Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
621 - 640 of 883 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
He is clearly talking about the plastic flapper in the intake/fairing stay.

Picture added for the confused:
Again this is another common mod typically done to track bikes or drag bikes. Most street guys are not going to strip the bike all the way down, split the intake and trash all the vacuum lines.

I'll post an update this evening for all the fault codes I have. I might have to plug the OEM ABS pump back in. Bike does not seem to like the "new revised" FT ECU ABS delete plug so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmm. so you've dropped the front end a bit? Still OK, or OK enough, on the straights?
No, when I took this pic I had just received my suspension back from Thermosman. The forks now have Ohlins FKR cartridges in them. They're set back at the stock 10mm setting. These cartridges are longer than the stock internals so I have the ability to go 10mm longer if I put them in flush.

Back on topic the pic was to show where the "flapper" he is talking about is located. It's a piece of plastic that is controlled via vacuum to change airflow in the intake.

Any aftermarket fairing stay replacement elimanates all this junk. Look up the motoholders carbon replacement you will see.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Okay, I'm confused now. What I am looking for is a Flashed ECU, block off plates, mid pipe and slip on and maybe an air filter with NO CEL LIGHT. Is this going to be impossible or what? will a servo buddy be needed? will a Power Commander be need as well? everybody chiming in is complicating the **** out of the situation. Obviously we are relying on one guy to give us updates but he's also asking us about codes?
  1. The first 4 (pipe,block plates, air filter) would be covered under dyno tuning/flash
  2. exup error - dependent on option selected in the flash
  3. PC would be for additional tuning

·
Registered
2020 R1
20 Posts
Seeing that 650ib video it looks like a pain to get to the flapper and remove. If you get in and go that far I would grind out the divider in there.

soon as the flash is available I’m going full akrapovic, sprint filter, and block off plates. Getting tired of looking at brown boxes just sitting there.

·
my genius knows no bounds
503 Posts
Yeah an exhaust is a good half of the reason for a flash, seems like. I'm sure as hell not gonna bother with the flapper

·
Registered
63 Posts
From the looks of the inside of that air intake duct, I think I will want to remove and open mine up. You would have to talk to one of the engineers to find out how much the air flow changes, or maybe this avoids some sort of turbulence ar different speeds? either way it seems it would breathe better with this wide open. Good idea to bring it up.

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
328 Posts
From the looks of the inside of that air intake duct, I think I will want to remove and open mine up. You would have to talk to one of the engineers to find out how much the air flow changes, or maybe this avoids some sort of turbulence ar different speeds? either way it seems it would breathe better with this wide open. Good idea to bring it up.
Tested open and closed. Opens regardless at 7500 RPM and stays open until redline. Before 7500 you will gain 1-2hp if open (could be attributed to run to run variance) and after 7500 no gain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tested open and closed. Opens regardless at 7500 RPM and stays open until redline. Before 7500 you will gain 1-2hp if open (could be attributed to run to run variance) and after 7500 no gain.
The flapper did NOT give a code. Mine is deleted all the way back to the main feed line. I pinched it off and hose clamped it so I would not get any leaks.

Only codes I had on the bike are:

P048D (exhaust pressure control valve position sensor/switch circuit low) exhaust servo from the Akrapovic thats on the bike.

P1400 (This was from the AIS solenoid) Deleted the AIS system and put graves blockoff plates. I did however plug the solenoid back in to eliminate this code for now. I'm trying to regain access to my menu functions.

UPDATE

UNRELATED
P0500
Vehicle speed sensor (believe this is the rear. Still testing/ troubleshooting this. I have not verified that the ABS delete plug is causing this yet. Planning on messing with it today. The speedometer and wheel speed sensor were working before I pulled the ABS pump.)

-Removed the ABS delete plug, put the OEM pump back in. The wheel speed sensors are back to functioning like normal.

The bike throws an immediate fault for the exhaust servo(P048D), not sure how some of you are not getting codes when you deleted the lines and stock muffler.

After reconnecting: OEM exhaust servo, OEM solenoid to AIS and OEM ABS pump I now have access to the menus again.

Cheers

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did the same in regards to the flapper. removed all that stuff, plugged the hose and put a cap over the hole where the valve sits on the top. Next time I'm in the bike I'll remove the hose completely and plug at the connection.

