Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
601 - 620 of 883 Posts

·
Venom X/O
25,389 Posts
I think I'll wait for a dyno tune I suppose, question is when will anyone in this region have this available.. Oh well, little more waiting won't kill me.
Why? A remote flash would be more than perfectly fine. I’ve been racing on remote flashes for years, tens of thousands of people have been riding with remote flashes forever. You’d be wasting money

·
my genius knows no bounds
503 Posts
Why? A remote flash would be more than perfectly fine. I’ve been racing on remote flashes for years, tens of thousands of people have been riding with remote flashes forever. You’d be wasting money
you're not wrong with all that, I'm just trying to give myself the best chance of retaining my extended warranty. I'm not gonna cry about it, I got my bike out the door including the warranty for 26, damn near stole it xD

But I should at least make a token effort. Plus it's a million years to get any exhaust right now anyway. The Austin racing build dates are particularly uh.. extended.

·
Registered
181 Posts
you're not wrong with all that, I'm just trying to give myself the best chance of retaining my extended warranty. I'm not gonna cry about it, I got my bike out the door including the warranty for 26, damn near stole it xD

But I should at least make a token effort. Plus it's a million years to get any exhaust right now anyway. The Austin racing build dates are particularly uh.. extended.

This I don't understand. If you flash your ecu that's your warranty right there. So doing it now or later doesn't really matter. Depending where you're located putting an exhaust on your bike.....ditto with the warranty. I'm in Cali and when I had some issues with my R1M throttle sensor, I couldn't get a dealership to look at the bike because I had the Akrapovic 3/4, BMC airfilter and removed the lights.

Anyway my issue would be the price.... Unless I missed it the cost is $1000 across the board regardless of if you bring it into a shop for dyno tune or do a remote flash. Is there additional cost for follow up tuning? Paying the same for a flash and a dyno tune, that's kind of a tough pill to swallow. My R6 was flashed for $400 which I think is reasonable. If I wanted a dyno tune it was $850. As I own the kit ecu I got a dyno tune for around $400 using the kit. Also spoke to a shop that would sell me a custom map for the kit I could load myself for a couple hundred. The FTecu system (not my favorite company at the moment, and yeah they don't have a flash option for the 20+) has an option where you can buy it and flash it yourself (say if you going in for service and want to put it back to OEM settings for save warranty).

My R6 had an issue with the first map that was installed but the second (current one) has been awesome and untouched for a couple yrs and numerous trackdays. Now that I got my kit stuff sorted I don't see myself messing with the ecu much at all. But the main thing is for the money I paid I know that I can if I want/need to at no further cost. Was going to buy the FTecu kit for my R6 for the same reason. So that is what I'd be waiting for if I were going to remove the kit ecu from my R1 and put the OEM ecu back in. For better or worse I've become a DIY type. That first R6 map I got no support and ended up having to go to another shop to resolve that issue. Not cool. So don't want to be in a position again where I have to pay someone to do something I can do myself

·
503 Posts
....not what I was told by Yamaha when I called them the other day. In a nutshell they said a flash does not automatically mean warranty is void, it just depends.

Yes it often does but that's not the point.

Either way let's not get into that, it's a tired subject that's been beat to death on every car truck and bike related forum on earth.

Frankly I want it perfect, many people report random shutoffs followed by a perfectly normal restart indicating something has been weird with the fueling on this bike ever since 2015.

One things for sure, pretty much all of us would prefer to see a FTECU style of product where I can plug in a laptop and **** around all I want. For which I'm prepared to pay.. but that sort of thing sounds a long way off so second best would be a proper dyno tune.

·
503 Posts
I'm paranoid, just called them AGAIN, just now. 8009627926

The guy said yes it's void if a flash directly affected/caused the thing that went wrong, but then said yes they still cover you if say, you flashed your R1M but something went wrong with the suspension or dash.

He pointed out it would be hypocritical (his actual wording) to do otherwise since they, you know, have that whole GYTR thing available. Sounds like we're good boys, or at least as good as can reasonably be expected when we're flashing the ECU.

But, he'd never heard of the random shutoff thing. OK well for that and other reasons, I want my shit dialed in dead nuts, I'm thinking.

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
328 Posts
Question to people here. Who’s removed the intake flappers? Do they code of you do? If they code, what’s the code?

·
503 Posts
Question to people here. Who’s removed the intake flappers? Do they code of you do? If they code, what’s the code?
..you mean you didn't just unplug them real quick when you guys were doing flash work? xD seems that would be step one cuz if you don't disable those, you're getting fake readings during a dyno run.

·
328 Posts
..you mean you didn't just unplug them real quick when you guys were doing flash work? xD seems that would be step one cuz if you don't disable those, you're getting fake readings during a dyno run.
Everyone keeps them in then? No codes if removed? On the ECU they open at 7500 RPM. The IAT is fairly accurate already. Don’t see the flapper mod yielding big gains before 7500 and after they’re open the whole way. Just curious what people do here.

Tryjng to do this step by step and ask the community what they do with the bikes. Sure, we can do a bunch of stuff that 99.9% of the community wouldn’t entertain doing but want to see what the norm is here. Working with YEC maps now as well to integrate more features/power.

·
328 Posts
This I don't understand. If you flash your ecu that's your warranty right there. So doing it now or later doesn't really matter. Depending where you're located putting an exhaust on your bike.....ditto with the warranty. I'm in Cali and when I had some issues with my R1M throttle sensor, I couldn't get a dealership to look at the bike because I had the Akrapovic 3/4, BMC airfilter and removed the lights.

