Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Apart from pads and lines (already done), what esle can be done ?

I dont feel like the changing the disc will be give much,

This rear brake just has very lil feedback/power for me, expecially compared to my 09 R6 with similar mods (pads/lines) (mc/caliper/disc are stock on both)

Would i have to buy brembo rear caliper from here?

The actual caliper does seem way smaller than my 09 r6, the M/C looks about the same, so i would guess that main problem is the small caliper? or am i missing something? (mby both?)

From what i have search, there is no way to upgrade to brembo, without changing the caliper location?

I would aprecciate some help from some1 that has done this mod/similar,

Thanks!

· I'm going to be a dad!
2022 Yamaha R1
612 Posts
Other than for looks and weight savings. I see no purpose on upgrading the rear caliper. You’re better off upgrading the rear rotors.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
canyon and some track, and you are right, front is stronger, and i use it mainly,

But for my style of riding, i prefer to have more rear brake feedback, doenst really/necessary means i use it harder,

You are both right on the front being the main braking power souce, but i cant feel any feedback from the rear brake on this bike.

A quick ride around the block on both bikes, and you would feel what i am talking about.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other than for looks and weight savings. I see no purpose on upgrading the rear caliper. You’re better off upgrading the rear rotors.
The location and the bigger piston on the caliper, may give some power/feedback to the rear, no?

Rotor can also be done, but i dont know how much that would give. Any recomendation?

Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
Bleed the line again.
Try multiple different pads. (pads feel different from bike to bike)
Change the master.
You may be able to use the R6 master and see if it gives you the feel you want from it.
Changing the caliper won't give you much and the rotor even less.

I've never tried a thumb lever, but I've heard very good things from them.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bleed the line again.
Try multiple different pads. (pads feel different from bike to bike)
Change the master.
You may be able to use the R6 master and see if it gives you the feel you want from it.
Changing the caliper won't give you much and the rotor even less.

I've never tried a thumb lever, but I've heard very good things from them.
Hello,

The lines are bled correctly. RBF660 (same as R6)

Pads atm are EBC HH (same as R6)

The only diference i can see beetwen both bikes, is the actual caliper being smaller on the R1, and the ABS.

The REAR M/C on both bikes, seem pretty much the same, but they are diferent, therefor that is not a bad ideia, i can try the M/C, shoulda have no cost,

If it was an option, i would just swap the entire R6 rear brake system on this bike LOL

Im doing my re-search on thumb brakes also,

Many Thanks every1 for the help.

· I'm going to be a dad!
2022 Yamaha R1
612 Posts
I removed the abs on my 2022 and to me it made a big difference but I normally don’t use the rear unless I’m doing tight maneuvers.

Reactions: Outside World

· Registered
8 Posts
I understand this sounds a little crazy. I am the world's worst typist. I can spell correctly, but I rarely do...sorry for the errors.

Lots of us who come from a dirt bike background really don't know what to do with ourselves unless we have a good rear brake. On most modern streetbike you don't get one. They lack power and feel. They do nothing unless you really stomp on it.

I haven't measured the rear caliper piston on a modern r1, but most of the Japanese bikes use a master cylinder that's 1/2" with a rear caliper that has a single 38mm piston . I suspect this bike is similar? Maybe someone could confirm?

The short version is you have to replace the rear caliper to fix this. It's not that the stock caliper lacks quality. It does, but the issue is it's the "wrong" size, based on the formula they figured out 40 years ago .

The Brembo P34 works well and doesn't cost that much. The Brembo has 2 34mm pistons in it. When paired with je stock rear master, the leverage ratio is much improved.

I wish I knew why? I sort of understand that they needed to engineer a weak rear brake before abs, but the r1's abs system is about foolproof. If they added a good rear brake, maybe people would use it? I would hate to have to learn the rear brake by riding modern bikes.

This isn't just the r1. You can substitute mostly every Japanese streetbike in it's place and find the same problem.

Heres that chart. I know nothing appears relevant, but if you start buying calipers and master cylinders, its still 100% accurate.

Buy the P32 caliper if you like a super solid rear brake. Buy the P34 if you want extra power and not quite as much feel. For me, I liked the 32 with Vesrah rear pads. It wasn't like I solved this issue, myself.

Check out this chart. Notice where 1/2" master and single 38mm piston cross over. It sucks because that's the only option with that ratio .

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand this sounds a little crazy. I am the world's worst typist. I can spell correctly, but I rarely do...sorry for the errors.

Lots of us who come from a dirt bike background really don't know what to do with ourselves unless we have a good rear brake. On most modern streetbike you don't get one. They lack power and feel. They do nothing unless you really stomp on it.

I haven't measured the rear caliper piston on a modern r1, but most of the Japanese bikes use a master cylinder that's 1/2" with a rear caliper that has a single 38mm piston . I suspect this bike is similar? Maybe someone could confirm?

The short version is you have to replace the rear caliper to fix this. It's not that the stock caliper lacks quality. It does, but the issue is it's the "wrong" size, based on the formula they figured out 40 years ago .

The Brembo P34 works well and doesn't cost that much. The Brembo has 2 34mm pistons in it. When paired with je stock rear master, the leverage ratio is much improved.

I wish I knew why? I sort of understand that they needed to engineer a weak rear brake before abs, but the r1's abs system is about foolproof. If they added a good rear brake, maybe people would use it? I would hate to have to learn the rear brake by riding modern bikes.

This isn't just the r1. You can substitute mostly every Japanese streetbike in it's place and find the same problem.

Heres that chart. I know nothing appears relevant, but if you start buying calipers and master cylinders, its still 100% accurate.

Buy the P32 caliper if you like a super solid rear brake. Buy the P34 if you want extra power and not quite as much feel. For me, I liked the 32 with Vesrah rear pads. It wasn't like I solved this issue, myself.

Check out this chart. Notice where 1/2" master and single 38mm piston cross over. It sucks because that's the only option with that ratio .

This ?

Thanks!

· Registered
8 Posts
Yes, that's the idea. That caliper would've fine. If you found a cheap, used one it might be the option. The one I link to is a little bit more compact. I bought all my stuff and never had a clue if there was clearance between my wheel and caliper. I had to hope for the best.

I like this one better for what we are doing. This is just an example. You can order from anyone, but Webike had good prices and I had my stuff within a few days. Search Brembo rear caliper there and look at the choices.

The advantage to this one is that you can choose where you attach the brake line. You can exchange the bleed port and the line port. This might help avoid having to replace the line? Stock rubber lines work just fine if you have a good caliper and a good pad.

When you try this P34f caliper, with it's supplied pads, you'll say "This guy is an idiot and I've wasted 300.00 buying this caliper and custom carrier. I'm going to hunt him down...."

Before you do that, wait...we are not finished. The pads that are supplied in this caliper are real Brembo pads, but they are very mild and weak. I've tried several pads and I like this one. The Vesrah VD964jl. It would improve the stock rear brake, but nothing like we are talking about.

If you choose EBC, or Galfer, forget it. The EBC HH pads are garbage. Galfer pads work ok with their wave rotors. The exaggerated wave shape adds a ton of initial bite to the system, so you need a mild, weak pad to calm that down. Used on our good, round rotors you get a low bite system and a mushy lever feel , just like you get with their front pads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts