Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that flashing the ecu is preferred for many reasons. I guess I was asking why cant the authorized yamaha dealer do that lol? Even if only doing whatever will work for the exhaust and nothing else. Is it just something they don't do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Basically because emissions and other laws. A lot of bikes are more restricted in the US than other territories and to sale the bikes they have to be compliant. Making mods to bikes that bypass emissions and other laws is illegal. Which is why you see a lot exhaust these days include a disclaimer that it may not be legal for street usage or responsible for emissions violations. In California it is illegal for a dealership to install an aftermarket system. Does that mean it isn't done, no but there is probably risk of a fine. Dealerships do have access to the ECU. When I picked up mine I wanted to just get while it was still in the crate, but they were not allow to give me the bike until they loaded the US settings into the ECU.

With all this waiting and waiting I was actually going to go to my dealer and ask if I signed a waiver would they change some of the ecu settings for me as my bike will only be used for track. I think they have a dyno as well so if they do then going to see if I can get them to help out. I doubt they will but wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Anyone heard if Power Commander or Bazazz has anything out yet that can at least piggy-back with the stock ecu so that fuel/timing can me altered to allow aftermarket exhausts to be fitted? Love my new 2020 R1 but sure would like to fit a better exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I actually just called Superbike Unlimited again, and they say until the ecu is unlocked, you cannot use a piggyback system with it. So maybe I'm just stuck with the stock pipe and restricted HP numbers till someone can crack the ecu code and obtain access to it and reflashing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's not completely accurate. It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to de-restrict and make a bunch of other setting changes then yes a piggy back module isn't going to be much use. But while it's not the optimal solution, you can do some tuning with them. So if you have an aftermarket exhaust you can adjust the fueling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone heard if Power Commander or Bazazz has anything out yet that can at least piggy-back with the stock ecu so that fuel/timing can me altered to allow aftermarket exhausts to be fitted? Love my new 2020 R1 but sure would like to fit a better exhaust system.
Dropped My 2020 r1m at Hindle exhaust systems today. The power commander will be installed tomorrow and tested. It’s a prototype with 3D printed connectors on it. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Then later this week or next week we will be putting the kit ecu and harness on and see how much power it unlocks. Also going to see if stock air filter vs bmc really makes any difference. Right now the bike is sitting at 159 hp max hope to see some improvements shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Hope you see some good numbers. Freddie at Superbike Unlimited said that a 2019 with ecu flash, full system and better air filter made 190 hp on their dyno. Hope you get somewhere around those numbers. Keep us informed. Good luck!

·
Living my Best Life
54 Posts
Quick question: I am supppose to have a roll-on race with a hayabusa this weekend. my 2020 R1 is totally Stock. the 2016 hayabusa has a full system and the ecu flash. What are my chances of wining. Also should I turn everything of like the abs, traccion control etc. What about the lift? anything you can tell me will help. i think they dyno the busa at 184. I do thing I have a chance of winning.
Quick answer make a separate post. Totally unrelated to the thread here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently purchased the 2020, i have an AR GPR2 exhaust on order and i would like to flash it when it’s installed. I cant find any products on the market for the 2020. Anyone have any suggestions?
Picked up My new R 1. Still no power commander or ECU flash available. Waiting patiently.... I pit an M4 Slip on. Bike is still a bit too quiet and the Cat/Muffler box is huge. Cant wait to trash it.

·
Crash OverRide
1,326 Posts
Here it is June with no power commander, no reflash available. I’m thinking a left over ‘19 might have been a better purchase. Nothing to do but wait wait and wait some more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got tired of waiting and just bit the bullet and got the kit ecu/harness. Should have it installed by the weekend and ready by the time my next trackday. Finally get to ride the thing after it's been sitting for 6 months collecting dust. To late to regret it so I just went all in

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Doesn’t the kit ecu/harness remove headlight, taillight and speedometer? I can’t afford a track-only R1. That’s why I’m marooned in a desert island till a reflash or PC-V becomes available. Let us know how yours turns out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got tired of waiting and just bit the bullet and got the kit ecu/harness. Should have it installed by the weekend and ready by the time my next trackday. Finally get to ride the thing after it's been sitting for 6 months collecting dust. To late to regret it so I just went all in

Could you have a thread with details on installing kit/harness? Hours spent, cost, etc... thinking of going the same direction on a 2020.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts