Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Professional Beer Consumer
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 02 R1. 1st gear wheelies are a no brainer. 25 mph, roll the throttle and stand that bastard up. What speed are you guys at when you kick it up in 2nd. I know you don't need any clutch to stand up 2nd - but are you bouncing the suspension by rolling off then on the throttle? Or are you standing up bouncing the pegs? I run out of RPM in 1st in wheelies, and I try boot shifting it into 2nd but i back off the t hrottle (don't want to end up on my back shifting to hard).
Let me know ur styles of 2nd gear wheelies. gotta be able to stand that whore up on the highway!!!
:rock

· If you can do it, so can I!
205 Posts
I don't like to go from first to second because i hear it's bad on the transmission. Mainly because you have to go through neutral.

If you are going to pick it up in second run the rpm's up to 5500 bearly clutch it and your off. Or run it up to 55 mph roll off the gas and punch it. But be careful it comes up fast.:thumbup :thumbup

· pavement tester....
7,317 Posts
2nd gear wheelie done today!

Well, the only thing I got after much trial and error, is like this (courtesy swedie)
i ran it up to about 8k, and bounced it up. Its all about timing as I figured out. you only let off the throttle for a split second and give a decent tug while gasing it. The one other thing that helped out bigtime, was moving my butt all the way to the rear of the seat. WHenever I time it just right, she comes up no problem. If I dont time it right, she will only come up about 2 feet and I gotta gas it to get up all the way.

Kind of scary for me. Wheelies sure are more scary at higher speeds than they are in 1st gear. THe only thing that really helped me was practice practice practice

Hope this helps
(next task, shifting from 2nd to 3rd)

· Others try too hard...
57 Posts
Be gentle if playing with the clutch, if you let it go too fast you will simply do a 50mi/hr burnout, I usually clutch it at 4-5grand. BUT, I am picking up my new friction plates tomorrow, they only lasted 3000 miles, clutching it up is rough on the clutch. Be careful, have fun
:finger

· R1's revenge
62 Posts
put two fingures over the clucth lever and keep em there,wheelie it in first, hit the balance point...

tap the lever, and snick it into second (might wanna give it a hare less throttle or you'll be looking at a 12 o clock wheelie..)

and keep riding it... do as many gears as you can...

to practice good throttle control, keep it in second gear and see how long you can ride the wheelie with out increasing your speed..

i know guys that can do it for about an haour and a half straight on a 750..

also another aid to wheelie is slightly lower gearing..i went two teeth up on the rear of my 02.

· Others try too hard...
57 Posts
Dcarde, we mean pull the clutch lever in while ridding in (preferably) 2nd gear while accelerating, let the revs go up and you smoothly let the clutch out. As the clutch gets a grip, the front wheel will lift up. Be gentle though, you dont want to lift up too fast. Some people in here rev it up past 8grand to wheelie, I personaly clutch it at about 4grand and let it rev up to about 6000, it will lift up. I guess it depends on how much you weigh. Try to keep you right foot over your rear brake just in case you go past 12 o'clock.
Look for the Max Biaggi video to get a feal for how far you can actually go if you have the cohones.

· Registered
93 Posts
Vega said:

Dcarde, we mean pull the clutch lever in while ridding in (preferably) 2nd gear while accelerating, let the revs go up and you smoothly let the clutch out. As the clutch gets a grip, the front wheel will lift up. Be gentle though, you dont want to lift up too fast. Some people in here rev it up past 8grand to wheelie, I personaly clutch it at about 4grand and let it rev up to about 6000, it will lift up. I guess it depends on how much you weigh. Try to keep you right foot over your rear brake just in case you go past 12 o'clock.
Look for the Max Biaggi video to get a feal for how far you can actually go if you have the cohones.
Vega, sorry for asking this question as I'm a newbie to wheelies. Used to ride an NC 35 and I had to dump the clutch in 1st in order to pop a wheelie. When you say clutch it in, do you just pull the clutch in halfway or all the way in ?

· R1's revenge
62 Posts
just using the throttle in first will get you up to the balance point easy, then you need to tap the clutch to get into second gear...

or you can ride in second at like 4k revs, "slip" (pull in enough to where the revs will rise, up to about 8k, then feed out the lever fast but progressive..

sitting back in the seat till you but hits the rear hump helps tons..

btw..be ready to support you weight without using your right hand for support, wouldn't want any bad body english to effect the throttle movemnet..

· Registered
93 Posts
O2R1 said:
just using the throttle in first will get you up to the balance point easy, then you need to tap the clutch to get into second gear...

or you can ride in second at like 4k revs, "slip" (pull in enough to where the revs will rise, up to about 8k, then feed out the lever fast but progressive..

sitting back in the seat till you but hits the rear hump helps tons..

btw..be ready to support you weight without using your right hand for support, wouldn't want any bad body english to effect the throttle movemnet..
I've tried just opening the throttle from about 3000rpm, but the bike just shoots forward very quickly but the front still stays on the ground.

Am I supposed to open the throttle all the way very very very quickly or just progressively?

· Others try too hard...
57 Posts
R1_Singapore, what do you mean by loosing power?
If you mean losing power after you tried to use the clutch to pull wheelies, then you wasted the clutch and you need to replace. My bike has a little over 3000miles on it and I allready have to change my clutch, this is just a reminder that if you are going to use your clutch to wheelie, you will have to replace it more ofter than usual.
But, if you are refering to losing power in some other way, please be more descriptive of what you are feeling, until then :rock have fun on first gear wheelies.

Mobius, first of all, try opening the throttle at 4000rpms, second, you have to twist your wrist faster than what I am sure you are doing. Accelerate slowly to about 4K and then whack it open, try paracticing little increments of whack speed, you dont want to flip it back the first time you lift it off the ground. You should have no problem at all doing first gear wheelies on an R1.

Actually for all those wanting to wheelie in 2nd gear, you should be able to do power wheelies in 2nd gear.
Try this: After you learn how to do power wheelies in 1st gear, try reving it up to about 6K in second (sit as far back on your saddle as possible) then decelerate fast, letting the front shocks compress, as soon as they bottom out, whack the throttle open just like you did in first gear, the front wheel will lift right up and you will be able to ride it further and faster than you ever did in first gear.
After you learn that, we can discuss shifting gears.
Have fun and be safe, I hope this helps :thumbup

· Sinner
124 Posts
:( Well the problem i'm facing now is that sometime after i clutch in and release at abt 7 to 8k rpms the rpm fall back to abt 5k, and the wheel don't lift..:cryin

How do you know or tell when there is a clutch problem??:confused: Recently when i was traveling high speed, i couldn't shift gear, causing the rpm to stuck at red zone, speed then kept decreasing.
:no

· Registered
93 Posts
R1_Singapore said:

:hellobye Wan to try it together?? Y u never speak in my thread liao Mobius?:thumbup
Oops...sorry....Well I'll be out tonite, so I'll probably try it on the long stretch next to NIE, coz I live nearby....
Pehaps we should try organising a supper outing again one of these days :D

· Professional Beer Consumer
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
highway wheelies

My R-1 is a beast! I figured out my 2nd gear wheelies (no clutch) - just pure power! around town they are a bit fast - so i hit the highway!!!
50-60 mph, slightly lean back - roll the throttle off then on and that thing comes right up! 2nd gear wheelies are so much smoother and less iratic (nice spelling huh) than 1st gear power wheelies. I put it up on the highway - point it straight and go for a ride. I have to now learn to put it into its balance point sooner so i don't run out of rpms. I ride them to the rev limiter in 2nd which makes for a hell of a wheelie.
people love seeing highway wheelies. :rock

· Sinner
124 Posts
R1_Singapore said:
:( Well the problem i'm facing now is that sometime after i clutch in and release at abt 7 to 8k rpms the rpm fall back to abt 5k, and the wheel don't lift..:cryin

How do you know or tell when there is a clutch problem??:confused: Recently when i was traveling high speed, i couldn't shift gear, causing the rpm to stuck at red zone, speed then kept decreasing.
:no
Can anyone tell me the problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.