Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 R1 with about a 100 miles on the ODO. While exiting from the highway a couple of days ago, I was shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear when the motor just shutdown. I was going about 35mph at the time. I was able to restart it with no problem, but I’m concerned that there’s something wrong with the bike. I don’t understand why it would just shutdown like that. Should I be worried about this? It would suck to have to take a brand new bike for warranty work this early.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the autoblipper engage somehow without your knowing it?
I’m new to the autoblipper stuff, and I have been trying it out every time I’m out riding the bike, but I wouldn’t know if it kicked in at the time. You think the auto-blipper might have shut the engine down?

I also haven’t gotten rev matching quite right on this bike yet. I caught the whole thing with my GoPro, and I’ve been watching the video repeatedly to see if I did something to kill the engine. It’s possible a badly failed attempt at rev-matching killed the engine, but that seems highly unlikely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny (or not).
Had two -07 and they both did like that, totally randomly and often when i really didn't want it to.

Can't imagine it's the same fault... or could it?
Did you get the bikes checked out/fixed/etc? My biggest concern is if this happens while going 80mph on the highway. I’m thinking that would be a pretty dangerous scenario.

·
R1.. The fast kind
910 Posts
Yes, the first one they took back and gave me another just to find out it had the same problem...
It took a year or so of constant complaining until yamaha found a fix for that problem.

It was on this forum i found out some other 07-08 owners encountered the same thing..

Reading further what happend to you it might not be the same cause..
Did you use auto blip or clutch during downshift or did you pull the clutch after engine cut out?

On the 07-08 the engine cut out because the ECU closed the throttle blades to much during downshift/engine braking causing the engine to stop in the same moment the clutch was pulled in.

It only happened occasionally and if i let the clutch out in e.g seccond gear with a dead motor entering a slow corner the rear wheel could lock up.
Even though i pulled the clutch really quick it wasn't that easy continuing the corner without positive drive from the engine..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the first one they took back and gave me another just to find out it had the same problem...
It took a year or so of constant complaining until yamaha found a fix for that problem.

It was on this forum i found out some other 07-08 owners encountered the same thing..

Reading further what happend to you it might not be the same cause..
Did you use auto blip or clutch during downshift or did you pull the clutch after engine cut out?

On the 07-08 the engine cut out because the ECU closed the throttle blades to much during downshift/engine braking causing the engine to stop in the same moment the clutch was pulled in.

It only happened occasionally and if i let the clutch out in e.g seccond gear with a dead motor entering a slow corner the rear wheel could lock up.
Even though i pulled the clutch really quick it wasn't that easy continuing the corner without positive drive from the engine..
I used the clutch to downshift. Here’s a video snippet of the incident:

The engine cuts out part way through the video.

·
R1.. The fast kind
910 Posts
Really good you have that video (y)

It didn't look that dramatic but it was pretty serious..
If you would attempt and failed to bump start or just didn't notice the engine cut out you could have been run in to by the following car...

Of course i can't say what caused this to happen, i might even lead you in totally wrong direction but the conditions was quite similar to when my bike did this....

As already said, contact yamaha/dealer, it can be a minor problem they are aware of.

Give it some time to see if it was a one time thing.
In safe situations try to mimic this event and see if you can provoke it to happen again.

Just for information, the 07-08 fix is described in the link in my signature below...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really good you have that video (y)

It didn't look that dramatic but it was pretty serious..
If you would attempt and failed to bump start or just didn't notice the engine cut out you could have been run in to by the following car...

Of course i can't say what caused this to happen, i might even lead you in totally wrong direction but the conditions was quite similar to when my bike did this....

As already said, contact yamaha/dealer, it can be a minor problem they are aware of.

Give it some time to see if it was a one time thing.
In safe situations try to mimic this event and see if you can provoke it to happen again.

Just for information, the 07-08 fix is described in the link in my signature below...
If it happens again, I’ll take it to the dealer. Thanks for the advice...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts