Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine says that sometimes coming out of a corner fast or giving a lot of throttle on the highway can loft is front all the way up in 3rd gear.. with only throttle.. no clutch or anything!

Is that true? Has anyone in here done that? I gotta try it in Spain on the Jerez track :)

Anyone? Or is it just BS?

·
My R1 Eats My Pay Check!
152 Posts
Yes and No...

If certain conditions are met, you can bring it up in 3rd with little more that twisting your wrist. It'll even come up violently fast!

My current setup: full akro, stock jets, 1 tooth down on front, appx. 140 @ rear-wheel).

·
Registered
7 Posts
its very possible. my r1 can come up in fourth standing up and giving it a little bounce. but my choice is third i can ride them alot longer and its not as hard on the engine. and its good for triple digit wheelies. im running a full hindle exaust and dyno jets everything else is stock.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
Y2KRED you might want to put some jets(Ivan's are the best for full Akrapovic) in there if not you risk running to lean and burning up valves. Full exhaust tends to run leaner then stock. Not trying to be preachy but would rather see ya riding than working on it. By the way where you at in Texas,I am in Houston

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay.. Browsed the site and the dynos looks fab!
But I don't know if I got 4-2-1 exhaust system.

I got the MIG high-pipe connected at the bottom of the bike..
From what I can see it is a 4-1 system.

140 bucks.. hmm.. I got that.. at.. hmm! Yahoo!

So how do I order? Do I have to phone them?

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,889 Posts
Mattias1 said:
Your pipe is a slip-on, not a full system. Good for noise, not as good as a fullsystem for power. (It´s also good for wrecking your engine if you don´t change anything in the carbs...)
Absolutly correct,you gotta put a jet kit in if you go full system. Swedie get 1000.00USD and e mail Ivan and order a full Akrapovic system and his jet kit(he designed it just for the R1 with full Akra) it is drop in and go. He may also tell you other things you want to know,he is the R1 God:rock
His e mail address [email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm brand new to this mental machines. got a '98 and tell u i've almost shat myself when she came up 1st time in 3rd gear -just throttle i promise.
some more experienced that have ridden mine says she must be modified cause she's farking viscious. "boucing in 4th to wheelie" - i'm not even dreaming about doing that yet.
putting her onto dyno soon - will post graph.
took her to 299 other day and boy oh boy its scary how quick she gets there.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dude, this is a FOUR YEAR OLD thread.

Yes, I was enventually able to wheelie the R1 sitting in 4th gear and standing (bouncing) in 6th gear. When low on gas of course.

·
Enjoy yourself bitches!
395 Posts
:lol . Too funny, i didn't look at the thread date at first, i was like WTF is swedie doing ordering a Ivan's jet kit for his 04 R1??? For a moment i thought he had started smoking crack again:D .

·
Registered
18 Posts
i got a 99 with Ivan jet kit and use a highmount mig the shit all the difference... he did some work for me he real good + he explains everything....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.