Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 677 Posts

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
I bought the 1 07 R1, had 4600 miles. Now has 5000. I did an oil change to 20w 50 yamalube, iridium plugs and a new air filter. After i did the plugs and filter I'm noticing a tick around 5000 rpms. Is this something i should be worried about? What should i check or look for. I don't hear tick at idle or at higher rpm.
Pull the air filter and look down the intakes. You can see the valve stem and will see if there is a problem.

·
My R1 and Only
136 Posts
Pull the air filter and look down the intakes. You can see the valve stem and will see if there is a problem.
Ok, I've read this entire thread twice. Ive noticed the ones with issues have a discoloration on the bad intakes. Is that correct and what i should be looking for?

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
Ok, I've read this entire thread twice. Ive noticed the ones with issues have a discoloration on the bad intakes. Is that correct and what i should be looking for?
You'll see the valve stem is shaved down. It will be thinner and shiny clean. You'll also see metal shavings in the intake tract.

·
My R1 and Only
136 Posts
You'll see the valve stem is shaved down. It will be thinner and shiny clean. You'll also see metal shavings in the intake tract.
Ok thanks. I didn't realize id be able to see the stem, just thought i could see the top of the valves.

Do i need to take anything else off besides the filter?

Ill take pictures later and post them. Currently wiring a paper :/ but all i can think about is going into the garage!

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
That's the blade of the throttle body. You have to open it to see the valves.
use a screw driver to push it open.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
You can turn the throttle to open them too. Unless it's some kind of fly by wire setup then you would have to open them with a screwdriver.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
So try looking in that same hole but twist the throttle so you can see past those blades

·
burnin' up the streets
8,786 Posts
I don't recall which way the open but if you push the front or the back they ought to move. It will take a little bit of pressure, they won't just fall open.
Short of that you could remove the throttle bodies all together and then have a look.

·
My R1 and Only
136 Posts
I might just remove them. Seems like it would be easier to see. I put it back together tho cause I'm going to cookout, I'll check tomorrow again.

I just took it for a quick ride, double checked it ticks around 3000 - 3500 rpm, whether I'm giving it throttle or not. Clutch pulled nothing at those rpms.

Power seems to be there still, but i just bought it so haven't ridden much might not notice a slight difference. Ive owned a r1 years ago, so haven ridden a liter in some time. Coming off an r6 most recent.

Could it be because i just changed plugs and air filter? Something to do with either of them? I torqued the plugs to 1.4 m.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can use the throttle on 07-08 to open the plates too.
Just put the bike in DIAG mode
Turn ignition off, press and old select and reset button. Turn ignition on and keep pressing until you see "DIAG" on display.
Let go both buttons and press them again for about two 2sec to enter DIAG mode.

You'll see D1 on display after that plates will open using throttle with engine off.

·
My R1 and Only
136 Posts
You can use the throttle on 07-08 to open the plates too.
Just put the bike in DIAG mode
Turn ignition off, press and old select and reset button. Turn ignition on and keep pressing until you see "DIAG" on display.
Let go both buttons and press them again for about two 2sec to enter DIAG mode.

You'll see D1 on display after that plates will open using throttle with engine off.
Great info, thanks! I'll try it tomorrow. I'm still not sure what to look for.

A dealership i talked to today said i couldn't see the stems without taking part of the engine apart.

I just want to know what to look for to see if I'm getting the dreaded valve stem wear problem and how to check it. Can it be done by simply?

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
It's fly by wire. Twisting throttle does nothing. I'm looking at the blades now.
I had a feeling it probably was I just was concerned about him pushing too hard with a screwdriver on the side that comes up causing more damage. Ya gotta watch helping others sometimes on a forum it's easy to tell them to shove a screwdriver down there because you know exactly what's needed to be done but in this case it's obvious to me by the last pic of the throttle blades the op is not at all familiar with what he is even trying to look for and I just don't want him causing damage to his throttle plates. Good to hear he can open them with the throttle in diag mode.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,352 Posts
Oops I quoted the wrong post. Lol

·
My R1 and Only
136 Posts
I had a feeling it probably was I just was concerned about him pushing too hard with a screwdriver on the side that comes up causing more damage. Ya gotta watch helping others sometimes on a forum it's easy to tell them to shove a screwdriver down there because you know exactly what's needed to be done but in this case it's obvious to me by the last pic of the throttle blades the op is not at all familiar with what he is even trying to look for and I just don't want him causing damage to his throttle plates. Good to hear he can open them with the throttle in diag mode.
Ya i appreciate the reply, i pushed with a decent amount of pressureand they wouldn't open. I'll just take them off tomorrow and look inside.

But will i be able to see the stems? That's all I'm concerned about. I know what bad ones look like from reading this thread. I don't want to pay a shop hundreds to check for wear. The dealer i spoke to said it would cost 400 for a valve adjustment, which they said was about the same amount of engine disassembly to check for stem wear.

That doesn't seem right. Just from reading this thread it seems easier then that. But i haven't found step by step instructions on what to take apart.

621 - 640 of 677 Posts