Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doesn’t the kit ecu/harness remove headlight, taillight and speedometer? I can’t afford a track-only R1. That’s why I’m marooned in a desert island till a reflash or PC-V becomes available. Let us know how yours turns out.
no it doesn’t , there is a separate harness that will allow you to keep the stock lights. You do lose the flashers though for a pit limiter but I’m sure some could figure a way around that. Not sure about the speedo but I didn’t see anything in the manual saying it disabled it.

you can download the kit manual from Yamaha Europe to give you an idea

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could you have a thread with details on installing kit/harness? Hours spent, cost, etc... thinking of going the same direction on a 2020.
I don’t know if it would be safe for the internet if I documented it lol. I doubt it cause space is my main issue (aside from knowledge) so everything is a bit harder for me to do. But right off the bat the ecu/harness/data connector is around $2500. since I have a R1M I had to purchase a additIonal harness for the suspension. And another if I want the headlights. So that’s another $200. Honestly i probably should take it in to be done but oh well I’m pretty bored. After it’s installed I’ll drop it off at Attack to be Dyno tuned which I think is $400 range.

if you plan on doing the install yourself I’d really recommend checking out the STG R1 project bike build videos. Most of that stuff applies to the 2020 as well. What doesn’t isn’t that much different. i can’t see doing a better job than Van did of how to strip down the R1. From there the kit isn’t really that hard. You just have to remove the stock harness and route the kit one.

my bike is pretty much already stripped and i just have to remove the harness and put the new one in But wanted to wait until I had everything before I started. As I mentioned you can download the kit manual from Yamaha Europe and it goes into detail about he install.

having said all of this yeah guess I’ll give the documentation of the harness a try but my workspace isn’t the best .

·
Registered
48 Posts
My tuner says it unlikely to have an issue as the bike will not run lean. It’s more likely to run rich and that’s why you get a lot of back firing. I am running mine without a tune and am not really worried about it. Tune would be the better way to do things but not really an option atm. I did however order a kit ecu and harness for the 2020 and it should be here next week. Then we will tune it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to comment on this Bazzaz used my Akra 3/4 system to build a map. They said the bike ran very lean with it installed and cat removed. So take that for what it’s worth. I didnt want to take the risk so I chose not to ride mine unless I put that cat back on or got it tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, im from Austria, also still waiting for an flash.
I did send an email to dynojet, those 2 answers i got:

Hi
Dynojet will not release a PCV for this motorcycle.
A Power Vision 3 is planned for direct programming of the control unit.

Sincerely
Thomas Haefner
Dynojet

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your request!

Unfortunately it is not yet available, but it should be there shortly. Please ask again in a few weeks or keep an eye on our website www.powervision.de.

Sincerely

Armand Mottier

·
Registered
48 Posts
unfortunately that's the same response that's been given since Dec. FTEcu thought they were going to have it by the end of Dec, that turned into Jan, mid feb, etc....... still nothing. You guys might have gotten lucky cause my kit ecu just arrived which means a flash kit will probably come out tomorrow!!!! lol You're welcome

·
Registered
321 Posts
@Ronnin05 what options does the kit/ECU offer? Is there software that allows ECU to be programmed? I'm only familiar with S1000RR RCK, which requires significant knowledge to dial in the bike. Don't know much about YRC kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is basically a pro level system. it comes with two maps a SBK and a STK. STK is for if you're using a stock motor. But I'm not an expert in this. First time I've messed with anything like it. Once I get the system installed I'm just going to take the bike down to Attack to have it tuned. I'm not going to mess with that and will leave that to the pros. But thing with the kit ecu is that you don't have restrictions so you don't need a flash to disable that stuff. Because you have full access to the ecu if you purchase the data cable you are set. Though I'm not going to mess with the fueling I got the cable so I can look at it and try to learn.

Again just want to state I'm far from an authority on this stuff. Just learning it now myself. If you are considering the kit ecu go download the manual it's free. It has all the instructions and info and will give a pretty clear idea of what you're in for. It's what I used to decide if I was going to get the kit or not.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You answered my question. So even with kit/harness I still need to tune the bike. Cannot STK flash used as-is? You're lucky to have Attack by you. Closest reputable tuner is 5+ hours from me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
depends on how the STK map works for you. If you like it then you're good to go. I haven't gotten to that point yet. still have to finish installing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I knew it. the moment I commit to the kit ecu!!!! lol Bazzaz system just went on sale. It's not an ecu flash so you can't turn off any restrictions, but you can do so tuning. They only got access 1 set of injectors so the maps they have are more "Spirited" riding foused and not slow riding around town. They have 3/4 and full system maps which were built of Akrapovic systems

·
Venom X/O
23,865 Posts
Just make sure to lay the harness in the bike, and replace connector by connector. Don’t pull the whole harness out of the bike and then try and figure out the new harness. Lay it over the old harness and go connector for connector. It should be a 5 on the difficulty scale.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Any updates guys? Anyone installed and dyno'd the race ECU/harness? Or has anyone talked to the Bazzaz people yet? Really want to get a pipe on the 2020 R1, but want to be sure that I can have the air/fuel ratio properly adjusted to go along with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No word on the power commander yet. The first one they sent us didn’t work but I think they have units that will work just not for sale yet. I think we are still waiting on one to give it another try. My race ecu and harness are in. Just waiting on my switches. Bike should be 100% by the end of the weekend. We did a few runs on the dyno on a crappy humid day and only got 159 hp out of it. Then he cleared some codes and did a few runs on a less humid day and got 165 hp. Hoping it will be 177-180hp with the ecu and harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No word on the power commander yet. The first one they sent us didn’t work but I think they have units that will work just not for sale yet. I think we are still waiting on one to give it another try. My race ecu and harness are in. Just waiting on my switches. Bike should be 100% by the end of the weekend. We did a few runs on the dyno on a crappy humid day and only got 159 hp out of it. Then he cleared some codes and did a few runs on a less humid day and got 165 hp. Hoping it will be 177-180hp with the ecu and harness.

Power commander for a 2020 R1? I heard dynojet is ditching the power commander and going with the power vision 3 for the 2020 R1. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had a power commander in hand with changes made to it to fit the 2020 r1. It came straight from them with 3D printed connectors but it didn’t work. It would look like they are trying to get one out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bazzaz has their unit available now. The only think is at the moment it only works with the upper injectors, so the current maps are recommended for track use or "Spirited" riding above 6k rpm. They are waiting on hardware for the lower injectors. The plan is for a harness swap when those are ready for early adaptors who buy now. Keep in mind so there is no confusion. The Bazzaz isn't an ecu flash so there is no unlocking or changing settings. It allows for fueling adjustments. Their maps were created with Akrapovic 3/4 and full systems

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I spoke to the sales guy at bazazz the other day, he said he has no idea when they'll have their full system available. Right now it's for upper-rpm only. He didn't know when they'll have the full monty done and available for sale. I really, REALLY want to fit a full exhaust system on the bike, but will remain stuck in a holding pattern, circling the airport, awaiting landing instructions. Sigh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all! New to the forum with purchasing the 2020 R1 in May and have ordered the Austin Racing GP1R 3/4 system. I asked Austin Racing for the dyno sheet from their 2020 R1 they have which they provided which includes the air/fuel ratio at the bottom of the graph. At first glimpse, it appears the fuel curve is in the mid 13’s so I was thinking no tune required but then I saw what appears to be another curve way lean and drops straight down when they end the run (13K RPM on the graph) and wonder if this is the AR exhaust, you just don’t see the rest of it due to being so lean? Thoughts?
7AD6E6E4-3DDB-49DB-BDBC-50D28CAEFD37.jpeg

81 - 100 of 106 Posts