Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
'08 r1
3,624 Posts
Here's some reading about small engines, like, chainsaws;
Here's some news about the 2030/2035 agenda;
It looks like information about the end of car registration for combustion vehicles has been memory holed. It was everywhere a few months ago, and there was lots of backlash.
The idea of taxing you by your odometer has been floated as a way to get older vehicles off the road and a way to fund the central government. That's got to be a win win, right?
Here's the bill out of Washington state, if you read the bill, it targets registration of vehicles manufactured before 2030 and bans the sale of combustion engines by 2030;
This type of legislation has been floated in other states. The cutoff for registration is 2019 model year. Then, if I'm reading the room correctly, they will tax you by the odometer. Part of the reason for this is that electric and hybrid vehicles don't pay enough road tax for the infrastructure.

· amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unfortunately, I think the way of the inline 4 Is a thing of the past. European racing teams and the European market are getting away from them. Yamaha is not going to make an online for just for America. I strongly think that we are going to see the end of the or one in the upcoming years. It will be replaced with twins and triples. I am excited to see what the R9 has to offer from my power standpoint periobviously I'm not nothing will beat the R1 as far as pure horse power but the delivery of torque on the triple maybe enough to sway the general populace. The hat tip to the 1998 R1 is pretty cool though. Good job Yamaha

· Registered
'08 r1
3,624 Posts
I do like the color.

If it's anything like the mt09, and I'm guessing it is, the thing is going to be fun, a little goofy and provide comfortable torque. An r style suspension will make the chassis more compliant and less spongy.

So far as inline 4's go, if I were buying a new one today, it'd probably be a Kawasaki zx4. Have you seen that redline? Man those little angry bikes are so stupid.

· Venom X/O
26,977 Posts
Unless it makes power up top, the 4cyl can’t go anywhere. Yamaha may be looking towards v4 development, which I wouldn’t hate, but a triple or twin will never be the end all. Middleweight bikes will get smoked by clapped out R6’s if they don’t start tweaking the top end.

· Registered
180 Posts
Unless it makes power up top, the 4cyl can’t go anywhere. Yamaha may be looking towards v4 development, which I wouldn’t hate, but a triple or twin will never be the end all. Middleweight bikes will get smoked by clapped out R6’s if they don’t start tweaking the top end.
A triple in the 600 class is possible. Triumph has proved that, but not in the liter class. Ducati has proved that a 1200 cc twin costs too much to make it compete with 1000 4cyl.

· Registered
55 Posts
The CP3 is a great platform. I have an XSR900, love that bike for just what it is; a torquey little hooligan. Problem is, and the same issue I had when they released the R7, this motor is not deserving of the “R” brand in its current state. The photos look great but for me that’s only because it has that nostalgia with the graphics rolled in, the bike underneath is good but it’s not R good. But you can say the same for the R3 and the R125 (released abroad), it just seems the new emerging market/generation are not necessarily the same as the previous, or Yamaha is just trying to maximize profits by rolling the same power plant across multiple genres of bikes.

Out of the box the R9 will likely be unique but annoying to the true heritage crew. The ergos on the R7 are more aggressive than the MT-07, yet far more laidback than the R6, so for use on the track it’ll need some immediate modifying to get it into R series aggressiveness… I’m assuming the R9 will be the same. Everything I’ve read is that it’s essentially a “sporty” bike with useable torque (this I can confirm) but with ergos that while are a bit more aggressive, will still be palatable for daily riding/commuting for those who can’t or don’t want to do all out superbikes. This bike won’t really be aimed at the R1/R6 group, however the concern with the R6 now being gone, will the R1 follow? I sure hope not. But who knows.

The bike will need a few things.

• Upgraded suspension is a must. While the new gen MT/XSR is supposedly better, the prior gens had the worst suspension. Sloppy at the front and rock hard in the rear.
  • Throttle needs work. Again, latest gen is supposedly improved, but it’s some serious on/off jerkiness. ECU flash admittedly takes care of this.
  • RPM increased. Tops out at 11.7k after a flash, I think 11.4K before. You can’t be part of the R brand and not go above 12k, come on. It catches up on you too, banging off the limiter before you realize. Now this may have changed on the latest gen, but I doubt anything considerable.
  • Needs more ponies. It has tons of torque, lots of fun down low. But once you get moving it feels like you’re falling flat pretty quickly where a higher HP output should take over. My R6 is quiet down low but is just coming alive as the CP3 needs to upshift again.

When I first got the XSR, I naively thought the linear power delivery would prepare me for a CP4… not even close. The R9 could never replace the R1, and the R6 beats it too for the purists.

· Registered
122 Posts
Sale numbers and Euro emission standards may have been sending Yamaha a message they simply couldn’t ignore, that may be what’s behind their shift in outright track aggresivness in the “ R “ line up.A test ride by the customer who wants more of an everyday bike may hand down the cash rather than walk away from a track focused, less comfortable format,and the everyday rider sales is what keeps Yamaha’s doors open.In AUS the R6 is still in their model range ,dot pointed “ RACE READY SPECIFICATION “.just not street legal,so they are still catering for the track riders,and who knows that in time the R1 may go the same way,still available but not as a street legal bike. Manufactures of any product have to look ahead in time and take a path to ensure their future,the “R “ designation will be used on any model they see fit to pin it on,it’s all so we can still buy a Yamaha in years to come.

· Premium Member
294 Posts
I guess it's purpose is as a replacement for the R6. If that's the case, it's basically the same power and weight, with a bit more low end torque. It could be a really fun sports bike if they bring it out with the MT09-SP Öhlins suspension. I get why Yamaha is doing it, they don't have anything for the huge gap between the R7 (yuck) and the R1.

· Registered
3 Posts
I built an R9 last year, from a 21 MT09 and I don't imagine it will be too difficult for an R6 rider to adapt to. I usually ride GP250, and I think my R9 is still fun to ride. It's a supersport, and not a superbike though.

They are already adapting supersport rules to allow bikes like an R9, V2's. It is lightweight and can definitely run with Panigale V2's on track.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts