Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I installed the PCV on my 2020 R1 today and downloaded the map for graves exhaust with mid pipe. That’s the only aftermarket map currently available. I have a full Akrapovic exhaust but figured the map would be better than stock setup. No issues installing, the PCV green light came on and map pushed successfully. Test ride after the throttle response is way better. The only issue I ran into is the bike died once when I was coming to a stop (was in 1st year at about 5mph). Oil pressure and engine coolant signal came on but bike started right back up and never did it again. I was running it a little hard and think it might have just gotten too hot. Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How does the bike feel under part/full throttle? Before the PC, did you have any issues outside of cruising? Like part throttle, rolling into it?

·
Crash OverRide
1,335 Posts
I was wondering about the same thing with a full system and PCV installed. Sounds like it’s still running a little lean at low rpm. I was also thinking of buying the whole set up too PCV for the second injectors and ignition too buy dang dropping almost $1000 in just that is keeping me away at the moment.
Ordering the full akrapovic system tomorrow but still on the fence with the PCV systems.

·
Crash OverRide
1,335 Posts
Keep us informed on how the bike performs like mid range, high end, etc.
the PCV platform might be all we get till next year

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the bike feel under part/full throttle? Before the PC, did you have any issues outside of cruising? Like part throttle, rolling into it?
Bike feels a lot better with quicker throttle response, especially off the line. No issues before the PC with bike dying, but was very easy to stall when taking off, much better now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about the same thing with a full system and PCV installed. Sounds like it’s still running a little lean at low rpm. I was also thinking of buying the whole set up too PCV for the second injectors and ignition too buy dang dropping almost $1000 in just that is keeping me away at the moment.
Ordering the full akrapovic system tomorrow but still on the fence with the PCV systems.
You’re definitely gonna want to at least get the PCV for lower injectors if you’re getting the full Akrapovic system. Thought about the secondary module too but gonna hold off at this point. Want to flash the ECU once available, if someone can ever crack it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep us informed on how the bike performs like mid range, high end, etc.
the PCV platform might be all we get till next year
Yup, will do. I haven’t been able to ride it since my test ride. I live in Colorado and if anyone has seen the news it’s snowed here the past 2 days with temps in the 20’s/30’s, crazy weather! Look forward to riding more this weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bike feels a lot better with quicker throttle response, especially off the line. No issues before the PC with bike dying, but was very easy to stall when taking off, much better now.
reason why I ask is, I installed the SC Project decat system and the bike runs ok just cruising around but I rolled into it a couple of times to hear the exhaust and it sounded like breakup right around 5-6k so got back from the ride and ordered the PC V. I too am still anxiously waiting for the flash capacity but can’t stand not riding... I live in San Antonio, Tx so riding days are a little more abundant. 😁 Hope you get to ride soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reason why I ask is, I installed the SC Project decat system and the bike runs ok just cruising around but I rolled into it a couple of times to hear the exhaust and it sounded like breakup right around 5-6k so got back from the ride and ordered the PC V. I too am still anxiously waiting for the flash capacity but can’t stand not riding... I live in San Antonio, Tx so riding days are a little more abundant. 😁 Hope you get to ride soon!
Gotcha. I’m sure the PC will help you. Hoping Dynojet releases more maps soon. I envy your weather lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
how can you feel a difference from start when PCV and the available map only adjusts 40% throttle and upwards. decat will make bike run lean and at cursing speeds PCV does nothing. I've got 2 x 3/4 system. Akra and SC project. both run lean and SC more than akra. Bike runs way too hot in start stop traffic and sitting idle at lights. Still waiting for flash tune as PCV is only good for track bikes. According to Dynojet the closed loops area of the 2020 is 20% trottle and lower.

Sydney Dyno in Australia recently tuned a 2020 R1M on dyno using RapidBike Evo. According to them they were able to adjust the closed loop area (low end) as well as mid and top end but not sure if true. Rapid website notes 6000rpm and upwards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how can you feel a difference from start when PCV and the available map only adjusts 40% throttle and upwards. decat will make bike run lean and at cursing speeds PCV does nothing. I've got 2 x 3/4 system. Akra and SC project. both run lean and SC more than akra. Bike runs way too hot in start stop traffic and sitting idle at lights. Still waiting for flash tune as PCV is only good for track bikes. According to Dynojet the closed loops area of the 2020 is 20% trottle and lower.

Sydney Dyno in Australia recently tuned a 2020 R1M on dyno using RapidBike Evo. According to them they were able to adjust the closed loop area (low end) as well as mid and top end but not sure if true. Rapid website notes 6000rpm and upwards. View attachment 1015535
When I bought the bike it already had the full Akra exhaust system so couldn’t compare to stock. Nonetheless, the bike was very sketchy with taking off and easy to stall.
Throttle response was delayed and I had to baby the clutch. I am by no means a mechanical expert but the PCV helped with this issue. Still not perfect but better than before. Like you, my preference is to flash tune the ECU.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I bought the bike it already had the full Akra exhaust system so couldn’t compare to stock. Nonetheless, the bike was very sketchy with taking off and easy to stall.
Throttle response was delayed and I had to baby the clutch. I am by no means a mechanical expert but the PCV helped with this issue. Still not perfect but better than before. Like you, my preference is to flash tune the ECU.
maybe you were experiencing that as it still needed to be broken in. usually after a couple thousand k's/miles everything loosens up and throttle starts to feel better

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe you were experiencing that as it still needed to be broken in. usually after a couple thousand k's/miles everything loosens up and throttle starts to feel better
Bike had 2000 miles on it when I got it so it was broken in. I think it was just poor air/fuel mixture causing delayed throttle response.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m getting mine dyno tuned right now with just the SC Project 3/4 system and PC V. Will post the results soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m getting mine dyno tuned right now with just the SC Project 3/4 system and PC V. Will post the results soon!
Nice. What state? Just curious with elevation, I live in Colorado so hp will be lower. I just mapped the Akrapovic setup (dynojet released recently) and will be scheduling a dyno tune in the near future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice. What state? Just curious with elevation, I live in Colorado so hp will be lower. I just mapped the Akrapovic setup (dynojet released recently) and will be scheduling a dyno tune in the near future.
San Antonio, Tx! They had to add 30% fuel right where I would feel a dip in power which was lean and it fixed my hesitation issue (you can see the dip on the dyno run) The first run was with the map from PC for the Graves midpipe and slip on so looking at the fuel table before and after, they richened it up quite a bit, all over. Once again, I only have the SC Project 3/4 system and PC V with a dyno tune. Factory air filter and everything else is untouched.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
San Antonio, Tx! They had to add 30% fuel right where I would feel a dip in power which was lean and it fixed my hesitation issue (you can see the dip on the dyno run) The first run was with the map from PC for the Graves midpipe and slip on so looking at the fuel table before and after, they richened it up quite a bit, all over. Once again, I only have the SC Project 3/4 system and PC V with a dyno tune. Factory air filter and everything else is untouched.

View attachment 1015597
View attachment 1015599
Glad to hear they were able to resolve your issue. Much smoother power band after the tune. Thx for sharing.

·
SuperbikeUnlimited.com
2,155 Posts
Whaaaaa, Power Commander is the hot ticket again?!??!

Bike nights with stretched bikes and chrome frames coming back too?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts

View attachment 1015597
View attachment 1015599
Good stuff, at least something can be done. Any chance you can share your fuel table plz? would be a good base line

1 - 19 of 19 Posts