Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CLICK HERE TO GO TO OUR PRODUCT PAGE

2020-2021 Yamaha R1 / R1M
The 2020+ Yamaha is probably the bike we get emailed about tuning the most so we decided to take it on. Having a massive customer and fanbase makes this bike is incredibly popular. Your requests helped our tuning become a priority at our headquarters in Massachusetts.

While the R1 isn’t a new platform, its addition to our lineup is. With all the known tuners stumped with the flashing protocol on this machine, we wanted to step in and help; and with the help of our engineers, we have been able to streamline the much needed ECU development in a short amount of time. This has quickly turned into the best upgrade you can get for your R1 with gains of up to almost +50WHP from just a flash!

We have found the 2020+ R1 has a lot of changes to the software and ECU side. We use factory information and reverse engineering, meaning we don’t use incomplete editors to nudge fueling a little, like some competitors will try to do. We had to develop ECU strategies from square one. From acquisition of the bike, to spare control units to Euro and US testing, we found out how everything works down to the last detail and what differs so much in power output. After all our hard work we are able to bring you our Stage 1 ECU upgrade.

ADVANTAGES WITH BT MOTO
  • Up to almost +50WHP/+20WTQ gains
  • Adjusted fueling to an optimal AFR with stock or aftermarket exhaust systems
  • Optimized ignition mapping for more power but still well-within safety parameters
  • Completely derestricted throttle
  • RPM limit increased (upon customer request)
  • Idle adjustments
  • O2 and EXV modified for race use
  • Cooling fan on adjusted from 216* to 195* to keep the engine cooler
  • Quickshifter and auto blipper adjustments to be used at lower and higher RPM’s when needed at the track
  • Top speed limiter removed
Keep in mind you’ll need to have the mechanical ability to access your ECU for your first flash (not required after). If you feel you cannot confidently get to your ECU, we recommend you take your bike to a professional (we have a dealer network). We will also be providing easy to follow, step-by-step directions. This is very easy to do, even with very little mechanical knowledge.

Currently this tuning is only available for US and Canada bikes. We will be updating soon for more countries.

DYNO TESTING

The graph below represents a factory stock 2020 Yamaha R1 PLUS a full exhaust install and tuning. You can see the power get taper off significantly in the top-end of the RPM range due to throttle restrictions. If you look at the below power graph you can clearly see the issue. With proper fueling and ignition changes we were able to not only get a smooth power curve but we also managed to make gains across the entire RPM range. You will notice this at all times while riding the bike. Whether it be in the canyon, the track, or just cruising around town. The bike will feel completely different and more responsive. Add exhaust to the setup and it’s a completely different bike than before! The low and mid-range come to life and makes massive gains the stock exhaust. Up top the power carries as well, all the way to redline.

RED LINE – Factory tuning on 93 pump gas with stock exhaust: 158WHP / 76WTQ
BLUE LINE – BT MOTO Tuned on 93 Pump Gas: 180WHP / 84WTQ
GREEN LINE – BT MOTO Tuned on 93 pump gas with Akrapovic full system: 191WHP / 92WTQ

The graph below represents a factory stock 2020 Yamaha R1, before and after tuning

Factory Tuning on 93 Pump Gas: 159WHP / 76WTQ
BT MOTO Tuned on 93 Pump Gas: 184WHP / 86WTQ

Testing performed with 93 octane pump gas. Usage of a lower octane will yield smaller power gains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im guessing this is ok to use on UK bikes too? Even though it states:

Currently this tuning is only available for US and Canada bikes. We will be updating soon for more countries.

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im guessing this is ok to use on UK bikes too? Even though it states:

We are adding new countries as they come in. Each file has a different software number and the files are a bit different. We always want to make 100% sure about the tuning files.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I want to say thanks to Brentuning for tuning of my Bike. I have a 2020 R1. I would say my bike was one of the first or the first in the U.S to be tuned. Everything they did on my bike is great. The bike runs better and with the full Akra and the 191 +hp makes a great difference. It has taken me approximately a month to write something up but in Mass has been raining a lot. I have been riding a lot in the past few days and every time I go out is a different experience. The acceleration and the HP is amazing.

Thanks again to Brentuning for all their hard work in getting the tuning done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are adding new countries as they come in. Each file has a different software number and the files are a bit different. We always want to make 100% sure about the tuning files.
The reason I asked is I have just flashed my UK bike with your handheld and did not realise it’s not suitable for my uk bike, I haven’t started it up yet, I’m I best to wait?

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I asked is I have just flashed my UK bike with your handheld and did not realise it’s not suitable for my uk bike, I haven’t started it up yet, I’m I best to wait?
If you've recieved a file, it means your bike fits into the software versions we have tuning for. We have to look over the file you send in before making and packing your MOD file. We just got one from Kuwait that was about 15% different than any other file so we have to spend some time and look into it.

Reactions: JDillinger1

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you've recieved a file, it means your bike fits into the software versions we have tuning for. We have to look over the file you send in before making and packing your MOD file. We just got one from Kuwait that was about 15% different than any other file so we have to spend some time and look into it.
That’s good to know 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts