Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
2,023 Posts
Underpowered and under delivered
Power ain't everything for me. I like the idea of a smaller bike but hate parallel twins.
There are some small Midwest tracks that this would do well at.

Reactions: Marteeen69

· Venom X/O
26,966 Posts
Power ain't everything for me. I like the idea of a smaller bike but hate parallel twins.
There are some small Midwest tracks that this would do well at.
Understandable… but those who race are tired of Yamaha recycling underpowered motors and putting them in chassis that are capable of so much more.

I know I don’t want to spend $8000 on a motor so I can be competitive with non-built motor bikes. I want to spend the same as other bikes and dominate.. Yamaha isn’t the same anymore like the old days when other bikes dreamed about handling like the Yam. Instead the new iteration of race bike has so many options that handle really well and make double digit more horsepower and torque. Just stinks ti see them recycle another engine into an old frame and sell it as new.

· Venom X/O
26,966 Posts
My thoughts are that it will be priced right and sell well. No bike is underpowered if it meets its target market expectations. Not sure is there is even a race class for it to compete in. As a roadbike or trackday mount it looks to fill Yamaha’s gap between the R7 and R1.
Yet, there is a race class for it and they’re selling it as a race bike potentially. How much HP does the GSXR 750 or Duc V2 make? Much more than this will if it recycled the MT-09 engine.

· Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the reply gearheaded, you are probably not the target market for the R9. Yamaha would not be concerned with your underpowered conclusion. I doubt if the will promote it as a race bike, my thoughts are it will have a very similar official launch video as the R7. I'll wait to see its price point before I even slightly compare it to the Ducati V2.

· Administrator
27,553 Posts
How much HP does the GSXR 750 or Duc V2 make?
Officially, the 23 gixxer makes 150hp and 64 ft lbs. The 23 duc makes 155 hp and 77 ft lbs. So yeah, good luck to yamaha to make anything close to that. Once again yamaha will be out gunned by a wide margin.

· Registered
122 Posts
Not sure about the USA but the gsxr is not listed on the AUS model line up. From what I’ve read it doesn’t meet the relevant Euro emission standards or have ABS. Whereas the Yamaha CP3 does. So I can’t compare it against the R9 either.

· Venom X/O
26,966 Posts
Thanks for the reply gearheaded, you are probably not the target market for the R9. Yamaha would not be concerned with your underpowered conclusion. I doubt if the will promote it as a race bike, my thoughts are it will have a very similar official launch video as the R7. I'll wait to see its price point before I even slightly compare it to the Ducati V2.
If it’s not made for a race class, don’t market it as a race bike. Just my opinion

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
It never should be labeled as a R series. I know the market has and is changing, but to me, it's just a major insult to call it a R9. Same when the R7 was brought back. We all had high hopes, but was a let down. If Yamaha wants to keep the sport R label then make it a true sportbike. Otherwise, just make a twin or neutered sportbike, but don't give it the R series name it doesn't deserve. I'd sure hate to see the new '24/'25 R1 if this trend continues. Sorry, but I'm old school. If the bike fits your riding style then have fun with it.

· Registered
122 Posts
It never should be labeled as a R series. I know the market has and is changing, but to me, it's just a major insult to call it a R9. Same when the R7 was brought back. We all had high hopes, but was a let down. If Yamaha wants to keep the sport R label then make it a true sportbike. Otherwise, just make a twin or neutered sportbike, but don't give it the R series name it doesn't deserve. I'd sure hate to see the new '24/'25 R1 if this trend continues. Sorry, but I'm old school. If the bike fits your riding style then have fun with it.
Your last sentence is why we are offered multiple styles of the base chassis/motor format.,and is what keeps pricing as affordable as manufacturers can offer.Marketing exec’s take into account “OLD SCHOOL” if a retro model is on the table( Triumph in particular thrive on it ), The R9 isn’t a retro so Old School won’t be considered.

· Venom X/O
26,966 Posts
Your last sentence is why we are offered multiple styles of the base chassis/motor format.,and is what keeps pricing as affordable as manufacturers can offer.Marketing exec’s take into account “OLD SCHOOL” if a retro model is on the table( Triumph in particular thrive on it ), The R9 isn’t a retro so Old School won’t be considered.
Old school in Skeeters sense is like when the 98 YZF R1 arrived. That’s old school now. But when Yamaha dropped the “R” it was a bad to the bone kill everything in its path machine. Those days are long gone it seems

· Registered
'08 r1
3,598 Posts
Old school in Skeeters sense is like when the 98 YZF R1 arrived. That’s old school now. But when Yamaha dropped the “R” it was a bad to the bone kill everything in its path machine. Those days are long gone it seems
I'll be honest, I'm just hoping our machines are still legal in 12 years.

· Registered
102 Posts
I’m fairly certain a R9 race breed mt09 is coming if they filed for naming rights. The question is if they keep the MT-10 and R1. The lineup is getting a bit crowded. I’m a Product Marketing Manager for a popular vehicle you have all herd of, so I think about this stuff too much, and developing series lineups is core to what I do for a living. Pricing will also be interesting. Price walk from MT-07 to R7 is only $1,100. The MT-09 starts at $9,400 and the MT10 is $14,000. The R9 would have to be priced below the MT10. I’m really interested in the sub liter bike sport market and if the manufacturers are actually delivering what this customer wants. I think the Ducati Super Sport is a really appealing package with a major flaw, and the Speed Triple RR is also an amazing bike as well. Clearly the twin/triple engine is appealing to the manufacturers to meet emissions, and non 4cyclinder engines are cheaper to build.

· Registered
'08 r1
3,598 Posts
This. A million times over. The way things are going.
The people trying to push this, they are literally anti chainsaw. How can a person be anti chainsaw? Or anti dirtbike.

To me, that's completely unamerican. There is just something basically wrong with the idea that my daughter should never travel more than 15 minutes by foot from her house in her life.

The industry keeps manufacturing, but, the state has blatantly stated that any vehicle manufactured after 2019 with an internal combustion engine will not be able to be registered for the road after 2030.

Why would I burn 14k on a new bike when it's lifespan is limited in such a way.

· Registered
102 Posts
The people trying to push this, they are literally anti chainsaw. How can a person be anti chainsaw? Or anti dirtbike.

To me, that's completely unamerican. There is just something basically wrong with the idea that my daughter should never travel more than 15 minutes by foot from her house in her life.

The industry keeps manufacturing, but, the state has blatantly stated that any vehicle manufactured after 2019 with an internal combustion engine will not be able to be registered for the road after 2030.

Why would I burn 14k on a new bike when it's lifespan is limited in such a way.
I don’t see this happening. CA is set to ban the sale of new ICE vehicles by 2035, but anything built before then will be okay. If that were the case the value of ICE vehicles would significantly go down every year between now and 2035. I can see the elimination of sales of none CAT/aftermarket exhausts. And maybe a reformulation of gas driving the cost to 7, $8 a gallon? I can see that happening. You can bet your ass when 2035 comes, the price of a gallon of gasoline is going to double or triple.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts