Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1080 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you purchase the handheld youll need to wait til it gets to you. Download a program on your desktop computer. Then download your map off your bike to the handheld and download that onto your desk top then email it to them. Theyll build the map for you and email it back to you. Then do all that in reverse. Youll also need to move some pins around on your harness, which is super easy. Youll still need to move pins if you send ecu in

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
333 Posts
I don’t think I ever received the first email. The only email I received from BT was an order confirmation email. Was I supposed to receive something else? Like a questionnaire about the mods on my bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You send your file in then receive the questionnaire from BT. Instructions on site if you don’t know how. On the faq/resources page on BT Moto

·
Registered
92 Posts
You send your file in then receive the questionnaire from BT. Instructions on site if you don’t know how. On the faq/resources page on BT Moto
Thanks for the help. I was jumping the gun because I thought the repinning needed done before the mod file. Could you explain the reason behind the repinning? Is it to fool the handheld into thinking you have a euro spec bike?

·
In soviet Russia, R1 ride you.
333 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was jumping the gun because I thought the repinning needed done before the mod file. Could you explain the reason behind the repinning? Is it to fool the handheld into thinking you have a euro spec bike?

Repinning is done to change firing order of the bike. If you were to do that before extracting the file, your bike wouldn’t run on the stock file anymore until you got the mod file.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone watched Motonosity’s newest YouTube video? I just purchased my tune and watching that was a little concerning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed an akra exhaust plus the decat pipe. Am I okay to ride the bike for a few days while I wait for BT to email me back so I can flash the bike? Or will that hurt the bike?

·
my genius knows no bounds
517 Posts
do not put e85 in your bike, that tuner guy in motonosity's vid thinks its a fuckin truck or something.

the manual for the bike specifically says don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol in it. e85 is typically from 50 to 85% ethanol. run that in your bike for any real length of time and you win a prize =] its also corrosive in some cases, such as with aluminum and magnesium and possibly moly too, don't recall for sure on that last one (source; i'm a machinist, i know a few things about metals). and guess what your gas tank is made of? aluminum, yay. so pour a full tank of overpriced e85 in YOUR tank today and be sure to park that shit in the sun, because, 'merikuh! ...right?

...fvck's sake. what did i just watch? so that kid is running the bren tune and their genius solution to a flat spot was to fill it with e85? first of all.. why is that even on the table to begin with? here's a thought.. why not just correct the tune so that the bike runs well ON PUMP GAS? when an engine magically has a flat spot in just one place its usually pulling timing. and whaddaya know, e85 is generally higher octane than pump gas so yeah, i'm sure captain dyno over there thought this was just the perfect solution but yeah, no.

this is WHY i specifically asked retiredk what exhausts they tested with, to which he never fully replied. i'm sure they didn't test with a SC project exhaust since the build times on theirs as well as austin racing were pushed out months and months. those are basically homologation exhausts and they're about 98% the same as a straight pipe.

fun fact, e85 is roughly 1/3rd lower fuel economy. you'll go farther on gas and on a 4.5ish gallon tank which only gets you maybe 120 miles, well...... =P

·
Registered
92 Posts
do not put e85 in your bike, that tuner guy in motonosity's vid thinks its a fuckin truck or something.

the manual for the bike specifically says don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol in it. e85 is typically from 50 to 85% ethanol. run that in your bike for any real length of time and you win a prize =] its also corrosive in some cases, such as with aluminum and magnesium and possibly moly too, don't recall for sure on that last one (source; i'm a machinist, i know a few things about metals). and guess what your gas tank is made of? aluminum, yay. so pour a full tank of overpriced e85 in YOUR tank today and be sure to park that shit in the sun, because, 'merikuh! ...right?

...fvck's sake. what did i just watch? so that kid is running the bren tune and their genius solution to a flat spot was to fill it with e85? first of all.. why is that even on the table to begin with? here's a thought.. why not just correct the tune so that the bike runs well ON PUMP GAS? when an engine magically has a flat spot in just one place its usually pulling timing. and whaddaya know, e85 is generally higher octane than pump gas so yeah, i'm sure captain dyno over there thought this was just the perfect solution but yeah, no.

this is WHY i specifically asked retiredk what exhausts they tested with, to which he never fully replied. i'm sure they didn't test with a SC project exhaust since the build times on theirs as well as austin racing were pushed out months and months. those are basically homologation exhausts and they're about 98% the same as a straight pipe.

fun fact, e85 is roughly 1/3rd lower fuel economy. you'll go farther on gas and on a 4.5ish gallon tank which only gets you maybe 120 miles, well...... =P
Yeah I was a little concerned when I saw them put E85 in there without changing any of the fueling components. They seem to think BT sent them the wrong tune but like you said, I don’t think they tested any bikes with a “straight pipe”. I have an exhaust on order that is non homogenized(pretty much straight pipe) and I’m wondering if I’ll have the same flat spots that motonotisy had in his video. I don’t have any dyno tuners within three hours of me so I’m hoping they can speak on this and give us some feedback on whether they tested different exhausts.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Pretty sure it was a full akra system on their highest hp run.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pretty sure it was a full akra system on their highest hp run.
Yeah it was. Doesn’t help me much because I’m not getting akra or a full system. I decided on the 3/4 spark gp because it was the only one I liked in stock. Sc project and Austin racing are back ordered weeks/months.

·
517 Posts
well the point was, sc project and austin racing, in particular, are homologation style exhausts which are like a hairs breadth away from a straight pipe. i mean its like virtually no back pressure.

no, dont wanna go round and round with ppl about the whole back pressure thing. thats been done to death and its not THAT big of a deal. but the thing is, there are still significant differences from one exhaust to the next and whichever one bren used to do their tune with kinda affects things and would possibly explain this mystical flat spot motonosity had on his bike. seem to recall retiredk saying something about them doing some tuning with a graves exhaust.

yes, every bike is different. one bike may have no flat spot at all, another may have the same but 700 rpm lower, this, that, whatever.

to be fair, bren/retiredk told us about how if we wanna get that last mile of tuning goodness, we'll need a piggyback and it is what it is, i'm just not sure its the move to make since theres cost either way so why not just pay for more work on the tune itself. also, E85 getting dumped in it without changing the injectors or fuel lines or anything is gonna be a perfectly good reason for brentune to say nope nope does not compute whatever's going on with his bike is invalid, oh noes they put e85 in it and now the sky is falling, etcetc. so basically whatever motonosity learns may be of no value at all.

its also very telling that the tuner simply assumed that the bike 'may' have gotten an e85 tune in order to address an issue, where thats probly the least likely scenario. on a properly built race bike e85 is still not the first choice as race gas is still higher heat and energy content. what about the teams racing bigass tracks like daytona? on e85 with its lower mileage they might even run the tank empty before finishing the damn race =P E85 is what it is because its subsidized by the gov and because in an engine specifically designed to use it, it produces lower charge temperatures. and thats great and everything but doesn't really apply to OUR bikes, at least for the time being.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ll give you guys a little sneak peak 🙃… I know different dynos put down different numbers and where I did these dyno pulls tend to disappoint people. I have been working on some things with BT Moto and let me tell you, there should be a red carpet anywhere you see or hear anything regarding these people. That midrange is solid for pump gas and essential to pull you out of corners and track riding. Those 80-81 pound feet of torque and HP are fat and silky smooth and makes the bike pull like ferocious train when let open. (Soon more to come) View attachment 1019933
hmmm..your chart doesn't have that 'flat range' that motonosity has in his latest video. at least it looks that way to my untrained eyes

·
Registered
92 Posts
hmmm..your chart doesn't have that 'flat range' that motonosity has in his latest video. at least it looks that way to my untrained eyes
The flat spot could’ve been fixed on the dyno. We don’t know if that chart is before or after corrections.

·
517 Posts
it might just be his bike, hes running that damn near open exhaust. thats kinda what i was referring to. despite it being as loud as a jet, ppl seem to forget hes got that batshit crazy exhaust on his bike. its like 112db or something like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
can anyone else with the bt tune chime in? have you had any flat spots? maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much but just curious

·
Registered
93 Posts
can anyone else with the bt tune chime in? have you had any flat spots? maybe in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much but just curious
here is my bike on the dyno, just a quick clip, simple base runs, A mode , kinda rich at low RPM and the throttle is touchy, on or off at low RPM (mostly in B mode, A is not as bad), but no flat spots, no problems above 6. I did indicate the bike would be on the track mostly, full Akro stainless exhaust, stock filter, 93 Shell gas.

1041 - 1060 of 1080 Posts