Anyway my issue would be the price.... Unless I missed it the cost is $1000 across the board regardless of if you bring it into a shop for dyno tune or do a remote flash. Is there additional cost for follow up tuning? Paying the same for a flash and a dyno tune, that's kind of a tough pill to swallow. My R6 was flashed for $400 which I think is reasonable. If I wanted a dyno tune it was $850. As I own the kit ecu I got a dyno tune for around $400 using the kit. Also spoke to a shop that would sell me a custom map for the kit I could load myself for a couple hundred. The FTecu system (not my favorite company at the moment, and yeah they don't have a flash option for the 20+) has an option where you can buy it and flash it yourself (say if you going in for service and want to put it back to OEM settings for save warranty).

My R6 had an issue with the first map that was installed but the second (current one) has been awesome and untouched for a couple yrs and numerous trackdays. Now that I got my kit stuff sorted I don't see myself messing with the ecu much at all. But the main thing is for the money I paid I know that I can if I want/need to at no further cost. Was going to buy the FTecu kit for my R6 for the same reason. So that is what I'd be waiting for if I were going to remove the kit ecu from my R1 and put the OEM ecu back in. For better or worse I've become a DIY type. That first R6 map I got no support and ended up having to go to another shop to resolve that issue. Not cool. So don't want to be in a position again where I have to pay someone to do something I can do myself
Pricing hasn’t been discussed for remote solutions yet. In-house tuning with flash is $1000 at the moment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pricing hasn’t been discussed for remote solutions yet. In-house tuning with flash is $1000 at the moment.
Wonderful, because there may be a few others like myself that have a limited budget. Thanks, and please be as gentle as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
503 Posts
Everyone keeps them in then? No codes if removed? On the ECU they open at 7500 RPM. The IAT is fairly accurate already. Don’t see the flapper mod yielding big gains before 7500 and after they’re open the whole way. Just curious what people do here.

Tryjng to do this step by step and ask the community what they do with the bikes. Sure, we can do a bunch of stuff that 99.9% of the community wouldn’t entertain doing but want to see what the norm is here. Working with YEC maps now as well to integrate more features/power.
Ohhhhh when you said flappers I thought you meant the pair valves, which dump fresh air into the exhaust. So by flappers you mean the secondary stacks? Can't imagine why anyone would monkey with those, they move with a stepper motor at a few thousand rpm below max torque.

But seriously, you did do your tuning with the pair system disabled even if all ya did was just block the hose.... right? 😥

·
Registered
181 Posts
I removed my flapper valve inside the air intake, but left the rest of it place. I also had a dongle for the AIS removal. I didn't see any errors. once I got the kit I removed everything. Thanks for the info on the flash $$$$ again that's why I said I might have missed the pricing on that as I had only seen the dyno pricing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm paranoid, just called them AGAIN, just now. 8009627926

The guy said yes it's void if a flash directly affected/caused the thing that went wrong, but then said yes they still cover you if say, you flashed your R1M but something went wrong with the suspension or dash.

He pointed out it would be hypocritical (his actual wording) to do otherwise since they, you know, have that whole GYTR thing available. Sounds like we're good boys, or at least as good as can reasonably be expected when we're flashing the ECU.

But, he'd never heard of the random shutoff thing. OK well for that and other reasons, I want my shit dialed in dead nuts, I'm thinking.

Given the effort Yamaha put into not making the 2020+ ecu easily flashable it's just going to be a risk you have to decide to take if an issue comes up that may be related to a mod. When the clip on my ERS fork broke which is a flimsy design to begin with I got raked over the coals because I had a kill switch installed and the nut had a couple of scratches from adjusting the preload. Seemed they were looking for any reason not to warranty the part, though it did end up getting warrantied.

You just have to decide if it's a risk you're willing to take as some guy on the 800 number doesn't make the actual call to warranty something or not. Stating the obvious the main thing is try and go with quality and reputable service when you are having stuff done. And even then crap can happen. I have the GYTR kit and I still got crap from the dealership about it . So I wouldn't bank on that comment.

·
503 Posts
Nah. It's not that they suddenly got a stick up their ass to lock down the ECU, it's that they and everyone else were required to do things to be compliant with Euro5. us corvette guys were frustrated by the same thing, the 2020 is locked and people are pulling their custom boost kits off their cars after 3k miles and whatnot cuz there's just no tuning to be done and twin turbo C8's run like shit after a while xD

The number I posted is not the number to Yamaha YES, that's the number to their customer relations department which IS largely who makes the call on warranty decisions. When they need to, they send out a field tech but all manufacturers do that, bikes cars whatever.

I know a thing or two, ya see, I don't just assume lots of stupid shit then start typing all over the interwebs =P

Either way I'm gonna need very specific answers to many different questions before I move on this, but can do so at any time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Okay, I'm confused now. What I am looking for is a Flashed ECU, block off plates, mid pipe and slip on and maybe an air filter with NO CEL LIGHT. Is this going to be impossible or what? will a servo buddy be needed? will a Power Commander be need as well? everybody chiming in is complicating the **** out of the situation. Obviously we are relying on one guy to give us updates but he's also asking us about codes?

·
503 Posts
Short answer: we thought he was talking about the pair valves but I'm fairly sure he wasn't. Also, their product isn't ready yet, they're still adding/tweaking things, sounds like.

I myself don't require every single bell and whistle, I want it correct and reliable.

·
328 Posts
Anyone happen to have a download link for a GYTR software? Wanted to try a couple things tomorrow and would help.

601 - 620 of 883 Posts