Those errors you got
  1. P0500 - Same here turned out to be caused by the FTEcu ABS delete. Had to put the OEM pump back in and eventually a YART ABS Delete unit. This is not something that can be disabled in a flash. if you want to remove the OEM ABS pump you'll have to get a compatible working ABS delete unit to complete that circut
  2. P048D - The exup can be disabled with flash. Other options just disconnect and level in place. or exup delete
  3. P1400 - Same as exup can be disabled in flash or just disconnected and left in place or get a dongle

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seeing that 650ib video it looks like a pain to get to the flapper and remove. If you get in and go that far I would grind out the divider in there.

soon as the flash is available I’m going full akrapovic, sprint filter, and block off plates. Getting tired of looking at brown boxes just sitting there.

It's actually not hard. If you've never removed the headlight assembly then it might seem that way but if you have everything really just kind of comes off pretty straight forward. If only if you just think you can get directly to the intact that seems difficult. Right now it wasn't a priority but I'll just get a different intake instead of modifying the OEM one just in case I ever decide/need to put the bike back 100% OEM

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did the same in regards to the flapper. removed all that stuff, plugged the hose and put a cap over the hole where the valve sits on the top. Next time I'm in the bike I'll remove the hose completely and plug at the connection.

Those errors you got
  1. P0500 - Same here turned out to be caused by the FTEcu ABS delete. Had to put the OEM pump back in and eventually a YART ABS Delete unit. This is not something that can be disabled in a flash. if you want to remove the OEM ABS pump you'll have to get a compatible working ABS delete unit to complete that circut
  2. P048D - The exup can be disabled with flash. Other options just disconnect and level in place. or exup delete
  3. P1400 - Same as exup can be disabled in flash or just disconnected and left in place or get a dongle
Yeah, if I had a mill I would have considered milling out the divider on the stock intake. However with the time invested I would probably just go the motoholders route, they have plastic and cf. If you happen to crash and break the plastic OEM fairing stay you're going to wish you had an aluminum one. At least you could bend those back and potentially not ruin your day. One is on my list too, however I paused on this bike until the ECU/ throttle restrictions are dealt with. Pulled the flapper while I was tearing down for the suspension.

Thanks for the info on the YART plug. I did contact SBU and FT about this plug will see what they say. Otherwise I'll leave the pump in or go the YART route.

·
Registered
28 Posts
EDR believe they are about a month out if all goes well. Really glad more people are slowly figuring things out as I believe a little competition among tuners always makes the product better. Yet for the moment my bike still sounds like a vespa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m looking forward to this flash. I have a full graves system and afr but looking to unlock the restrictions and see where it will get me.

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
328 Posts
EDR believe they are about a month out if all goes well. Really glad more people are slowly figuring things out as I believe a little competition among tuners always makes the product better. Yet for the moment my bike still sounds like a vespa.
This comes from an announcement made by a handheld supplier and yes, they’re close to flashing the bike.. I think they’ll find flashing the bike and actually making it work with a file are two completely different things. Though I am interested to see their progress.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
you're not wrong with all that, I'm just trying to give myself the best chance of retaining my extended warranty. I'm not gonna cry about it, I got my bike out the door including the warranty for 26, damn near stole it xD

But I should at least make a token effort. Plus it's a million years to get any exhaust right now anyway. The Austin racing build dates are particularly uh.. extended.
I have been waiting over 8 months (oct 31st) for my AR Full inconel exhaust NOTHING yet 😳

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brentuning did crack it open however I have heard that it would be wise to wait a month or two for them to work out any bugs. Was also told to expect 50-60 hp bump. 50-60 sounds pretty dang extreme but if it’s true then the bike will be a true rocket

·
Registered
87 Posts
Brentuning did crack it open however I have heard that it would be wise to wait a month or two for them to work out any bugs. Was also told to expect 50-60 hp bump. 50-60 sounds pretty dang extreme but if it’s true then the bike will be a true rocket
Hey yeah brentuning suddenly stopped talking about the 2020+ Yamaha r1 flash for whatever reason. Looks like a flash would add a little more than 20hp maybe but I think a 50-60hp jump is impossible lol.

621 - 640 of 883 Posts