s why we’ll suggest going to a dyno to get dialed in from 98% to 100%. If the dyno operator isn’t a dealer, a piggyback will be the next best thing.

·
Venom X/O
25,254 Posts
Unlike the S1000RR the R1 doesn’t have factory widebands we can command a lambda target with. This means our flash will be close but it won’t be dead accurate (no two bikes are exactly the same). For most people the flash itself will be fine. For others that want to squeeze every bit of power that can out of the bike, a piggyback controller and dyno time will be the best. When Yamaha comes out with a wideband bike no AFR tuning will be needed.

Dealers that we authorize with the flash will be able to flash the bike on the dyno until it’s right. People at home typically don’t have dyno’s so that’s why we’ll suggest going to a dyno to get dialed in from 98% to 100%. If the dyno operator isn’t a dealer, a piggyback will be the next best thing.
That isn’t any different than any other flash

·
Venom X/O
25,254 Posts
We aren’t trying to reinvent the wheel here. Just getting into the ecu, using proven methods and features and flashing the bike with great results.
Absolutely, but I wanted to confirm to people that the method you’re using has been used the exact same way since roughly 2008. The ecu can’t be perfect if you don’t dyno it, or have an auto tuner. Even then if you take your dyno tuned bike half way across the state the tune could be off again anyways just from different atmospheres.
What you’re doing is perfect, but some people want that absolute exact and for them, a secondary tuner that can adjust when things like weather change is required.
congrats on cracking the code and I’ll be hoping you guys make a killing flashing the ECU’s

·
476 Posts
I think I'll wait for a dyno tune I suppose, question is when will anyone in this region have this available.. Oh well, little more waiting won't kill me.

581 - 600 of 638 Posts