Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
What are you looking to do? The R1 does not have a limiter. The speedo stops reading at a certain KMH but the motor continues to pull. If you want the speedo to read higher you will have to look at the aftermarket speedos available.
If you want to fix the factory speedo error or error caused by gearing changes then you want to look at getting a Speedo Healer.

·
D BOSS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An 06 with the "G-pack" and k&n, ignition module, full exhaust sys and pcIII did 328 kmh. European model always. And even a friend's kawa ZX-10 05 with exhaust ecc... + G-pack did 330kmh. When you reach 270kmh (without G-pack) the ecu restriction will start reducing power, at 299kmh the engine is only giving around 145bhp. So if you have the G-pack from 270kmh upwards you accelerate more faster as the bike is giving full power. Fact!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
that's exactly what i was told as well.
The ECU on the 2007 R1 will start tapering off power approaching it's limited speed. It's how Yamaha does it.

unless I'm incorrect, but it's what I heard.
I bet dollars to donuts the Yamaha race ECY doesn't taper off ANYWHERE.
Hell, the 2007 will only give you 60% throttle below 7000 rpm, even it YOU WANT FULL THROTTLE ... I personally think that just BITES!
My 1985 GS 1150 EF will kill my 2007 R1 off the lights ... That just should NOT happen !! 550lbs with 126 HP launching WAY harder then a 178+ 400Lbs bike 22 years newer.
THat's why I just bought a 15tooth counter sprocket. I want to wake this thing up.

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
what did you do to get 178hp out of your 07?

I don't see a 06 R1 going 203mph with just an exhaust, pc,ignition module, and G-pack.

I could be very wrong, but I don't see 10-15 hp adding nearly 20mph.

if you are going by indicated speed on the speedo, you are only fooling yourself.

I bet if you use a GPS you will get very different numbers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
in canada we read mainly "HP at Fly-wheel" 178 = about what ? 154-ish at wheel.
I must agree with Jays, GPS speed will be QUITE a bit SLOWER then indicated on Speedo.
I used to have fun letting folk Take a good highway RIP on my CBR1100XX... They'd come back astounded at the acceleration numbers. (it's amazing how a loud pipe and two teeth down on Counter-sprocket can trick folks into believing they are running 300+ kph)
Oh the little secret of Speedo ERROR :)

Christ will never tell on you ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
i'm one tooth down at the rear and I hit limiter in sixth(depends on the day). I easily get 299km/h in fifth then change to sixth until I hit the limiter. What gearing are you using if u doing 334km/h and how does your clock show that?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
that's exactly what i was told as well.
The ECU on the 2007 R1 will start tapering off power approaching it's limited speed. It's how Yamaha does it.

unless I'm incorrect, but it's what I heard.
I bet dollars to donuts the Yamaha race ECY doesn't taper off ANYWHERE.
Hell, the 2007 will only give you 60% throttle below 7000 rpm, even it YOU WANT FULL THROTTLE ... I personally think that just BITES!
My 1985 GS 1150 EF will kill my 2007 R1 off the lights ... That just should NOT happen !! 550lbs with 126 HP launching WAY harder then a 178+ 400Lbs bike 22 years newer.
THat's why I just bought a 15tooth counter sprocket. I want to wake this thing up.
Don't mean to butt into ur thread but is that 60% power under 7k rpm thing really true? because that would explain why my bike feels like a wuss on the street compared to my previous bike ('03 GSXR 1000) I was really disappointed when I bought my R1 then I got used to it and learned to love the great handling and styling.
Someone needs to come up with a fix for that though... something like the GSXR's TRE would be nice!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i just had my 2007 R1 on highway today (0 degrees celcius ... brrr) and with 15 tooth from on bike. Ran to INDICATED 299 kph and sat there. No 300 or more

I had LOTs of room ... this bike's (Canadian version) reads "only" (lol) to 299kph. And I KNOW it's way off running the 15 tooth and NO SPEEDO HEALER!

christ

·
Eat my dirt....
276 Posts
Looks like the rev limiter remover....nothing new.......:)...used to do that on my TLR for racing, cutting a wire gives you around 500rpm more...removing the "soft limiter"

No point in buying the module just for that......and keep in mind that is true 13000rpm, not what you see on the clocks...if you have a PCIII and PC, hook it up and compare what the PC reads and the clocks...you'll be surprised to know they are different...just like the clocks, there is a margin of error...:fact

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.